U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:53 PM

699 posts, read 726,122 times

Advertisements

If a mosquito bite persists in being red and itchy two weeks after the fact (but it then recedes certainly by a week after that), is that a precursor to (or sign of) a mosquito-borne disease like dengue, malaria, or West Nile?

To put it conversely: The mosquito bites that lead to dengue, malaria, West Nile, etc. - are they normal (i.e. red and itchy for a few days only)? Are they abnormal (i.e. persistent red and itchy for at least 2-3 weeks)? Or both?

I'm asking this because a) I had a mosquito bite almost four weeks ago and it was persistent even two weeks later (though it receded a week after that), and b) I was sick with 102F fever (including sweats and chills), headache, and aches on some parts of my body especially late last week and well into the weekend (and I went to the doctor earlier this week and it was some unidentified viral infection). (Now I'm almost fully recovered.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 02:02 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,096,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
If a mosquito bite persists in being red and itchy two weeks after the fact (but it then recedes certainly by a week after that), is that a precursor to (or sign of) a mosquito-borne disease like dengue, malaria, or West Nile?

To put it conversely: The mosquito bites that lead to dengue, malaria, West Nile, etc. - are they normal (i.e. red and itchy for a few days only)? Are they abnormal (i.e. persistent red and itchy for at least 2-3 weeks)? Or both?

I'm asking this because a) I had a mosquito bite almost four weeks ago and it was persistent even two weeks later (though it receded a week after that), and b) I was sick with 102F fever (including sweats and chills), headache, and aches on some parts of my body especially late last week and well into the weekend (and I went to the doctor earlier this week and it was some unidentified viral infection). (Now I'm almost fully recovered.)
No. The itchiness is a histamine reaction to the anticoagulant the mosquito injects. It's possible you are more sensitive and had a bigger reaction to it or you happened to get a bigger than normal dose of the anticoagulant in that bite. It's possible it wasn't a mosquito bite at all. Could have been a biting fly (red devil, black fly, white socks, no-see-ems are a few I know of farther north like CA and AK where I live). I've had bites from those that lasted that long. I've noticed that different bites vary as far as the reaction. Different areas of the skin can have more or less of a histamine reaction. Every time you scratch the bite it sort of re-triggers the reaction too. These days I apply heat to a bite as soon as I can. It helps disrupt the histamine production reaction.

The diseases you list are viral. Symptoms of them are more severe than those you described. What you had could just as easily be picked up from the general population. Were you in Montreal when bitten or were you traveling abroad? Shouldn't be any of these diseases that far north yet.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:03 PM

2,878 posts, read 1,581,515 times
Actually, Dengue is in the US, (not trying to out-do you Ms. Heron, but I live in the tropics!) as well as Malaria and West Nile.

https://www.ahcmedia.com/articles/14...-united-states

History of Malaria in the USA • DC Mosquito Squad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_N..._United_States

And don't forget Zika virus. South Florida got it in the last couple of years.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/reporting/case-counts.html

OP, personally I would have some blood tests run by my Dr. if mosquito bite is still persisting after a few days. The 102 degree fever didn't sound good either...Just to be on the safe side, I'd have it looked into.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:14 PM

11,515 posts, read 2,283,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Actually, Dengue is in the US, (not trying to out-do you Ms. Heron, but I live in the tropics!) as well as Malaria and West Nile.

https://www.ahcmedia.com/articles/14...-united-states

History of Malaria in the USA • DC Mosquito Squad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_N..._United_States

And don't forget Zika virus. South Florida got it in the last couple of years.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/reporting/case-counts.html

OP, personally I would have some blood tests run by my Dr. if mosquito bite is still persisting after a few days. The 102 degree fever didn't sound good either...Just to be on the safe side, I'd have it looked into.

Terradown to the rescue!!! Not too late to delete......Thanks...

Old 07-12-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The diseases you list are viral. Symptoms of them are more severe than those you described. What you had could just as easily be picked up from the general population. Were you in Montreal when bitten or were you traveling abroad? Shouldn't be any of these diseases that far north yet.
I was in Montreal the whole time. And yes, it is true that generally symptoms are more severe, but for West Nile without neurological/encephalitic complications, symptoms are generally mild and last a few days (kind of similar to what I had a week ago).

And it sounds like, in general, that there's no real correlation between the nature of the mosquito bite and coming down with a mosquito-borne disease?

Old 07-12-2018, 03:01 PM

301 posts, read 71,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I was in Montreal the whole time. And yes, it is true that generally symptoms are more severe, but for West Nile without neurological/encephalitic complications, symptoms are generally mild and last a few days (kind of similar to what I had a week ago).

And it sounds like, in general, that there's no real correlation between the nature of the mosquito bite and coming down with a mosquito-borne disease?
Mosquitos carrying west nile have definately been found in Ma. And NH. Dont know about maine.
Info about west nile:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...irus_85,P08120

Old 07-12-2018, 03:55 PM

301 posts, read 71,369 times
According to this west nile cases have existed in Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ile-virus.html

Maybe you should go see your dr again

Old 07-12-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
According to this west nile cases have existed in Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ile-virus.html

Maybe you should go see your dr again
Alternatively, it might be some other viral flu-like illness, as during my recovery period I developed a few coughs here and there (not really strong ones, though).

Old 07-12-2018, 05:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 580,798 times
Check your local health department updates for your county. They'll list how many cases of which disease is impacting the area. If your area is known for certain disease related illnesses, they'll list them. Here is a map of Harris County (Houston) from their county health department page. Areas in yellow are impacted by mosquitos.

Mosquito Control Services | Harris County Public Health | Texas Mosquito-borne Disease Activity for Current Year

Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 PM

19,426 posts, read 52,323,991 times
Did you see the mosquito? Could be a chigger. Itches like hell for 7-10 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or