U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 01:04 PM

33,493 posts, read 40,142,704 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the encouragement. But sitting in an uncomfortable chair for 4 hours 3X a week is every bit the boring monotony i thought it was going to be,and the tubes now sticking out of my neck are a bit hideous to look at,fortunately the dialysis team are very friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 PM

5,158 posts, read 13,004,036 times
Hubby's been on dialysis for almost 3 years now. We do home-hemo....you MUST have a partner to do this. I'm his "nurse" (his wife). Had to go thru training to allow us to do it at home. We do 4 days per week, 3 hrs, 15 mins per treatment. Being home allows us to do it when it suits us...morning....afternoon...whenever it works. We can change days if we have to because of other appointments, or whatever...as long as we do our 4 days throughout the week.

The catheter you have is easy for the techs....hubby lost his 1st fistula...it ruptured and he nearly bled to death. A new fistula has been created...it's not quite mature enough to use yet, but soon. He has the catheter now, and I love it, because I don't have to cannulate him....that's the most stressful part for me. But, a catheter isn't a long-term solution...it's hard on your heart.

Dialysis is a "stop-gap" measure until you can get a kidney. Are you on a transplant list? You need to be!

Old 01-17-2019, 02:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,850,127 times
Dialysis sucks, but it beats the alternative. I am on my sixth year now (peritoneal). I had a heart attack in which the toxic dye used in the angioplasty took my weekend kidneys (due to chemo about 12 years previous) over the edge.

At first I was in denial as I was on the 3 day a week hemo schedule. Had to quit my career as an offshore sportfishermen and join the ranks of the disabled. I did wash a few boats but just those three days destroyed my schedule. Then I was put on peritoneal dialysis at home. Since I didn't/don't retain fluids I only do it twice a night manually (why I'm on my PC now at 2:30 in the morning.

So the next year I went back to offshore fishing, though part time as another heart attack (this time with a quad bypass) killed that season.

Then back to fishing the next season, as well as growing my boat washing business. (The boat detailing lets me due it on my time, at my pace)

Really made it through the season offshore fishing 2 years ago when I realized that those 5AM to 9PM days were taking it's toll. It is really a young mans game, not for a 50 year old dialysis patient.

But I don't give up as I bought a 21ft center console and am now on my second season with it as a full time (though seasonal) deal. It takes a lot less out of me as I'm only fishing the back bays for several hours per trip. Of course I'm part time running a larger center console for somebody to get my offshore fix.

I'm sure there aren't many with kidney failure doing what I do but I'm stating this to show that life doesn't have to end because of dialysis. The only thing I can't do is travel long term but I gave that up 2 years before this mess started. Though I have visited Colombia and Costa Rica several times since I began PT and have taken a few last minute trips to FL so vacations can still be enjoyed!

The only side affect is that I have started getting that itch in the past 6 month's. Usually for about a week (worse at night, of course) but the rest of the time I am fine. I blame that on my addiction to coka cola, pizza, and everything else that is bad for kidney patients!

On year number 5 on the transplant list but unfortunately, I am type o listed through Baltimore which has one of the longest waiting periods. Basically, I don't keep a bag packed.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 AM

1,659 posts, read 3,062,995 times
marlinfshr~

I am so happy for you! I wish I were a good candidate for pd, but there are just too many contraindications and my Docs refuse to entertain pd.

I know the frustration of not being being able to do everything you want to. I do travel back and forth between our two homes, but it takes a lot out of me.

Don't lose hope over a transplant. I am not even on the list and that is okay; I want someone to have the kidney that will change their life as it would essentially be wasted on me.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:29 AM

I asked the nephrologist about transplants yesterday she informed me one has to go through rigorous testing to qualify to be a recipient she said in my case before i even think about applying id have to lose a lot of weight (80lbs)

Old Today, 03:25 PM

totally into dialysis now and although the experience isnt great i'm now feeling much more invigorated,much more energy and actually losing a bit of weight as they extract 2 liters of water on every session as well as a thorough blood cleaning. My new best friend =
https://www.amdnext.com/fresenius-20...l#.XGh_kuhKhRY

Old Today, 05:07 PM

9,465 posts, read 6,653,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
totally into dialysis now and although the experience isnt great i'm now feeling much more invigorated,much more energy and actually losing a bit of weight as they extract 2 liters of water on every session as well as a thorough blood cleaning. My new best friend =
https://www.amdnext.com/fresenius-20...l#.XGh_kuhKhRY

So glad to hear dialysis is going well for you and you are feeling better. And hopefully you are finding a lot of support and resources to make your life better from the people who staff the dialysis center. And I hope a lot of good cameraderie among the staff and other patients there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness