Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:26 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know a lot of people who are on or were on Lisonopril that have had problems. I do not.
My mother and my husband also take Lisinopril and far as I know, have had no problems with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 10:29 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I use Lisinopril and Metaprolol (that's for the cardiac thing). I saw almost immediate change. I was on blood pressure meds several years prior to my cardiac adventure (which was caused by a totally blocked coronary artery).

Now I will tell you that you're going to have people pop on here shortly who will tell you that high blood pressure is a conspiracy and you're being conned by Big Pharma. They'll also tell you that you will get the same results by doing bee pollen enemas and using poultices of rat **** and acorns.
No, we will say that you might have high blood pressure for a reason, and it probably is not entirely genetically determined. If you have not even thought about nutrition and exercise, then starting a drug is a big mistake.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:44 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I've been taking BP meds for about 35 years. Lisinopril and HCTZ keep my BP under perfect control. Without them, my BP runs 190/90s or higher. With them, my BP stays around 110/70. The meds take effect right away.

I did get the lisinopril cough for a week or two, but it stopped on its own, with no side effects since then.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
No, we will say that you might have high blood pressure for a reason, and it probably is not entirely genetically determined. If you have not even thought about nutrition and exercise, then starting a drug is a big mistake.

I was young, and a runner, when I was diagnosed with high BP. I eat like a rabbit, weigh 114 pounds, and I exercise regularly--and I still have hypertension. Since you say it isn't genetics, I assume I must be an alien being, and this is just the way my body works.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:01 AM

494 posts, read 286,056 times
So many people these days are on high blood pressure meds. I am 70 years old and I was put on a "water pill" for high blood pressure. I was told by my doctors that there are no side effects to taking a water pill. I had blood tests taken and all my readings were off the charts, which never happened to me before so I took myself off the meds. (I wouldn't recommend this without talking to your doctor first) My doctor wanted my blood pressure (top number) to go down to below 118. My bottom number is fine. He decided to put me on an ACE inhibitor but I refused. I figured there was enough going with the water pill, and I certainly wasn't doing the stronger drug that actually affects how your heart works. I've been to 3 different doctors and they all want me on high blood pressure pills after the nurse takes 1 blood pressure reading in their office. I don't agree with it because your blood pressure goes up and down a lot during the day. After all was said and done, my blood pressure top number is between 130-133 without taking any pills. Now, I'm 70 years old and I personally can live with that number. Your pressure goes up as you get older, not to mention if you have any stress in your life so, my take on this, be careful starting any medications without knowing what can happen to your body. If I had taken an ACE inhibitor, I probably would not have been able to stop taking it for the rest of my life without really doing a lot more damage to my body. i would also have to take more meds to compensate for the side effects of the pill. If you have high blood pressure, diet and exercise have a lot to do with it. Watch your stress, eat low salt foods, and exercise to keep your weight down. I would try all of this before taking any pills. Ultimately, it's your decision but, I've learned from my mistakes.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:06 AM

8,760 posts, read 5,055,756 times
I have been taking Amlodipine for about 4 months now. Hubby is on the same thing. I tried diet, low sodium. eating tons of celery, different teas, nothing worked. So now I am one of the millions on BP meds.
It only took a couple of days to lower my BP

Old 07-21-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
all my readings were off the charts, .

What readings?

Old 07-21-2018, 12:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
As someone who's probably looking at high blood pressure medications in the near future, how well do these really work at lowering blood pressure? Does it take a while before any results are seen?
I use Metoprolol ER (Extended Release) Succinate 50 mg once a day. It can cause drowsiness, so I take it at night just before bed. It can be taken during the day, but it does take time to get accustomed to it. Overall, it has worked out very nicely for me, and has reduced my blood pressure to a normal rate and to prevent atrial fibrillation which put me in the hospital's ICU for a few days. I've had no a-fib recurrence since. I've also changed my diet a bit by reducing excess salt and get moderate exercise, usually brisk walking, on a regular basis - 15 minutes twice a day. I also try to maintain a positive attitude to reduce any unnecessary stresses.

There can be some side effects, so it's best to do a little research to prepare in advance.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I have been on Enalapril for at least 35 years. It's a generic for something else, I forgot what. It controls my BP nicely and has no side effects at all.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:07 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I was young, and a runner, when I was diagnosed with high BP. I eat like a rabbit, weigh 114 pounds, and I exercise regularly--and I still have hypertension. Since you say it isn't genetics, I assume I must be an alien being, and this is just the way my body works.
I said it PROBABLY is not ENTIRELY genetic.

And yours probably has a reason. Maybe entirely genetic, but maybe not. My point is at least look for a cause before starting drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness