Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:32 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times

Advertisements

I’ve found that I easily find better, faster, and more accurate information just googling my issues than seeing a doctor. Basically every sickness or illness known to man is searchable on the internet. Not only that, but there are forums where people who have had similar issues who can share their advice. The only time I do see a doctor is when I need medication, and then I go in already knowing what is wrong with me and basically telling him what I need. A few times I even had to correct a doctor about an ADD medication because it wasn’t a medication primarily used. But he still should have known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 04:38 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Web sites for medical issues are notoriously incorrect.

Use at your own peril.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:41 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
OP: I agree with a lot of what you say about Dr. Google...been using him/her for many years while on health forums. If I have a real tough issue, then I'll see my integrative MD. There is a lot of good help out there for us. Many differences from many here.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Web sites for medical issues are notoriously incorrect.

Use at your own peril.
I look at multiple sites and don’t see how they could be incorrect and have never seen them be incorrect. What is your reference for them being notoriously incorrect? Google delivers pages in the results based on which sites are best. I then look at 5-10 different sites, and most match up.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:59 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Google can be very helpful with medical issues. But you have to read into the search results to gain insight....filter-out and good from bad.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:06 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Never trust anything you find in google. Go to a real qualified medical doctor, communicate your problem effectively in that 15 minutes, and believe whatever he tells you. Do whatever he tells you. Do not question, because after all if you don't have a medical degree you are not qualified to think about health. Ever.

And don't bother with a second opinion, because all medical doctors are equally brilliant and all of them will give you perfect advice.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:08 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
For something super simple, maybe. For anything with symptoms that match many diseases and issues, not so much. Last time I tried Dr. Google all signs pointed the pain on the top of my foot being a stress fracture. It was a patch of garden variety arthritis. Guess Dr. Google isn’t quite the diagnostician he should be.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
For something super simple, maybe. For anything with symptoms that match many diseases and issues, not so much. Last time I tried Dr. Google all signs pointed the pain on the top of my foot being a stress fracture. It was a patch of garden variety arthritis. Guess Dr. Google isn’t quite the diagnostician he should be.
You probably didn’t research well enough and use enough symptoms and keywords. I’ve diagnosed myself with an extremely rare headache called a cluster headache that most doctors misdiagnose even though it can easily be discovered on google.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Never trust anything you find in google. Go to a real qualified medical doctor, communicate your problem effectively in that 15 minutes, and believe whatever he tells you. Do whatever he tells you. Do not question, because after all if you don't have a medical degree you are not qualified to think about health. Ever.

And don't bother with a second opinion, because all medical doctors are equally brilliant and all of them will give you perfect advice.
Instead believe everything Google and/or every arm chair doctor on the interwebz claims. Don’t question them. Do everything they tell you. After all, they know BEST about everything health related since they spent 15 minutes Googling. They’re all equally brilliant and will give you perfect advice. You can (and will) bet your life on it.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
You probably didn’t research well enough and use enough symptoms and keywords. I’ve diagnosed myself with an extremely rare headache called a cluster headache that most doctors misdiagnose even though it can easily be discovered on google.
Of course! Any failure of a correct Google diagnosis must be based on poor research and use of keywords. My lack of a medical degree or any medical training couldn’t possibly be a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness