U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:29 PM

2,316 posts, read 781,950 times

Advertisements

In my new job, I work on an assembly line, and have to read the dates of products as they move by on the line. However, I have trouble doing this. The product goes by quickly on the line and the dates are small and the motion blur of the movement, is causing me to fail to read the dates fast enough.

I was told by a couple of friends that I might need glasses. I can read small print well when the material I am reading is still and not moving, but when it moves down a line, it's a blur, and the motion blur is causing it.

Would glasses help for motion blur particularly? I know they help people see clearly in general, but what if I already read clear, and it's only when the object is moving? Perhaps my motion blur has increased, but would glasses decrease it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 01:18 AM

5,188 posts, read 2,737,603 times
Glasses probably wouldn't help if you don't need your vision corrected. If you are to the point where you need reading glasses, definitely stay away from progressive lenses. They will cause motion blur.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:09 PM

2,723 posts, read 3,742,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Glasses probably wouldn't help if you don't need your vision corrected. If you are to the point where you need reading glasses, definitely stay away from progressive lenses. They will cause motion blur.

I've been wearing progressive lenses for many years, and have never had that problem.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
In my new job, I work on an assembly line, and have to read the dates of products as they move by on the line. However, I have trouble doing this. The product goes by quickly on the line and the dates are small and the motion blur of the movement, is causing me to fail to read the dates fast enough.

I was told by a couple of friends that I might need glasses. I can read small print well when the material I am reading is still and not moving, but when it moves down a line, it's a blur, and the motion blur is causing it.

Would glasses help for motion blur particularly? I know they help people see clearly in general, but what if I already read clear, and it's only when the object is moving? Perhaps my motion blur has increased, but would glasses decrease it?

Are there other employees doing the same job as you? Do they have the same problem reading the small print as the assembly line moves?

Old 07-13-2018, 04:10 PM

They don't seem to, unless they do and are just pretending that they can read it, in order to not fall behind.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
They don't seem to, unless they do and are just pretending that they can read it, in order to not fall behind.

Can you find out if they have trouble reading it also (without getting yourself in trouble)?

Old 07-14-2018, 10:27 AM

21,001 posts, read 22,025,304 times
When was your last eye exam?

Old 07-14-2018, 01:07 PM

Last eye exam, probably like 10 years ago. I was being told by the supervisor that I am not reading it well enough, but she didn't say that to anyone else that I saw when working there.

However, I was told that glasses help with focus, and not motion blur, so would glasses help at all, if that's true?

Old 07-14-2018, 04:21 PM

19,431 posts, read 52,345,148 times
Go get an eye exam! Your job may depend on it. Quit worrying about others. Ten years is waay too long

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:16 PM

Sure, I will get an exam. Since I am into filmmaking, I think the eye working like a camera, in which case that if the camera's shutter speed is increased, the motion blur will decrease. But is it possible to increase the shutter speed of the human eye, when it comes to glasses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or