U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 06:23 PM

8,182 posts, read 14,293,225 times

Advertisements

I have always researched any drug prescribed for me before taking the first dose. In several situations, I called the doctor back to inform him/her that I would not take that Rx due to XYZ - in one case, it was a strong warning about that drug interfering with my heart medication. Dr was clueless. Needless to say, that doctor no longer treats me for anything.

Do your own research. It is so easy now with access to the internet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 06:54 PM

13,483 posts, read 7,193,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I have always researched any drug prescribed for me before taking the first dose. In several situations, I called the doctor back to inform him/her that I would not take that Rx due to XYZ - in one case, it was a strong warning about that drug interfering with my heart medication. Dr was clueless. Needless to say, that doctor no longer treats me for anything.

Do your own research. It is so easy now with access to the internet.
Just be sure you never let the office call it in for you and pick it up before doing the research - once it is in your possession you can't take it back.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 PM

15,302 posts, read 15,280,633 times
Last time I took ABs was when I had a bad case of campylobacter....that was about 15 years ago.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 PM

41,164 posts, read 32,846,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Last time I took ABs was when I had a bad case of campylobacter....that was about 15 years ago.
These drugs have been around since the 1980s but I'd say that if you haven't had a reaction by now you're home safe.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just be sure you never let the office call it in for you and pick it up before doing the research - once it is in your possession you can't take it back.
A couple of years ago the doctor recommended some sort of prescription drug for my husband. I googled it while we were sitting there in her office and immediately noticed that it clearly stated not to take it with some other drug, which he was taking. I said, "Wait - is this a good idea considering he's taking such and such?" The doctor looked at me in an irritated manner, looked back at her computer, read some stuff and then said, "Tell you what - I'm going to change this to (some other drug which DIDN'T have any negative interaction with what he was currently taking)." She didn't like that I questioned her but what if I hadn't?

Now if you have a smart phone you can immediately look up whatever the doc wants you to take and decide then and there if it's something you want to put in your body.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 PM

3,311 posts, read 2,357,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Now if you have a smart phone you can immediately look up whatever the doc wants you to take and decide then and there if it's something you want to put in your body.
Back when things were starting to get online, I had a new doctor trying to help me with my chronic hives. He asked if I planned on having any more children while he was writing the prescription.

I took it home, looked it up on the computer and common side effects were growing facial hair, deepening voice, just becoming more masculine. I never got the prescription filled, I'd rather have the daily hives.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Back when things were starting to get online, I had a new doctor trying to help me with my chronic hives. He asked if I planned on having any more children while he was writing the prescription.

I took it home, looked it up on the computer and common side effects were growing facial hair, deepening voice, just becoming more masculine. I never got the prescription filled, I'd rather have the daily hives.
Dang, you aren't kidding.

I avoid taking any meds as much as possible, even over the counter meds. For instance, right now I could be getting something, taking something for the pain in my wrist, but believe me, I'd rather deal with the pain than deal with potential side effects of medication. When it gets too severe, or the swelling is too bad, I take ibuprofen - but I don't even like taking that.

Meds have their place, believe me. I am a big believer in the miracles of modern medicine. But that doesn't mean I will ever just take a medication because a doctor prescribes it.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:27 PM

13,483 posts, read 7,193,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Sure...it sounds pretty bad. But here are the FDA's definitions:
  • Very common affects more than 1 in 10 people – ie the risk is 10% or higher
  • Common affects between 1 in 100 and 1 in 10 people – ie risk is 1% to 10%
  • Uncommon affects between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 100 people – ie risk is 0.1% to 1%
  • Rare affects between 1 in 10,000 and 1 in 1,000 people – ie risk is 0.01% to 0.1%
  • Very rare affects less than 1 in 10,000 people – ie risk is less than 0.01% (This includes isolated reports, or where the absolute risk is not known or can’t be quantified. For example, if identified through post-marketing safety surveillance and the frequency cannot be estimated from the available data).

So I would like to have the opportunity to evaluate that myself. If my hives were horrible, I would likely at least try the medication keeping very aware during that time. Side effects are NOT inevitable and even if they occur they may not be severe and may be reversible by discontinuing use.

Everything is a calculated risk...I mean if you were going to die in 6 months, would you take a drug that would extend your life for 5 years if there were a 5% chance you'd have to bleach a light mustache?

Old 07-19-2018, 09:53 PM

504 posts, read 229,149 times
I have taken these a couple of times no issues. They don't affect everyone badly.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 PM

351 posts, read 220,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I have taken these a couple of times no issues. They don't affect everyone badly.
Keep taking them and they will. Every time you take them you get more sensitized to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness