U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 02:40 PM

7,685 posts, read 5,421,045 times

Advertisements

I've seen lots of questions where posters are asking for serious help.

In the past few days, I've seen questions regarding symptoms what could have been a serious eye or stroke issue and a possible heart attack.

Most CDers have no professional training and give anecdotal information only.

Some talk about friends, or worse-friends of friends. And some posters jump on alt-med for everything

A few of us have professional degrees. I'm a pharmacist and I know there are quite a few nurses here. I can't remember a doctor answering a question

If something is wrong wit you, go to the emergency room or make an appointment with your doc.

Do not waste precious time here looking for non-answers

I can see asking questions regarding rehab and long term illnesses like diabetes and allergies. Time is not important for those
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 02:55 PM

17,727 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I've seen lots of questions where posters are asking for serious help.

In the past few days, I've seen questions regarding symptoms what could have been a serious eye or stroke issue and a possible heart attack.

Most CDers have no professional training and give anecdotal information only.

Some talk about friends, or worse-friends of friends. And some posters jump on alt-med for everything

A few of us have professional degrees. I'm a pharmacist and I know there are quite a few nurses here. I can't remember a doctor answering a question

If something is wrong wit you, go to the emergency room or make an appointment with your doc.

Do not waste precious time here looking for non-answers

I can see asking questions regarding rehab and long term illnesses like diabetes and allergies. Time is not important for those

Excellent thread. I actually worry over some of these people...and try to always state that no one on cd can diagnose any medical condition. Period.

Some are in a bit of denial, I suspect...not wanting to consider a unfortunate diagnosis or some don't understand that we really can't help them... except to say call your MD or go to the ER.

Maybe your thread will help...

Old 07-08-2018, 03:18 PM

2,935 posts, read 1,029,830 times
People who are having extreme symptoms that would jump on CD and ask for a diagnosis are not playing with a full deck, and thus will probably not benefit from common sense advice that they dial 911 or somehow get medical assistance asap.

You're probably preaching to the choir - maybe address those people personally in their posts when you see the posts?

Old 07-08-2018, 03:18 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,713,650 times
I don't think many seriously look for answers on here. Perhaps look for others that have had similar experiences and what they did to treat the problem. There is no substitute for seeing a qualified physician in person and I believe most go that route.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:35 PM

1,371 posts, read 659,454 times
I'm sure most people note the disclaimer at the top of the forum. At least I hope they do.

I can see asking questions about symptoms while waiting for a doctor appointment to take place, or asking questions about what worked for someone else when trying to alleviate symptoms, that kind of thing. I'm hoping no one actually comes here seriously looking for a diagnosis.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:01 PM

18,913 posts, read 6,176,358 times
OP: I don't look for answers but I will ask others to share experiences. I have posted in Alt Med for the couple yrs I've been here and many of what I've posted is what I have used or use for my own issues.

Why have this forum if not to ask some questions of members. Most end up going to their doctors anyway, but like to hear others opinions on an issue they may be dealing with.

What harm is there...again why have H&W. Personally I don't run to doctors and the ER for every little thing. And so much we can "fix" on our own. If we have the mind to do so.

Why does anyone come here? Even you.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-08-2018 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 04:08 PM

17,727 posts, read 3,576,255 times
No, not just asking treatment comparisons....I've had someone ask me if she should go to the doctor due to chest pain and one who asked should he call a hotline since he was suicidal...

Old 07-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm sure most people note the disclaimer at the top of the forum. At least I hope they do.

I can see asking questions about symptoms while waiting for a doctor appointment to take place, or asking questions about what worked for someone else when trying to alleviate symptoms, that kind of thing. I'm hoping no one actually comes here seriously looking for a diagnosis.
Unfortunately, they do

Old 07-08-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Why does anyone come here? Even you.
I come here hoping to convince someone to seek real help

Old 07-08-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No, not just asking treatment comparisons....I've had someone ask me if she should go to the doctor due to chest pain and one who asked should he call a hotline since he was suicidal...
That's exactly what Im talking about.

The two I referred to in OP, 1 had black eye spots and couldn't recognize faces--possible stroke or brain bleed or macular degeneration ot severe glaucoma (I told to go to ER - I hope it was "just eye migraines as some people suggested)

The other asked if skin cream could cause arm and back pain, wakness and SOB (heart attack symptoms in women-again, I hope not)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or