Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 06:04 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I said evolution BY CHANCE is not proven. Evolution is proven. Just stop now.
Evolution, by its very nature, is by chance. And no, sorry, I won’t stop if you keep posting nonsense.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:10 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,418,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Evolution, by its very nature, is by chance. And no, sorry, I won’t stop if you keep posting nonsense.
It is NOT. Evolution was a theory long before Darwin's hypothesis about natural selection. If you have not read any science history, then I can't help you with this.

Lamarck's theory of evolution, for example, preceded Darwin's, and had nothing to do with chance.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
From the books/articles I've read, it seems that the populations who eat a whole food diet, have clean water to drink, exercise quite a bit, and have strong social networks and relatively low stress live the longest and have the lowest incidences of common diseases.

I'll go with that.
Yes, but if you take enough drugs you can live on coke and twinkies. The drugs will keep you safe.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:11 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
The joints need to move, the muscles need to move. We are animals, not plants. Too obvious to argue about.
But what is the pathology? How does sitting "contribute to knee misalignment"? What tissues are invoved? Be specific, please.

Quote:
No, evolution by chance is not disproven. It's just a ridiculous idea. I know you hate religion, and think it's stupid and unscientific, but don't worry I am not debating with you.

But believing the universe is intelligent has nothing to do with organized religion. And it in no way contradicts anything in science. And it makes the origin and evolution of life and consciousness comprehensible. A dead universe generating life and consciousness is incomprehensible. But some people like it, because it means nature is stupid and therefore they should be able to understand and control it. Someday.
Well, some of us do not need magic (whether you call it religion or not) to make the universe comprehensible. May the Force - by whatever name you choose to give it - be with you.

Quote:
The idea that nature is stupid and the universe is mindless is what makes medical doctors think they can understand and improve on nature.

The intricate processes that go on in living things are beyond human comprehension. Throwing artificial chemicals into these processes should not be done recklessly. But it is. Because you don't see these processes as intricate and amazingly intelligent.

It's all just random junk thrown together, organized by natural selection into something that manages to survive long enough to reproduce. No purpose, no meaning, just massive stupidity. That's your world. Lovely.
We got here through evolution, which requires no guiding intelligence to make it work.

Our lives have whatever meaning and purpose we give to them, whether we have religious beliefs or not. There are people who live good, moral lives without believing in a deity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
???? I'm not familiar with that work, and possibly your short synopsis doesn't do it justice (or I'm too dense), but a drug like, say, alpha-methyldopa, possibly the most universally effective anti-hypertensive and available for 40 yrs, has rarely been prescribed over the past 30 yrs----so how would that be rated?...And how credible is a stat with an implied accuracy of 1 in 10,000 when we're talking about survival time-- that would mean an accuracy in terms of ~50 minutes per year? Even if it's true, that 0.52%/y over 30yrs is only an improved survival of ~60 days. I'd suggest it's not worth taking.
There is a link to the entire article embedded in the citation I gave.

Here is another one that shows that people using newer drugs live longer:

The Effect of Drug Vintage on Survival: Micro Evidence from Puerto Rico's Medicaid Program

Old 07-29-2018, 06:13 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
The United States is not all the same. It would be possible to calculate separate averages for wealthy, middle class, and poor, for example. Maybe they don't teach any math or logic in medical school.
Clearly you never learned any math or science for that matter ( intelligent design does not count as science)

Do you understand how averages work?

One does not need to calculate different “averages” for every possible demographic of income, education, height, weight or whatever other variable you wish to introduce....

The US may not be entirely the same but the SD from the averages I provided is quite small

If the question is what is the average age of death for a white male living in the US in 1920 the data I provided answers that question

I didn’t see anywhere in your OP what is the average age of death for a white male living in LA making 100k who is 6 feet tall with BS degree that’s a whole different question and not very useful for making generalizations

You know what generalizations are right?

That’s all you ever post....unsupported non scientific generalizations

Old 07-29-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But what is the pathology? How does sitting "contribute to knee misalignment"? What tissues are invoved? Be specific, please.

Well, some of us do not need magic (whether you call it religion or not) to make the universe comprehensible. May the Force - by whatever name you choose to give it - be with you.

We got here through evolution, which requires no guiding intelligence to make it work.
And you know that how? Because it's the mythology and you like to go along?

Quote:
Our lives have whatever meaning and purpose we give to them, whether we have religious beliefs or not. There are people who live good, moral lives without believing in a deity.
No problem if you want to be an atheist, we have religious freedom in the US. But I sure am not surprised. And by the way, many people are not atheists. You sound like it's been all settled and proven, and you are of course on the side of Truth.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:10 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
It is NOT. Evolution was a theory long before Darwin's hypothesis about natural selection. If you have not read any science history, then I can't help you with this.

Lamarck's theory of evolution, for example, preceded Darwin's, and had nothing to do with chance.
And it has been long disproven....here's an easy explanation for you:
Evolution

Old 07-29-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And it has been long disproven....here's an easy explanation for you:
Evolution
Research in epigenetics has shown that Lamarck was right about at least some things.

And I was not saying Lamarck is correct, anyway. I just mentioned his theory as one example of an evolution theory that preceded Darwin's. And Darwin was not at all sure about his own theory, but the way. It wasn't until mid 20th century that natural selection was elevated to be the driving and organizing force of evolution. Without scientific evidence, of course, just that it agreed with atheism so it made the atheists happy.

But I REALLY think the evolution debate is off topic. The answer is not known, so people just yell at each other and it goes no where.

I have my own opinion based on decades of reading and thinking. You can have your atheism and I hope it makes you very happy.

The end.

If anyone wants to talk about medical myths and longevity, that's fine.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:26 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:

Lamarck's theory is now finding support in the areas of epigenetics and micro-RNA. However his theory does not require intelligent design and epigenetics does not negate Darwinian evolution.

Quote:
Yes, but if you take enough drugs you can live on coke and twinkies. The drugs will keep you safe.
That is not what physicians tell patients. Some patients want to believe it, though.

Quote:
And you know that how? Because it's the mythology and you like to go along?

No problem if you want to be an atheist, we have religious freedom in the US. But I sure am not surprised. And by the way, many people are not atheists. You sound like it's been all settled and proven, and you are of course on the side of Truth.
My opinion carries just as much weight as yours.

I take it you do not believe an atheist can be a good and moral person?

Old 07-29-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Lamarck's theory is now finding support in the areas of epigenetics and micro-RNA. However his theory does not require intelligent design and epigenetics does not negate Darwinian evolution.

That is not what physicians tell patients. Some patients want to believe it, though.

My opinion carries just as much weight as yours.

I take it you do not believe an atheist can be a good and moral person?
Sure you can have your opinion if it makes you happy somehow. Notice that I was able to guess you are an atheist because of your medical opinions!!!

My opinions are just as good as yours, so we're even, argument over.

Can you be good and moral? To me, morality and religion (or spirituality, whatever) are separate things. There is nothing preventing an atheist from being moral. Or, rather, thinking they are moral, because none of us really knows what is moral or not. The atheist probably has a better grip on it, since they have no sense of mystery and they think they have life figured out. For me, morality is confusing but I look to the infinite universe for guidance.

To each her own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness