U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2018, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,680 posts, read 7,331,540 times
Reputation: 31690

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You have to understand that there are people who will follow doctors orders, no matter what. "They know more than me".

Ten years ago when I had that case of food poisoning and got ringing in my ears and double vision from Cipro, my husband screamed at me saying, "Doctor SAYS you must take ALL of these". No doctor, or YOU, can crawl inside my body to know how I am feeling. I do not need anyone's permission to stop taking a medication.

Couple of years ago my husband started feeling dizzy and falling down with a new Parkinson's medication. What is wrong with me? Duh? Maybe that NEW medication? Stop taking it and see how you feel. TRY stopping it. You are not going to DIE without it. You do not need doctor's permission to stop it. He felt much better, and admitted it was the new medication causing his symptoms. Doctor then told him to go back on his previous medication. Imagine THAT!

I just don't know why some people cannot think for themselves. Only Doctors can add 1 + 1 = 2? I am on your side, Good4Nothin, and older than you are.
So are you blaming the person or the doctor? Did the doctor tell your husband - now we're switching meds - be sure to ignore anything new? Isn't it obvious when you make a change that you observe any differences? Doesn't your doctor want to know if you're experiencing side effects? Because if you switch meds it is to see if you can make things better and if things are worse then of course they'll go back.

I don't know why people even go to doctors when they have such horrible views of them. A doctor works WITH you and wants your input - otherwise you switch doctors. You act like doctors are devils who hypnotize their patients into zombies....very weird relationship you have with doctors.

 
Old 08-04-2018, 07:28 PM
 
3,539 posts, read 979,201 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol. And everyone here knows who those 3 people are...
Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot about you. Actually there are about 4 of you all together.

But if you read other threads, many here are skeptical of drugs. It's a growing awareness in our society, and I hope it continues.
 
Old 08-04-2018, 07:44 PM
 
610 posts, read 152,646 times
Reputation: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
YOU DON'T KNOW. YOU WERE NOT THERE. You don't know him, or me, or his doctors.

Doctors STILL tell patients they only need 120 minutes of exercise per week. That is still the official recommendation. And they still don't recommend very low, or no, carbohydrates (temporarily) for patients trying to recover from metabolic syndrome or type 2 diabetes.
And many of them will tell,diabetic patients that if they want chocolate cake they should eat chocolate cake. Just increase their insulin or other drug. Not quite responsible diet info for a diabetic.
 
Old 08-04-2018, 07:44 PM
 
783 posts, read 423,858 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
YOU DON'T KNOW. YOU WERE NOT THERE. You don't know him, or me, or his doctors.

Doctors STILL tell patients they only need 120 minutes of exercise per week. That is still the official recommendation. And they still don't recommend very low, or no, carbohydrates (temporarily) for patients trying to recover from metabolic syndrome or type 2 diabetes.
Were you in the doctor's office with your friend? That's nice that you take time from your busy day to help out friends like that!
 
Old 08-04-2018, 07:47 PM
 
610 posts, read 152,646 times
Reputation: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So are you blaming the person or the doctor? Did the doctor tell your husband - now we're switching meds - be sure to ignore anything new? Isn't it obvious when you make a change that you observe any differences? Doesn't your doctor want to know if you're experiencing side effects? Because if you switch meds it is to see if you can make things better and if things are worse then of course they'll go back.

I don't know why people even go to doctors when they have such horrible views of them. A doctor works WITH you and wants your input - otherwise you switch doctors. You act like doctors are devils who hypnotize their patients into zombies....very weird relationship you have with doctors.
The patient needs to be as informed as they possibly can be before they go to any dr, any hospital, have any procedure etc. Then they need to be able to say no. Im not doing or taking xyz and this is why.
Only way to try to stay safe.
 
Old 08-04-2018, 07:50 PM
 
610 posts, read 152,646 times
Reputation: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot about you. Actually there are about 4 of you all together.

But if you read other threads, many here are skeptical of drugs. It's a growing awareness in our society, and I hope it continues.
You are right. Dont let them get to you. The more skepticism the better.
 
Old 08-04-2018, 08:09 PM
 
3,539 posts, read 979,201 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
You are right. Dont let them get to you. The more skepticism the better.
Yes, the medical and drug industry is out of control. Whenever things go to such an extreme, people start to catch on.
 
Old 08-04-2018, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,747 posts, read 26,424,265 times
Reputation: 26922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
YOU DON'T KNOW. YOU WERE NOT THERE. You don't know him, or me, or his doctors.

Doctors STILL tell patients they only need 120 minutes of exercise per week. That is still the official recommendation. And they still don't recommend very low, or no, carbohydrates (temporarily) for patients trying to recover from metabolic syndrome or type 2 diabetes.
WERE YOU THERE? If not, you do not know what his doctors said.

Did you even bother to read the link about cardiac rehab? About customizing the exercise plan for the patient, taking into consideration exercise tolerance? You seem to think someone who has had bypass surgery should immediately start training for a marathon.

No, "very low, or no, carbohydrates" are not recommended for diabetics. It is not necessary and no one will be able to do that. Even the Atkins diet includes carbs.

Talk about Dunning-Kruger.
 
Old 08-04-2018, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,680 posts, read 7,331,540 times
Reputation: 31690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes, the medical and drug industry is out of control. Whenever things go to such an extreme, people start to catch on.
Yes - there are only two options...mindless obedience to "traditional/Western" medicine and big Pharma taking handfuls of meds while vegging on the sofa all day eating chips and other highly processed carbs....vs.

seeing only a naturopath, taking dozens of supps (unregulated), on a Paleo/keto diet and exercising something more than 120 minutes a week - you never gave an actual recommendation. Is 121 minutes a week okay? An hour a day? Can you please give the specific strength/flexibility/cardio breakdown?

It's either your way or the highway...you're gonna die 20 years before your time...or live forever.

Got it! Now, let's hear your rebuttal. "I never said any of that"
 
Old 08-04-2018, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,747 posts, read 26,424,265 times
Reputation: 26922
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539473/

"40-80% of medical information provided by healthcare practitioners [to patients] is forgotten immediately. The greater the amount of information presented, the lower the proportion correctly recalled; furthermore, almost half of the information that is remembered is incorrect. For the forgetting of information there are three basic types of explanation—first, factors related to the clinician, such as use of difficult medical terminology; second, the mode of information (e.g. spoken versus written); and, third, factors related to the patient, such as low education or specific expectations."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top