Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,583,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Let's face facts. Most doctors are trying to earn a living and pay off medical school debts. They are not doing what they do out of the goodness of their hearts and that has been true for many decades; but now we have the greed of the pharmaceutical and insurance companies confounding matters. Given these circumstances, I have determined that becoming at least somewhat knowledgeable in rudimentary physiology, biochemistry and general health is important to protect myself in this world of corporate medicine.

I will use google and the internet to become informed so that my concerns will not be bowled over by the medical establishment.
I agree with you on all counts.

The best defense is to be informed.

The corporate doctor of today has almost nothing in common of the good doctors of yesteryears.

Being a doctor used to be a profession that attracted good people - now it attracts greedy "business" people - kind of mindless robots with no bedside manner and if you need TLC, you'd better hire a nanny or get a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I agree with you on all counts.

The best defense is to be informed.

The corporate doctor of today has almost nothing in common of the good doctors of yesteryears.

Being a doctor used to be a profession that attracted good people - now it attracts greedy "business" people - kind of mindless robots with no bedside manner and if you need TLC, you'd better hire a nanny or get a dog.
Good grief and I thought it was ME thinking as I do about the doctors of the past and the ones who carried the little black bag to your house. And the family doctor who delivered children and took care of the family and had their comfortable not greedy lives. Yes, I miss the old time docs.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:50 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Yes, I would say the failure was a result of your poor research. You’re telling me you can’t google your diagnosis and google won’t turn up results that match your symptoms? That would mean that your condition was never written. No way.
Sure it can work. Doctors will tell you that the most common things are always the first things on a list when trying to make a diagnosis. Sometimes, though, the symptoms of a common illness can be symptoms of something uncommon. The saying is, "When you hear hoof beats on the bridge, think of horses, not zebras."

Take my dad, for example. He had classic symptoms of appendicitis, except for being much older than the average person with it. Even the surgeon who operated on him thought he had it. It turned out that he had a ruptured Meckel's diverticulum.* Most people with the condition never have symptoms, but if they do, it's usually in childhood. The surgeon was surprised when he opened my dad up and found the rupture, since he had been unwell for less than a day.

*https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...s-diverticulum

On the other hand, my FIL told his doctor he had appendicitis and he did. He looked his symptoms up in an ancient book of medical advice that he had, long before the internet.

My dad also went to his internist once because he thought his indigestion was getting worse. Turns out he was in the early stages of a heart attack. The artery involved was the one called "the widow maker." Had he just gone in and said he had indigestion and walked out with medication for it he could have literally dropped dead in the parking lot. As it was, he was across the street and in the hospital and to the cath lab in minutes. He arrested in the cath lab and was transferred immediately after he was resuscitated to the OR, where bypass surgery bought him a significant number of good years.

DH knows a woman whose symptom of a heart attack was just pain in her jaw. No chest pain at all. Her doctor made the diagnosis because he had seen it before.

You may think you know what is wrong with you. You may be right. But you should consider that an experienced physician has seen whole herds of horses and a few zebras. You want a doctor who can cull the zebras out of the herd and get the right treatment for them.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:25 AM

10,819 posts, read 7,187,915 times
I think you need to research and learn about your health; part of that is talking to your doctor. I've been misdiagnosed and gotten poor treatment from live doctors, but probably would have died if Google were my only resource.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:07 AM

5,457 posts, read 3,330,089 times
If I haven't put in a day in doctor school I wouldn't be self-diagnosing. Telling a doctor what to or not to prescribe is like telling him his 8 years in University was a waste of money.
I guess you are on a slippery slope.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:32 AM

15,703 posts, read 9,407,453 times
Quote:
Wrong. I’ve correctly diagnosed myself multiple times about conditions I knew nothing about.
This post needs a laugh track!

Oh, and let me know when Google can write out a prescription for you!

Old 07-23-2018, 03:35 AM

15,703 posts, read 9,407,453 times
Quote:
Second, doctors were only better at more serious conditions, while less serious computers were better.
That sounds like a good reason to trust actual doctors over Doc Goggle if I ever heard one.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:45 AM

7,200 posts, read 4,464,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
So has every doctor I've had for the past 20 years. I used them at my peril and perilous it was
HA. So true. I can't say any doctor I have seen over the last 20 years has been right about anything. If I just trusted them I would probably be on disability now.

But there is some stuff that is just impossible to really get as a stranger to the situation. For instance, Friday I developed bad neck pain out of no place. It wasn't meningitis or anything serious, but it wasn't getting better and was very painful. I googled neck pain to get ideas and up came dehydration. It just hit me that was probably it as I had been very busy this past week and definitely haven't been paying attention to my water consumption.

I upped the water and this morning the pain is 80% less. After nothing changed it for days.

No doctor would have figured that out and probably would have done the standard bull of telling me to take motrin and muscle relaxers.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:02 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,036,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
For something super simple, maybe. For anything with symptoms that match many diseases and issues, not so much. Last time I tried Dr. Google all signs pointed the pain on the top of my foot being a stress fracture. It was a patch of garden variety arthritis. Guess Dr. Google isn’t quite the diagnostician he should be.
Always question your doctor. If you do Google use peer reviewed. sources. Never, blindly, trust anyone. These knowledge filled doctors misdiagnosed my father who is nowcdeceased from metastasized colon cancer. So I call bull on blindly trusting a doctor. Oh, doctors were told of oxys aren't addicting.

Last edited by FlowerPower00; 07-23-2018 at 06:24 AM..

Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 AM

11,409 posts, read 7,721,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Always question your doctor. If you do Google use peer reviewed. sources. Never, blindly, trust anyone. These knowledge filled doctors misdiagnosed my father who is nowcdeceased from metastasized colon cancer. So I call bull on blindly trusting a doctor. Oh, doctors were told of oxys aren't addicting.
Um, if you read my posts you’d know that my diagnosis via Google was incorrect. I went to the doctor just knowing I had either a stress fracture or extensor tendonitis. But, I didn’t. It took an actual MD and an X-ray to correctly diagnose the issue. She outlined how to mitigate the issue going forward and lo and behold, no more foot pain.

I find it laughable that some are 100% mistrustful of anything a doctor tells them despite their years of training and practicing medicine and yet are 100% accepting of what a search engine says. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness