U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:32 PM

27,505 posts, read 17,652,800 times

Advertisements

For me it was around 44, right after I quit smoking and started exercising more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 07:55 PM

1,363 posts, read 655,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
At what age was everyone diagnosed with high blood pressure?

Just wondering what our risks might be, my husband and I are 60 and have always had normal blood pressure readings. My mom has hbp but she smoked for decades, my brother does too but he is obese and has a terrible diet.

I was in my 30s, so was my sister. No smoking or obesity.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:00 AM

10,078 posts, read 9,318,063 times
Quote:
At what age was everyone diagnosed with high blood pressure?

Just wondering what our risks might be, my husband and I are 60 and have always had normal blood pressure readings. My mom has hbp but she smoked for decades, my brother does too but he is obese and has a terrible diet.
I was diagnosed at 40. Genetics played a big role - my father and grandparents on both sides had/have HBP. My mother is borderline hypertensive, but really she's stage 1 (140s/90s). My husband has normal pressure and he's overweight.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:31 AM

3,356 posts, read 928,435 times
If you have high BP in spite of a healthy lifestyle, that does NOT prove it's mostly genetic. In the great majority of cases, lifestyle is the main cause.

Type 2 diabetes (insulin resistance) is primarily a lifestyle disease, and it is also a major cause of heart disease. Vulnerability to insulin resistance probably has a genetic component (as does everything), but individuals with healthy lifestyles are unlikely to get it, whatever their genetic tendencies.

And smoking is also a very common cause of heart disease and high BP.

Therefore, we know for a fact that MOST cardiovascular disease is lifestyle-related, and only partly genetic.

There are so many posts here, whenever this subject comes up, by people who are exceptions. The claim always seems to be that lifestyle doesn't matter that much, and people often need drugs to stay healthy and survive.

But we should be focused on probabilities, not unusual exceptions.

You can smoke all your life and never get heart disease or cancer. But you will be MUCH MORE LIKELY to get them than someone who does not smoke.

Similarly, for other lifestyle factors. The overweight person who drinks coke all day and never exercises is MUCH MORE LIKELY to eventually have these health problems. The thin person who eats natural food and exercises is MUCH LESS LIKELY to have insulin resistance, heart disease, hypertension, etc.

This is all shown beyond doubt by lots of scientific research. Denying it is like insisting that the earth is flat.

But people deny it anyway, because they don't want to believe the drug companies are pushing a lot of drugs to people who do not need them. They want to have faith in our medical system, which says that these problems are genetic, and therefore drugs are necessary.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:21 AM

10,078 posts, read 9,318,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
If you have high BP in spite of a healthy lifestyle, that does NOT prove it's mostly genetic. In the great majority of cases, lifestyle is the main cause.

Type 2 diabetes (insulin resistance) is primarily a lifestyle disease, and it is also a major cause of heart disease. Vulnerability to insulin resistance probably has a genetic component (as does everything), but individuals with healthy lifestyles are unlikely to get it, whatever their genetic tendencies.

And smoking is also a very common cause of heart disease and high BP.

Therefore, we know for a fact that MOST cardiovascular disease is lifestyle-related, and only partly genetic.

There are so many posts here, whenever this subject comes up, by people who are exceptions. The claim always seems to be that lifestyle doesn't matter that much, and people often need drugs to stay healthy and survive.

You can smoke all your life and never get heart disease or cancer. But you will be MUCH MORE LIKELY to get them than someone who does not smoke.

Similarly, for other lifestyle factors. The overweight person who drinks coke all day and never exercises is MUCH MORE LIKELY to eventually have these health problems. The thin person who eats natural food and exercises is MUCH LESS LIKELY to have insulin resistance, heart disease, hypertension, etc.

This is all shown beyond doubt by lots of scientific research. Denying it is like insisting that the earth is flat.

But people deny it anyway, because they don't want to believe the drug companies are pushing a lot of drugs to people who do not need them. They want to have faith in our medical system, which says that these problems are genetic, and therefore drugs are necessary.
Ugh. When you have two generations with HBP what do you think it is then? And lifestyle changes do not always result in resolution or cessation of the condition. There are many overweight people who don't have pressure or sugar issues. No one is denying that being overweight isn't healthy - DUH - but you're just chalking up a condition to mostly lifestyle and simplistically think that resolving the "lifestyle" will bring about dramatic results without medications. That is bullcrap. Lifestyle did nothing to resolve my condition but medication did. Sue me. If I still have raging blood pressure despite being a gym beast, then I have to deal with it some how.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Ugh. When you have two generations with HBP what do you think it is then? And lifestyle changes do not always result in resolution or cessation of the condition. There are many overweight people who don't have pressure or sugar issues. No one is denying that being overweight isn't healthy - DUH - but you're just chalking up a condition to mostly lifestyle and simplistically think that resolving the "lifestyle" will bring about dramatic results without medications. That is bullcrap. Lifestyle did nothing to resolve my condition but medication did. Sue me. If I still have raging blood pressure despite being a gym beast, then I have to deal with it some how.
You do not understand what I said. You have to think about PROBABILITIES. A healthy lifestyle will NOT prevent everyone from getting sick! Obviously. But it will decrease the PROBABILITY that you will get sick.

No wonder so many people buy lottery tickets -- they never learned about probability.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:40 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,340,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It may just be the case of too little, too late. For example, when you quit smoking, it's a certain number of years before all that junk is out of your system. My mom smoked for 60+ years, guess what, the damage was done, she should've made that lifestyle change decades ago to avoid all her issues now with her heart, blood pressure, osteoporosis, etc.

As for going from a poor eater and obese to thin, strong and healthier, not sure if there's also a certain number of years it takes with the healthier lifestyle to negate all the damage. That would be interesting to know. I'd love for my brother's bp to come down as he starts losing weight.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
It may just be the case of too little, too late. For example, when you quit smoking, it's a certain number of years before all that junk is out of your system. My mom smoked for 60+ years, guess what, the damage was done, she should've made that lifestyle change decades ago to avoid all her issues now with her heart, blood pressure, osteoporosis, etc.

As for going from a poor eater and obese to thin, strong and healthier, not sure if there's also a certain number of years it takes with the healthier lifestyle to negate all the damage. That would be interesting to know. I'd love for my brother's bp to come down as he starts losing weight.
One mistake I think people can make is expecting dramatic results in a few months. If someone had an unhealthy lifestyle for decades, it could take years to make a difference. So, after a short while they give up and take drugs instead.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:00 PM

27,505 posts, read 17,652,800 times
Quote:
One mistake I think people can make is expecting dramatic results in a few months. If someone had an unhealthy lifestyle for decades, it could take years to make a difference. So, after a short while they give up and take drugs instead.
Yes, because no matter what the reason, HBP is dangerous, so you should.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 PM

1,363 posts, read 655,288 times
Quote:

One-third of all obese people never get type 2 diabetes.

33% is not an unusual exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or