U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM

67,695 posts, read 77,484,134 times

Advertisements

Hubby will probably call his doctor tomorrow but maybe someone will have some idea about this: about a month or so ago his arm started hurting and was really stiff. It was so weak he had to use his left hand to lift his right hand. Doctor thought is was a mussel problem and suggested PT for him. Well he has an appointment with the PT Tues. yesterday he got up, the soreness completely disappeared and except for being a little weak it is fine. But, the interesting thing is: he has a huge bruise on his upper arm and it is all red. Anyone, any ideas? It appears to us, it something broke releasing blood or whatever but also giving him use of his arm again again. Our granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner doesn't even have an idea other than a possible blood clot that has moved, but doesn't seem likely it would cause the bruise and redness.

Last edited by elnina; Today at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM

32,642 posts, read 37,917,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hubby will probably call his doctor tomorrow but maybe someone will have some idea about this: about a month or so ago his arm started hurting and was really stiff. It was so weak he had to use his left hand to lift his right hand. Doctor thought is was a mussel problem and suggested PT for him. Well he has an appointment with the PT Tues. yesterday he got up, the soreness completely disappeared and except for being a little weak it is fine. But, the interesting thing is: he has a huge bruise on his upper arm and it is all red. Anyone, any ideas? It appears to us, it something broke releasing blood or whatever but also giving him use of his arm again again. Our granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner doesn't even have an idea other than a possible blood clot that has moved, but doesn't seem likely it would cause the bruise and redness.
About 2 years ago i had weakness in my left arm,it also became noticeably swollen,a trip to the emergency room diagnosed me as being in the primary stages of a stroke.Take it seriously and get it checked out.

Old Today, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
About 2 years ago i had weakness in my left arm,it also became noticeably swollen,a trip to the emergency room diagnosed me as being in the primary stages of a stroke.Take it seriously and get it checked out.
thanks, yes, he will see his doctor in a few days depending on what happens next, but remember he has had this for a few months and has seen the doctor already.

Old Today, 06:46 AM

32,403 posts, read 50,035,147 times
It's possible that he hit his arm, but don't remember when and how?

A heart attack can cause pain in one or both arms. A heart attack happens when the oxygen supply to your heart is completely cut off due to a blockage that prevents blood from flowing into the muscle. Did he experienced any other symptoms? Like stiffness in chest or shortness of breath?
It might a.
lso be the result of stress, a new medication, or another medical condition like pinched nerve or herniated disc, arthritis...
He shouldn't wait a month till see the doctor.

Last edited by elnina; Today at 06:56 AM..

Old Today, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's possible that he hit his arm, but don't remember when and how?

A heart attack can cause pain in one or both arms. A heart attack happens when the oxygen supply to your heart is completely cut off due to a blockage that prevents blood from flowing into the muscle. Did he experienced any other symptoms? Like stiffness in chest or shortness of breath?
It might a.
lso be the result of stress, a new medication, or another medical condition like pinched nerve or herniated disc, arthritis...
He shouldn't wait a month till see the doctor.
thanks, I guess I worded it wrong; he didn't wait a month to see the doctor, the soreness started about a month or so ago, and he did see the doctor shortly after. He thought it was his shoulder. The doctor thought it was in his bicep and advised PT. The stiffness went away all of a sudden 3 days ago when the redness and bruising showed up. He is scheduled to start PT tomorrow or at least see the PT tomorrow. I don't think it is a stroke or heat attack because it has been going on too long and he didn't have any of the usual heart attack systems. The strange thing is still the disappearance of the stiffness and the appearance of the bruising.

Thanks to everyone who is giving us possible ideas.

Old Today, 11:05 AM

16,183 posts, read 5,101,440 times
Many people bruise when their blood gets too thin. I have two friends now on pharma blood thinners and they bruise very easily. They want to take omega 3's and other supps but live with the pharma blood thinner issue. They both were hit with afib a couple yrs ago and that's another story. I have my theories on all that.

Old Today, 02:15 PM

Well I am guessing it is just coincidental this happened at the same time, the soreness and stiffness went away and he bumped his are on something. He just doesn't remember bumping on anything. Yes, we all bruise easily as we age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness