U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:59 PM

32,653 posts, read 37,940,947 times

Advertisements

As i'm very close to going on dialysis due to kidney failure i was wondering what to expect, any one been on dialysis? what did you think of the treatment and how did it improve your life?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 10:20 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,877,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As i'm very close to going on dialysis due to kidney failure i was wondering what to expect, any one been on dialysis? what did you think of the treatment and how did it improve your life?

Thanks
I am always so tired when I go to dialysis, but do feel better when completed for the day. Before I started dialysis I would feel as if I were drowning and the fact that my skin is tissue thin does not help when the itching starts.

I remember how the people who appointments with my Father would laugh and tease each other. They would get somber when someone had to sit in the "death chair" - a chair that it seemed that the person who last sat in it would die before the next session.

It has been 25 years since my beloved Father died and I, myself am the dialysis patient. I find that my "group" is a lot like my Father's group and it makes me feel somehow like my Father is with me for my treatments.it has been a lifesaver, but I know that one day I'll be in a death chair of my own.

I hope that your own group will be a source of humor and comfort for you. Please feel free to dm me any time you need some to talk to.

Melanie

Old 07-08-2018, 10:40 PM

I have similar symptoms in as much as im full of water and do feel like im drowning, also have many skin problems and i seem to itch all over. how much does dialysis improve the situation?

Old 07-09-2018, 08:04 AM

jambo~

It helps a lot. Although it can be huge PITA spending so much time in dialysis. For me it is 3 times a week and basically, takes the whole day -not literally, but the day revolves around dialysis. DH uses the time to run errands, but he spends so much time just sitting and chatting with everyone.

After dialysis, my body feels so much better. That drowning feeling has lessened and I just feel...better. I re-read what I had written and realized that I basically said that we would all die from our kidney issues. That is just not so, so many not only survive, but use dialysis to motivate them to live their lives more fully.

Are you on the transplant list? I am not eligible due to my multiple medical problems and a kidney would be so much more beneficial to someone who only has failing kidneys. Unfortunately, only my sisterin my family is a match, and I am loathe to leave her with one kidney in case she ends up with kidney disease.

I am so much better after dialysis, even my mind becomes less cloudy. For me, the worst part is my port. I have the one in my forearm; when I first started I had the port in my chest, but that became blocked, so the new one is in my forearm.

I am a clumsy idiot and hit my forearm on a regular basis, I am certain that you will not be as clumsy.

So, in all, dialysis has not only kept me alive, but truly makes me feel better once all the built up toxins have been filtered out. My skin is still so thin and sensitive and the itching drives me crazy, but it is unimaginable to think that I would have died long ago with dialysis. It is such an personal choice, but speaking with your Doctors and family will help you to decide what will be the best for you.

Regards,
Melanie

Old 07-09-2018, 03:01 PM

Did you have any issues with cramping before or during dialysis as i get cramps in hands and legs constantly and am wondering if dialysis will alleviate the problem..

Old 07-09-2018, 06:02 PM

I cramp. A lot. It seems that most of our group does cramp; there are some that are lucky enough to not cramp and hopefully, you will be one of these.

I forgot to mention the fluid retention. I am stuck with a miserly amount of liquids daily (I have always been thirsty) and watching your sodium intake is important.

This all sounds terrible, doesn't it? The side effects suck, but then so do the effects of kidney failure. It is dam*ed if you do and dam*ed if you don't. I know that I'll do just about anything to avoid the drowning sensation to the fullest. I also know that I would be dead without dialysis. TBH, there are days when I would be okay with that, but when my DH of almost 31 years tells me he loves me and when my grandbabies throw sweaty arms around me or climb into bed to snuggle with me on their visits I am just so grateful to be here.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I forgot to mention the fluid retention. I am stuck with a miserly amount of liquids daily (I have always been thirsty) and watching your sodium intake is important.
Diminished fluid retention is going to be a tough one as i'm diabetic i'm thirsty all the time and as a result drink 2 liters of water per day,how do you cope with not being able to satiate your thirst?
Also im thinking sitting in a chair for 4 hours a day is going to get real boring what do you do to stave off the boredom?

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

I tend to sip slowly and suck on ice chips; I also will take ice cold water and just hold it in my mouth, then spit it out (I know it is gross, but I learned this from my Father's time in dialysis).

Once I got to know the "regulars" in my group we spend some time talking and laughing. Everyone also takes a tablet and there are times when we sync a movie and all watch it together.

Other than that I read, find interesting articles, watch tv, videos and movies. I also crochet and when DH is around we just talk, a lot. We reminisce about our 33 years together (31 married); stories about dating, when our kids were growing up and our time as an Army family.

So, I would definitely recommend a tablet, it really does help to pass the time. If you are still working you may be able to get some of it done. As I said before, it seems as if the whole day is spent revolving around dialysis.

I suppose it depends upon what you like to do. My center does provide blankets, but we all seem to like bringing our own (much softer and more comfortable).

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Blankets? arent you confined to a chair during the dialysis treatment?

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

Yes, we are in chairs. It always seems to be cold in the room and we are there for quite a long time. I guess I mean a throw. I am partial to a microfleece that is so soft and warm.

Perhaps, you may wish to go a few times to gauge if you would like this or not. I always end up in my socks, since shoes just seems even more confining when stuck there for hours.

It is just a quirk that may be confined to my center, but brrr, it is cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness