Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:59 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Could be a yeast infection. Go see a doctor or a RN at a clinic ASAP.

A yeast infection would be affecting his penis. Seems like if this was affecting his penis, he would've mentioned that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Maybe you have jock itch, that's bacterial. You may need a cream or spray to help it such as lotromin, it's over the counter. My son gets it usually under arm and it can spread a bit. You got to keep it dry, wear loose fitting clothing.i think the spray is better because it leaves a powdery residue but if the skin is broken maybe the cream is better.

Jock itch

Fungal infection in the skin of the genitals, inner thighs, and buttocks.
Learn more at https://g.co/kgs/UK9rb1

Here's some more good info, keep scrolling and read while thing, good info.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315788.php

One of the most important is to use a new towel each day (don't share towels either) dry uninfected areas first then infected last after showering. Usee body powder to keep skin dry, even apply through out day. My son was using stick deodorant, which can become infected with the fungus so switched to using spray.

I have to agree that you really ought to go see a dermatologist, but, the above is probably what is going on, from my limited knowledge and the limited information you provided, OP. Izzie first writes this is bacterial, which I think is not correct, then says fungal, and I think fungal is what it is.

I had a nasty fungal infection of my ankles and my right (but not left, go figure) wrist. What finally fixed it was Lotrimin (Clotrimazole) cream, and exposing the infected areas to sunlight for an hour or two on weekends around 1:00 pm (actual noon).

The sun exposure could be done with a tanning lamp, but, be careful with that if you go that route.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:50 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
OP....there is a reason the itch started in the first place...and led to an excoriation of the skin. I'll ask you again to *see a dermatologist* as no one here can diagnose your problem...you try anything recommended here, it is at your own risk...you could certainly make your situation worse.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:04 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
OP....there is a reason the itch started in the first place...and led to an excoriation of the skin. I'll ask you again to *see a dermatologist* as no one here can diagnose your problem...you try anything recommended here, it is at your own risk...you could certainly make your situation worse.
This is the best response here.

No one here can tell you what caused the initial itch, but the scratching damaged the skin and there could be a number of possible issues now, including a bacterial infection from germs on your hands and fingernails.

Go to a doctor and get a proper diagnosis. The treatment can be determined once that is known.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:11 PM

369 posts, read 325,547 times
copymutt, are you saying coconut oil caused your rash or it fixed it?

Definite causal relationship.
Coconut oil is one of the primary ingredients in Kirks Castile soap.
I tried to relieve the itch like you w/ topical. Trader Joe's body butters. Wham, it got way worse. The coconut oil was the common ingredient to both products

Old 07-12-2018, 04:13 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
A yeast infection would be affecting his penis. Seems like if this was affecting his penis, he would've mentioned that.
Overweight people can have yeast infections anywhere. That is why the OP needs to see a medical professional. Treatments for bacterial, fungal, and yeast infections all differ.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:18 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
You know, if going to a dermatologist is undesirably difficult, inconvenient, or expensive, maybe one of those "Doc in a Box" type clinics might be good enough.

On the other hand, OTC treatments are OTC because you shouldn't be able to hurt yourself so long as you stay reasonably close to label directions.

Sometimes a pharmacist can recommend something, probably the only quality medical advice you will ever get for free, there.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:38 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Some people have an allergic skin condition called dermatographism that causes them to get hives when they scratch their skin. It can happen during a part of the year or all year. I have it more during the beginning of the year and if I don’t take something like Zyrtec or Claritin daily, the itching is unbearable. If I am around something to which I am allergic, the problem worsens. Did you use a new detergent, soap or something that might irritate your skin?

Old 07-12-2018, 04:58 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
Coconut oil.
I use it for anything from bug bites, rashes like u describe plus lip balm. It has a mild antibacterial effect that is natural. I am female and did nearly the same thing as you did and problem was solved in ONE application. The stuff is a miracle!

Last edited by earslikeacat; 07-12-2018 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: .

Old 07-12-2018, 07:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
While you're at it, make sure you're using hypoallergenic laundry products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness