U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-12-2018, 10:29 PM
 
2,692 posts, read 894,330 times
Reputation: 869

Advertisements

In my new job, I work on an assembly line, and have to read the dates of products as they move by on the line. However, I have trouble doing this. The product goes by quickly on the line and the dates are small and the motion blur of the movement, is causing me to fail to read the dates fast enough.

I was told by a couple of friends that I might need glasses. I can read small print well when the material I am reading is still and not moving, but when it moves down a line, it's a blur, and the motion blur is causing it.

Would glasses help for motion blur particularly? I know they help people see clearly in general, but what if I already read clear, and it's only when the object is moving? Perhaps my motion blur has increased, but would glasses decrease it?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2018, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
5,678 posts, read 2,990,485 times
Reputation: 11341
Glasses probably wouldn't help if you don't need your vision corrected. If you are to the point where you need reading glasses, definitely stay away from progressive lenses. They will cause motion blur.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 12:09 PM
 
2,734 posts, read 3,838,150 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Glasses probably wouldn't help if you don't need your vision corrected. If you are to the point where you need reading glasses, definitely stay away from progressive lenses. They will cause motion blur.



I've been wearing progressive lenses for many years, and have never had that problem.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 12:13 PM
 
2,734 posts, read 3,838,150 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
In my new job, I work on an assembly line, and have to read the dates of products as they move by on the line. However, I have trouble doing this. The product goes by quickly on the line and the dates are small and the motion blur of the movement, is causing me to fail to read the dates fast enough.

I was told by a couple of friends that I might need glasses. I can read small print well when the material I am reading is still and not moving, but when it moves down a line, it's a blur, and the motion blur is causing it.

Would glasses help for motion blur particularly? I know they help people see clearly in general, but what if I already read clear, and it's only when the object is moving? Perhaps my motion blur has increased, but would glasses decrease it?



Are there other employees doing the same job as you? Do they have the same problem reading the small print as the assembly line moves?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 04:10 PM
 
2,692 posts, read 894,330 times
Reputation: 869
They don't seem to, unless they do and are just pretending that they can read it, in order to not fall behind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 07:49 PM
 
2,734 posts, read 3,838,150 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
They don't seem to, unless they do and are just pretending that they can read it, in order to not fall behind.

Can you find out if they have trouble reading it also (without getting yourself in trouble)?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2018, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,250 posts, read 22,419,781 times
Reputation: 44554
When was your last eye exam?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2018, 01:07 PM
 
2,692 posts, read 894,330 times
Reputation: 869
Last eye exam, probably like 10 years ago. I was being told by the supervisor that I am not reading it well enough, but she didn't say that to anyone else that I saw when working there.

However, I was told that glasses help with focus, and not motion blur, so would glasses help at all, if that's true?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2018, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,564 posts, read 52,972,911 times
Reputation: 18386
Go get an eye exam! Your job may depend on it. Quit worrying about others. Ten years is waay too long
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2018, 06:16 PM
 
2,692 posts, read 894,330 times
Reputation: 869
Sure, I will get an exam. Since I am into filmmaking, I think the eye working like a camera, in which case that if the camera's shutter speed is increased, the motion blur will decrease. But is it possible to increase the shutter speed of the human eye, when it comes to glasses?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top