U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 PM

41,074 posts, read 32,757,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I have taken these a couple of times no issues. They don't affect everyone badly.
Ok. And I took Cipro for one week five years ago and have had to have both Achilles tendons rebuilt and am now facing surgery on my left wrist - more tendon damage. So they don't affect everyone badly but they do affect some people very badly. And I'm one of the lucky ones because my heart valves are not affected and I also don't have permanent neuropathy like some people do.

I'm simply passing on the warnings from the FDA, which continue to mount up as the years go by regarding the possible debilitating or even deadly effects of these drugs.

Don't kill a mouse with a flame thrower. Don't take these antibiotics if other options are available. That's advice from the FDA, not me.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-19-2018 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 07:31 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,414,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Dang, you aren't kidding.

I avoid taking any meds as much as possible, even over the counter meds. For instance, right now I could be getting something, taking something for the pain in my wrist, but believe me, I'd rather deal with the pain than deal with potential side effects of medication. When it gets too severe, or the swelling is too bad, I take ibuprofen - but I don't even like taking that.

Meds have their place, believe me. I am a big believer in the miracles of modern medicine. But that doesn't mean I will ever just take a medication because a doctor prescribes it.
According to several research studies, you would be better off taking a different type of pain medicine other that steroids or NSAIDS (like ibuprofen) for your tendon pain. Here's a link to an article that explains what I'm talking about. Please reconsider taking ibuprofen for your tendon pain!

https://fqresearch.org/cipro-and-tendonitis

A quote from the article I linked:

"Treating with steroidal or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are exactly the WRONG remedy for tendonitis, since these drugs should be avoided like the plague when tendonitis was caused by Fluoroquinolones 7. It might be considered medical malpractice if a doctor treats Fluoroquinolone tendonitis with either a steroidal or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug!"

Old 07-20-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
According to several research studies, you would be better off taking a different type of pain medicine other that steroids or NSAIDS (like ibuprofen) for your tendon pain. Here's a link to an article that explains what I'm talking about. Please reconsider taking ibuprofen for your tendon pain!

https://fqresearch.org/cipro-and-tendonitis

A quote from the article I linked:

"Treating with steroidal or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are exactly the WRONG remedy for tendonitis, since these drugs should be avoided like the plague when tendonitis was caused by Fluoroquinolones 7. It might be considered medical malpractice if a doctor treats Fluoroquinolone tendonitis with either a steroidal or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug!"
Read the article and it's basically very good and informative.

I just want to clarify though that the article seems to be saying to never take fluoroquinolones and NSAIDS at the same time (or fluoroquinolones and steroids at the same time). I'm not doing that. The only fluoroquinolone I have ever taken was one week of Cipro five or six years ago.

From the article:

Quote:
You see, the Fluoroquinolone Drug Interactions, such as taking steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Prednisone and Levaquin together, or even just taking Ibuprofen and a Fluoroquinolone together makes it MORE likely that youíll rupture a tendon, and so is certainly not the remedy for tendonitis.
The article also provides links to drug interactions which isn't an issue for me because I rarely even take an NSAIDS and certainly am not taking more than one drug, even over the counter remedies.

Good information overall though - thanks.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:00 AM

31,588 posts, read 12,717,615 times
Keep on Kathryn, now including you I know 3 people who have serious life long effects from Cipro. My best friend had her achilles tendon, separate, a few years after Cipro. Had surgery, still suffers from debilitating side effects. The other person was a poster on CD who only took it 3 days before her problems started, bone, tendons, etc, still feels side effects today.
My Dad, 89 had pneumonia last month, I double checked his antibiotic, plus was on prednisone for 5 days! You have to be soooo careful these days.

Sorry Kathryn, I know how strong and active you are, this is quite the challenge for you with all that's going on in your life, hope you get through it with no further problems.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Keep on Kathryn, now including you I know 3 people who have serious life long effects from Cipro. My best friend had her achilles tendon, separate, a few years after Cipro. Had surgery, still suffers from debilitating side effects. The other person was a poster on CD who only took it 3 days before her problems started, bone, tendons, etc, still feels side effects today.
My Dad, 89 had pneumonia last month, I double checked his antibiotic, plus was on prednisone for 5 days! You have to be soooo careful these days.

Sorry Kathryn, I know how strong and active you are, this is quite the challenge for you with all that's going on in your life, hope you get through it with no further problems.
Thank you! Like you, the more I look around, the more people I know who are adversely affected by these drugs. I would bet that they are pulled from the market soon. Johnson and Johnson has already quit manufacturing Levaquin. That was a huge development.

Yes, I'm very active and I think that's one reason why I am not about to let this wrist drama get me down! I have really worked on restoring my health and wellbeing after the last four years of ongoing grief and frustration over the care of four elderly, sick, dying parents. I've begun working out again, lost 35 pounds, and really focused on what I eat, amount of water I drink, natural supplements, etc. and it really shows up on my lab and blood work. I am 56 and my most recent labs were literally PERFECT. The great thing about this whole joint and tendon issue is that my bones show zero bone loss or arthritis, and my blood flow to these areas is excellent - THANK GOD. So I'm ahead of the ballgame so to speak, going into this issue. Therefore I tend to handle surgery and recovery very well. So if I need surgery, which I am pretty sure I do, I should be able to handle it well.

It's just the frustration and pain of it that could get me down if I let it, so I don't let it. Once again, not anything to do with my own character, but rather, my own blessings if that makes sense. I am just not wired together to be fragile, or sickly, or depressed. I can't take credit for that. I'm just naturally a strong person, mentally, emotionally and physically. Now my job is to keep myself strong.

I really think that's everyone's job - to maximize what we have. That's why setbacks that are outside our lifestyle choices can be so frustrating.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:13 AM

186 posts, read 63,348 times
I'm taking generic Macrobid right now for a UTI. I tried Cipro awhile back and had to stop. It was horrible, my body could not handle it. I hope this Macrobid is okay.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:50 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,204,284 times
Fluoridated water. I lived for 30 years in an area which did not fluoridate their water. When I moved to an area which did, I broke out hives from head to toe, including on my eyelids. Not in excruciating pain, or itching. Urgent Care Center gave me Steroids, purely to mask the symptoms for "clear skin". Fortunately, vomited those. Went to Dermatologist who did biopsy, which ruled out everything. "Change your soaps". Did no good.

Two years later I had food poisoning. Same Urgent Care Center. Given injections of Cipro there and meds to take for 10 days. Got ringing in my ears and double vision. Immediately stopped taking the pills at home after only TWO pills. Never called them back, or asked for something else.

Took me years to make the connection with both conditions. If someone is breaking out in hives from fluoridated water, what will happen to them being injected with, and taking pills, like Cipro? Clear skin? lol Sorry, but I would rather walk around looking like a leper than take Steroids and compromise my immune system. Eliminate the CAUSE, and eliminate the need for drugs. I watch those Ads on TV. Take bla, bla, bla, and you can have clear skin. So what? If other people think you have a contagious disease, that is THEIR problem.

Sorry, for my rant.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:30 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,720,805 times
Last Fall I was having the worst abdominal pain that radiated to my back. We're talking debilitating pain along with other issues. My doctor was convinced I had diverticulitis and rather than doing any testing first, she decided to put me on Cipro and one other heavy duty AB. She said that I should start to feel better within 24-48 hours.

Well... less than 48 hours later I was worse and felt like I was on my death bed. They took me directly over to the ER and they did a CT scan and it did not show any signs of diverticulitis. However they told me to continue to take the AB's. I took them for one more day and was even worse so I stopped immediately.

Within a few days the "deathly" feel started to wane although my abdominal pain was still there. So I searched for a new doctor. At that point I was convinced I had a parasite since we ate out almost every meal back then. Although this new doctor was pretty sure it wasn't a parasite she ordered the test to appease me. But she also ordered another test unbeknownst to me. Long story short.....I actually have Celiac Disease. Once officially diagnosed I cut all gluten out (that is currently the only treatment for it) and my issues went away! And to think this other doctor wanted me to take all these antibiotics (they gave me 40 Cipro's).

Now reading your issues from the Cipro, it is starting to make me wonder about heel pain that I have been experiencing. It seems a little lower than the achilles tendon but it is getting increasingly more painful when walking. Could Cipro really do that even if only taken for a few days. I was on 250 2xday.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Last Fall I was having the worst abdominal pain that radiated to my back. We're talking debilitating pain along with other issues. My doctor was convinced I had diverticulitis and rather than doing any testing first, she decided to put me on Cipro and one other heavy duty AB. She said that I should start to feel better within 24-48 hours.

Well... less than 48 hours later I was worse and felt like I was on my death bed. They took me directly over to the ER and they did a CT scan and it did not show any signs of diverticulitis. However they told me to continue to take the AB's. I took them for one more day and was even worse so I stopped immediately.

Within a few days the "deathly" feel started to wane although my abdominal pain was still there. So I searched for a new doctor. At that point I was convinced I had a parasite since we ate out almost every meal back then. Although this new doctor was pretty sure it wasn't a parasite she ordered the test to appease me. But she also ordered another test unbeknownst to me. Long story short.....I actually have Celiac Disease. Once officially diagnosed I cut all gluten out (that is currently the only treatment for it) and my issues went away! And to think this other doctor wanted me to take all these antibiotics (they gave me 40 Cipro's).

Now reading your issues from the Cipro, it is starting to make me wonder about heel pain that I have been experiencing. It seems a little lower than the achilles tendon but it is getting increasingly more painful when walking. Could Cipro really do that even if only taken for a few days. I was on 250 2xday.
All I know is that it took months for one to surface and about two years for the other one, and now my tendon issue with my wrist is five years out. Read the info on Cipro out there - the FDA has begun to realize that much of the damage is permanent and ongoing.

Good luck.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:11 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,890,782 times
I know plenty of doctors who prescribe antibiotics automatically for headcolds. Just to make sure nothing worse happens, like pneumonia. It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness