U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 08:19 AM

7,650 posts, read 5,640,644 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/healt...ner/index.html

I've stopped taking Valsartan and switched to Edarbi samples that the medical group I go to had on hand. So far I don't like Edarbi - don't like the way I feel on it, nor do I like that it isn't any more effective in reducing my blood pressure than Valsartan, despite costing much more once the free samples are gone.

Anyone else affected by the recall? If so, what are you using as an alternative? No pharmacy that I have checked in my area has any "safe" Valsartan 160, nor do they have any estimate on when they will.

I'm thinking about trying Telmisartan or Olmesartan.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 08:46 AM

9,152 posts, read 6,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/healt...ner/index.html

I've stopped taking Valsartan and switched to Edarbi samples that the medical group I go to had on hand. So far I don't like Edarbi - don't like the way I feel on it, nor do I like that it isn't any more effective in reducing my blood pressure than Valsartan, despite costing much more once the free samples are gone.

Anyone else affected by the recall? If so, what are you using as an alternative? No pharmacy that I have checked in my area has any "safe" Valsartan 160, nor do they have any estimate on when they will.

I'm thinking about trying Telmisartan or Olmesartan.
From reading the article, it looks to affect manufacturers that make some of the generic forms of valsartan. Hopefully the issue will be corrected soon, and you, as well as others in the same situation will be able to get their valsartan.

From what I've seen ( and experienced) with other drugs I have taken that have been recalled or not available, the precribers will see about getting their patients on generics from other manufacturers not affected by the issue, or possibly on brand names for the drug, that might be available, or if that isn't possible then different types of the same class of drug.

IIRC I used to take Diovan-Hzt, then was switched to the generic form of this drug- this was around 12-13 yrs ago. I recall there was some issue of unavailability for these drugs, for some reason I was switched to losartan-hzt, and have taken that for a number of years. Several yrs ago when I acquired a cardiologist after having a flare up of some lifelong arrythmia issues, he switched me to losartan without the diuretic. It's worked well with no side effects I can see, to control my blood pressure.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:24 AM

8,175 posts, read 14,256,731 times
I am taking valsartanHCTz 160. I had just had my 3 month Rx filled and went to my pharmacy to exchange it. They refused saying the recall is only at the pharmacy/distributor level and not at the patient level. F* that noise. So I went to a new pharmacy, got my MD to issue a new Rx and tried to fill it. Ins would not refill it as being too soon. So, I shelled out the cash and used GoodRx.

If it needs to be pulled from the shelves of the pharmacies, I should be able to get a replacement for unused meds and my ins co should be honoring it. I will be taking this up with my state's attorney general - it's both an insurance issue and a tort issue. I have also sent a letter to my insurance company letting them know that I will not be renewing with them come October. And, I've sent a letter to the home office of my pharmacy telling them the same thing. I live in a tiny town with only 2 pharmacies and both had the same manufacturer.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 AM

7,650 posts, read 5,640,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I am taking valsartanHCTz 160. I had just had my 3 month Rx filled and went to my pharmacy to exchange it. They refused saying the recall is only at the pharmacy/distributor level and not at the patient level. F* that noise. So I went to a new pharmacy, got my MD to issue a new Rx and tried to fill it. Ins would not refill it as being too soon. So, I shelled out the cash and used GoodRx.

If it needs to be pulled from the shelves of the pharmacies, I should be able to get a replacement for unused meds and my ins co should be honoring it. I will be taking this up with my state's attorney general - it's both an insurance issue and a tort issue. I have also sent a letter to my insurance company letting them know that I will not be renewing with them come October. And, I've sent a letter to the home office of my pharmacy telling them the same thing. I live in a tiny town with only 2 pharmacies and both had the same manufacturer.
I agree that the response to this in the supply chain has been woefully inadequate. But the responsibility, of course, lies with the manufacturer/supplier, Solco in my case. I have both called them and emailed them stating in no uncertain terms that they should arrange for the bad product to be returnable at the retail pharmacy. No response from them to either. If that is still the case early next week, I will resume the discussion with Safeway, strongly suggesting that they need to apply pressure upward in order to take care of their customers. I'm not going to just eat this nearly full 90-day bottle.

I think we'll get a fair solution to that aspect of it, but that leaves the question of what health risk have we been exposed to over the last two years? Determining that will be much tougher and I doubt it will ever be as clear as we'd like.

Did you get the same item from a different manufacturer? Or did you go with a different drug?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or