U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 04:03 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,109,548 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get some info in what it could have been? I used to ask about many things as a young kid my parent told me, my grandparent died of yellow fever after many years of being ill and yellow in a dark room in the early 1930s. Now I always remember this. Since having internet I find many things.
I did read up on yellow fever and I think maybe it was not yellow fever. Could it have been something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 04:58 AM

1,391 posts, read 555,361 times
If you mean that HE was yellow, could it have been jaundice?

Old 07-12-2018, 05:02 AM

11,856 posts, read 9,956,533 times
I found this list of 23 conditions/diseases that can cause jaundice: https://www.healthline.com/health/ja...es-of-jaundice.

When you go back to the 1930's many patients did not like to talk about their real condition. An example would be a woman that said she has 'stomach' cancer instead of ovarian cancer. Many people were simply ashamed because they feared others would not understand or feel they brought on their condition. Plus the doctors did not have our modern diagnostic equipment and knowledge.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:17 AM

584 posts, read 949,839 times
It doesn't sound like Yellow Fever, but there's a lot of things it could have been. For example, a viral form of hepatitis would have had fever in the beginning and could have progressed to long-term jaundice and photophobia.

Whatever he suffered from may not yet have been identified as a disease.

His occupation and lifestyle might shed some light on what he was exposed to that could possibly have made him ill. His official death record may also say something completely different than what has been passed down through the family.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:15 PM

2,723 posts, read 3,740,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
I am trying to get some info in what it could have been? I used to ask about many things as a young kid my parent told me, my grandparent died of yellow fever after many years of being ill and yellow in a dark room in the early 1930s. Now I always remember this. Since having internet I find many things.
I did read up on yellow fever and I think maybe it was not yellow fever. Could it have been something else?

Was this here in the U.S.? What state? You could obtain his death certificate. It should list cause.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:17 PM

16,343 posts, read 5,159,442 times
OP: Hard to say, was this in Europe. I don't even know if death certs are available. Knowing me, I would not fret about this. History....I don't have to know everything...but that is my thinking in life for the most part.

Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM

67,780 posts, read 77,590,260 times
Medical care and diagnostic tools were not as available 80 years ago as now. People also did not go to the doctors like we do. They only went if they were really sick, never just for a check up. Or most did not. I remember hearing my husbands moms brother died of TB of the kidney back in the 20s. What the heck was that? Also many people who died of things like TB really died of cancer. It just wasn't diagnosed.

Old Today, 07:48 AM

83,807 posts, read 96,896,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Medical care and diagnostic tools were not as available 80 years ago as now. People also did not go to the doctors like we do. They only went if they were really sick, never just for a check up. Or most did not. I remember hearing my husbands moms brother died of TB of the kidney back in the 20s. What the heck was that? Also many people who died of things like TB really died of cancer. It just wasn't diagnosed.
This is true. My dad had a brother who died as a child in the 1920s. The family had a story about him eating a bunch of frozen grapes (from the grapevine) that caused his death. My mom, a nurse (who did not know them back then) said from what she heard it sounded like rheumatic fever.

Old Today, 02:48 PM

5,196 posts, read 3,073,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
When you go back to the 1930's many patients did not like to talk about their real condition. An example would be a woman that said she has 'stomach' cancer instead of ovarian cancer.
True. My grandmother died of some kind of cancer, but we don't know which. Old letters from my grandfather call it stomach cancer and liver cancer, randomly. I suspect from the symptoms that it may have been ovarian cancer. I mentioned this to my surgeon, and she pointed out that back in the day, they often did not know a person had cancer until it was advanced. Then, if a doctor opened them up, it looked like there were tumors "everywhere" and it was difficult for them to pinpoint the original site, if indeed they even tried.

Old Today, 03:27 PM

11,856 posts, read 9,956,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
True. My grandmother died of some kind of cancer, but we don't know which. Old letters from my grandfather call it stomach cancer and liver cancer, randomly. I suspect from the symptoms that it may have been ovarian cancer. I mentioned this to my surgeon, and she pointed out that back in the day, they often did not know a person had cancer until it was advanced. Then, if a doctor opened them up, it looked like there were tumors "everywhere" and it was difficult for them to pinpoint the original site, if indeed they even tried.
I had a grandmother and an aunt that died of 'stomach cancer'. I always felt that it was ovarian cancer only because that generation did not like to talk about sexual organs. I can picture the doctors going along with the wishes of the family or not even asking and simply listing something generic. It was like using the term 'consumption' when they really meant tuberculosis - but then they were not always sure.

And, yes, our equipment is so much better today and we learn almost everyday. Just a few years ago we all went for X-rays to determine if we had lung cancer and now that has changed and we do not have as much faith in the X-rays: https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/inf...pg=lung-cancer. That does not mean that X-rays are not taken; but it is not always the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness