U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:13 PM

41,056 posts, read 32,757,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Every single thing that you put into your mouth has side effects.

This happens to be a serious (Black Warning) side effect, but tendon damage was higher percentage.

Any human can react to any medication (including the premature infants who became blind because of high concentration of OXYGEN 50 years ago) in any way.

It becomes a risk vs reward issue.

The discontinuing of Levaquin (one of the antibiotics of last resort left to treat antibiotic resistant organisms) may be a good, or a VERY Bad decision that will cost lives in the future.

This is my only post in this thread. I will not be drawn into a dark hole arguing with you (jamin) ever again
Levaquin is just one of many fluorquinolone antibiotics, so I'm pretty sure the world will be a safe place without it. I think that Johnson and Johnson quit manufacturing it due to so many lawsuits.

Of course all meds have potential side effects. But this is a category that warrants the highest level of warning that the FDA puts out, short of pulling something from the market. So in that sense it's a whole different level of potentially disabling and even deadly side effects. It's not in the same category as most other drugs when it comes to potential side effects.

Fifteen percent of prescription drugs get a black box warning, meaning that 85 percent don't. Four percent (typically from that 15 percent) eventually get withdrawn from the market.
https://drugfree.org/learn/drug-and-...ug-law-passed/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 06:21 PM

2,583 posts, read 3,147,679 times
This is devastating news for us.

Oops maybe not. We can still get the generic.

Levaquin is an amazing medicine.

My father is a severely disabled paraplegic that is burdened with recurrent infections due to an immunodeficiency and the complications of his spinal cord injury. He is allergic to multiple antibiotics, but not to the fluoroquinolone family. These are excellent medicines for him. He needs stronger antibiotics because he has much more serious infections than the typical patient. Without these antibiotics, he will have to be admitted to the hospital for all of these infections for intravenous even stronger antibiotics because no other oral medication would be sufficient.

What makes levaquin particularly amazing is it is quickly absorbed from the GI tract and reaches therapeutic levels rapidly. So rapidly that it works just as fast as IV antibiotics. This may mean nothing to you, but it is critical. In fact, twice my father's doctors have told me that I probably saved his life by treating him quicker than he would have ever received antibiotics in the emergency room. It is very difficult to even get my father to the hospital once he is sick because of his paralysis/living situation, and he can deteriorate over minutes. It is truly scary.

You can't generalize about these medication side effects and their disproportionate risk. For every person that you worry is over prescribed these meds, there are many more who desperately need them.

And the different family members are not the same and simply interchangeable.

Last edited by sfcambridge; 07-21-2018 at 06:35 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 06:42 PM

21,019 posts, read 10,647,121 times
I was on Cipro and the second day noticed neck was stiff. Switched antibiotics.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
This is devastating news for us.

Oops maybe not. We can still get the generic.

Levaquin is an amazing medicine.

My father is a severely disabled paraplegic that is burdened with recurrent infections due to an immunodeficiency and the complications of his spinal cord injury. He is allergic to multiple antibiotics, but not to the fluoroquinolone family. These are excellent medicines for him. He needs stronger antibiotics because he has much more serious infections than the typical patient. Without these antibiotics, he will have to be admitted to the hospital for all of these infections for intravenous even stronger antibiotics because no other oral medication would be sufficient.

What makes levaquin particularly amazing is it is quickly absorbed from the GI tract and reaches therapeutic levels rapidly. So rapidly that it works just as fast as IV antibiotics. This may mean nothing to you, but it is critical. In fact, twice my father's doctors have told me that I probably saved his life by treating him quicker than he would have ever received antibiotics in the emergency room. It is very difficult to even get my father to the hospital once he is sick because of his paralysis/living situation, and he can deteriorate over minutes. It is truly scary.

You can't generalize about these medication side effects and their disproportionate risk. For every person that you worry is over prescribed these meds, there are many more who desperately need them.

And the different family members are not the same and simply interchangeable.
Glad it works for your dad. Not so much for so many other people.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:27 PM

964 posts, read 252,343 times
Good, everyone can just go without anti-biotics, and just let your body heal itself. WRONG!! 💊

Old 07-21-2018, 11:30 PM

964 posts, read 252,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I was on Cipro and the second day noticed neck was stiff. Switched antibiotics.
Cipro works best for sepsis. I don't know what kind of conditions you people have, but Cipro saves lives.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Good, everyone can just go without anti-biotics, and just let your body heal itself. WRONG!! ��

Did anyone say to go without antibiotics?

You know, there is actually a middle road available. Lots and lots of options when it comes to antibiotics as well. I have even stated that if there was no other choice for me, rather than die, I'd take fluoroquinolones, even though I know I'd probably have other debilitating effects down the road. It beats dying.

But it is the FDA - not me - which released statements clarifying to doctors to PLEASE BE SURE THIS IS THE ONLY OPTION before prescribing these drugs. That's a strong warning. People should take heed of this and ask their doctor if other options are available, rather than just complacently taking these drugs for minor infections, ear infections, bladder infections, etc when a different antibiotic would probably work just as well.

Fluoroquinolones were developed to treat life threatening, deadly serious issues, such as sepsis and anthrax, that sort of thing. They have their place - it's just not every place and every time.

I've used the example before and I'll use it again - don't kill a mouse with a flame thrower. Don't enforce a curfew with carpet bombing. Both tactics will work, but there are other options available that aren't as potentially problematic.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:09 AM

21,019 posts, read 10,647,121 times
Quote:
Cipro works best for sepsis. I don't know what kind of conditions you people have, but Cipro saves lives.
Yes. It certainly does.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes. It certainly does.
So does open heart surgery, and so does chemo, but I wouldn't recommend those unless they are your best or only option. This is what the FDA says - use these drugs when there is no other good option.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:20 PM

575 posts, read 142,180 times
Quote:
That may be true but the problem is all the other conditions that are less threatening than sepsis for which too many people are put at risk because drs prescribe this serious antibiotic when other safer antibiotics would work. That is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness