Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 01:02 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,776,126 times

Advertisements

It never occurred to me... I just bought new ones whenever the lightning struck.
If it is obviously soiled for any reason, of course it is cleaned or tossed, but otherwise when is the recommended time period for a rewash?
And can all pillows be washed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 01:10 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,704,037 times
I wash everything whether it says it can be washed or not, including all pillows.

I never think of a time period, but likely wash them every 5-6 months, less than some, I expect. People who sell pillows and mattresses love to talk about all sorts of mites etc....they likely would suggest more often than I wash them...not sure if there is a specific recommendation.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:33 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,718,051 times
I wash my pillows every other week in very hot water and bleach. I also replace pillows yearly.

Those mites have me running scared. :P

Old 07-24-2018, 02:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,946,330 times
I hate washing pillows and then have them come out of the wash all lumpy. To keep from having to wash them very often, I have each pillow covered in 4-5 pillowcases, which are all washed weekly. The pillows themselves are in zippered pillow protectors underneath all the pillowcases, and they stay clean and white for a very long time.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:03 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,704,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I hate washing pillows and then have them come out of the wash all lumpy. To keep from having to wash them very often, I have each pillow covered in 4-5 pillowcases, which are all washed weekly. The pillows themselves are in zippered pillow protectors underneath all the pillowcases, and they stay clean and white for a very long time.

LOL....beats washing these dang pillows and then having to dry them for hours and hours!!

Old 07-24-2018, 03:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,568,121 times
I'm not into washing pillows...my mom never did either. Some people put them in dryer on fluff and some just buy new pillows when they feel it's time. I have been using a temperpedic for years and wash the cover.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:20 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
I use a pillow protector. I wash the pillow slips every week. I wash the pillow protectors about once a month. I lay all our pillows out in the sun all day long, flipping them every few hours, every week and if I'm not washing the pillow protectors then I just leave them on the pillows as they sun.

I also dry everything - pillow slips and pillow protectors, as well as sheets and quilts, in the sun - I let them hang outside all day. I live in Texas so we get plenty of sun, even in the winter time. It doesn't matter if it's cold outside - if the sun is shining, I probably have bedding airing outside. I often take the dog beds, the throw pillows, afghans, and even throw rugs outside to sun as well, several times a week.

The sun is a natural disinfectant.

My pillows were not made to be washed. The instructions specifically say do not wash them. When I feel like they're no longer fresh or whatever, I just buy new ones.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:15 PM

24,218 posts, read 9,128,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm not into washing pillows...my mom never did either. Some people put them in dryer on fluff and some just buy new pillows when they feel it's time. I have been using a temperpedic for years and wash the cover.
Same here. Unless I plan to rent out my room to AirBnB(in which case I would get separate pillows) I’m not going to wash my pillows.

So far so good, I haven’t fallen ill to any pillow diseases

Old 07-24-2018, 07:02 PM

390 posts, read 302,820 times
I've used the same pillows for years. I wash the actual pillows once every couple of years? lol! The sheets and pillow cases get washed every weekend or every two weeks. I use a pillow protector as well.

Last edited by RoadLessTraveled2015; 07-24-2018 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: edited to say that I also use a pillow protector.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:03 PM

48,292 posts, read 34,418,461 times
I wash pillows about every 6 months, and they are in pillow protectors too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness