U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2018, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,103 posts, read 9,337,589 times
Reputation: 13180

Advertisements

yeah I pop pills? And so what? They work. You tell me what’s a proven alternative when diet and exercise obviously don’t work? I’m a big proponent of exercise. These muscles aren’t just for show and tell. But I was in stroke territory and Now I’m not. There’s no discernible health problem resulting from the drugs but there sure would be if I stopped taking them. I pop pills because I don’t want any more babies either. Sue me. Be glad that you live in the first world where you have options to take drugs or not. Many people in developing countries do not. If you don’t want to take drugs then don’t but don’t think your words are gospel. It is very dangerous to suggest that someone who is hypertensive simply “lose weight” and eat lots of x substance to cure what ails them. They need to consult their doctor and start some sort of therapy whatever that may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2018, 03:35 PM
 
4,725 posts, read 2,929,530 times
Reputation: 11574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post

As someone who's probably looking at high blood pressure medications in the near future, how well do these really work at lowering blood pressure? Does it take a while before any results are seen?
Medications for high blood pressure work extremely well, and it is crucial that you take them! Otherwise, you're in danger of having a stroke, heart attack, kidney damage or kidney disease, lessening of eyesight, damage to your arteries, pulmonary problems.

They work quite quickly, but you may need to try a number of different medications and different combinations of two meds together to find the ones which work the best for you in lowering the pressure to appropriate numbers.

If you find that the prescribed meds are not lowering your blood pressure enough, you need to stay on top of the situation, and have your physician prescribe others that will be more effective.

After trying a number, I found that Lisinopril and Metoprolol Succinate ER (Extended Release) work extremely well in combination. I've been taking blood pressure medicine since age 35.

One lifesaver is having a blood pressure measuring device at home. I would not be without one. They cost as low as $35 to $50+. You can order one at walmart.com or amazon.com. Then you can keep track of your own blood pressure.

Blood pressure medications are NOT optional. (like statins are optional, for example) One of the worse things ever is to ignore your need for blood pressure lowering meds. People who ignore the need are notorious for having a stroke, kidney disease, and heart attacks.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-22-2018 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 04:05 PM
 
3,470 posts, read 941,576 times
Reputation: 2607
According to the comments here, extremely high BP can sometimes occur for no known reason. However, it is important to remember that MOST of the time it is a typical result of the modern lifestyle.

There are cultures where high BP and heart disease are extremely rare, but when people immigrate here from those cultures, they start getting the American diseases. Therefore, it is mostly NOT genetic.

Heart disease, hypertension, insulin resistance, all have increased dramatically over recent decades. We did not change genetically. It is lifestyle.

There are exceptions, and some of them post here every time we have this debate. But a small number of exceptions doesn't prove that the general theory is wrong. And, in fact, it is common knowledge that being overweight, or smoking, greatly increases the risk. So it's really the kind of thing that everyone knows, and is not really a subject for debate.

Yet we have this debate here, over and over. We hear about the rare exceptions again and again.

When someone here says they need the drugs and are grateful for them, they usually add that they are thin and athletic and know about nutrition. I never see anyone post that they're overweight and/or smoke, but are taking the drugs because they don't want to bother changing their habits. So either no one here is in that category, or else they don't want to mention it.

A very large percentage of Americans are on BP or cholesterol drugs. They do NOT all have rare genetic defects. They are scared into taking the drugs, and they are led to think drugs are about as effective as lifestyle improvement.

An MD told me that ALL her patients with high cholesterol who don't take drugs die. As opposed to the ones who take the drugs and are fine.

Now that is not even possible, since statin drugs only reduce risk of death within 5 years by 1 or 2 percent. So people are still dying from heart attacks in spite of the drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 04:30 PM
 
4,630 posts, read 10,515,895 times
Reputation: 10333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
According to the comments here, extremely high BP can sometimes occur for no known reason. However, it is important to remember that MOST of the time it is a typical result of the modern lifestyle.

There are cultures where high BP and heart disease are extremely rare, but when people immigrate here from those cultures, they start getting the American diseases. Therefore, it is mostly NOT genetic.

Heart disease, hypertension, insulin resistance, all have increased dramatically over recent decades. We did not change genetically. It is lifestyle.

There are exceptions, and some of them post here every time we have this debate. But a small number of exceptions doesn't prove that the general theory is wrong. And, in fact, it is common knowledge that being overweight, or smoking, greatly increases the risk. So it's really the kind of thing that everyone knows, and is not really a subject for debate.

Yet we have this debate here, over and over. We hear about the rare exceptions again and again.

When someone here says they need the drugs and are grateful for them, they usually add that they are thin and athletic and know about nutrition. I never see anyone post that they're overweight and/or smoke, but are taking the drugs because they don't want to bother changing their habits. So either no one here is in that category, or else they don't want to mention it.

A very large percentage of Americans are on BP or cholesterol drugs. They do NOT all have rare genetic defects. They are scared into taking the drugs, and they are led to think drugs are about as effective as lifestyle improvement.

An MD told me that ALL her patients with high cholesterol who don't take drugs die. As opposed to the ones who take the drugs and are fine.

Now that is not even possible, since statin drugs only reduce risk of death within 5 years by 1 or 2 percent. So people are still dying from heart attacks in spite of the drugs.
There is no “debate”.....

There are quite a few folks who present well supported evidence that refutes everything you say......you then provide the same unsubstantiated opinions above over and over and over

Wash....,rinse......,repeat

Not a debate at all facts vs opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 04:35 PM
 
18,931 posts, read 6,193,789 times
Reputation: 12736
No one has the facts as everyone is so unique and what is good for one is not necessarily good for the other. In a PERFECT world no one would take BP drugs as everyone would be perfect...nor any drugs for that matter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 04:42 PM
 
4,630 posts, read 10,515,895 times
Reputation: 10333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No one has the facts as everyone is so unique and what is good for one is not necessarily good for the other. In a PERFECT world no one would take BP drugs as everyone would be perfect...nor any drugs for that matter....
1. Is there a point to your perfect world comment?

2. You like to act as if “nothing can be known” when it comes to the practice of medicine. It helps with your agenda to bash evidence based medicine in favor of worthless alternative treatments. The FACT is that the mechanisms that account for hypertension are well understood as are the treatments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 04:46 PM
 
3,470 posts, read 941,576 times
Reputation: 2607
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There is no “debate”.....

There are quite a few folks who present well supported evidence that refutes everything you say......you then provide the same unsubstantiated opinions above over and over and over

Wash....,rinse......,repeat

Not a debate at all facts vs opinions
So that means you're saying it isn't lifestyle. It's genetics, or old age. Drugs are necessary for most people.

Yet everyone knows heart disease is associated with obesity and smoking. So whatever you are trying to say does not add up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 05:15 PM
 
3,470 posts, read 941,576 times
Reputation: 2607
AND I never said people are lazy. I said they are misinformed. Or some are not informed at all.

Recently one of my neighbors was outside smoking a cigarette, and he asked me why I walk every day. He asked if it was to stay in shape. I don't know how to answer people who ask that (and a lot have). They don't know anything whatsoever about health. So I just tell them I like to walk. Which is true anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 06:18 PM
 
16,185 posts, read 20,200,340 times
Reputation: 46747
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I have been taking Amlodipine for about 4 months now. Hubby is on the same thing. I tried diet, low sodium. eating tons of celery, different teas, nothing worked. So now I am one of the millions on BP meds.
It only took a couple of days to lower my BP

My history of blood pressure meds go back a couple decades and Amlodipine and Fosinopril have worked out just fine for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 PM
 
Location: California
68 posts, read 33,073 times
Reputation: 220
routine blood tests......kidneys, cholesterol, diabetics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top