U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2018, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Wine Country
4,862 posts, read 5,935,357 times
Reputation: 8526

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You are wrong, you have no evidence for your belief. You want to keep worshiping modern medicine. I have never seen you criticize any aspect of it, never.




I have no idea, I never said there were any.

Increases in average lifespan can be seen between here and now, and filthy cities of earlier times. That is just one explanation for the increase in longevity.
Ugh, where is your evidence to back up YOUR beliefs?

 
Old 07-27-2018, 10:31 AM
 
5,612 posts, read 4,178,484 times
Reputation: 12356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Can we try to just agree on the central point of the post? That primitive people were not dying of old age in their 30s. That myth is part of the foundation of the mainstream medical belief that "natural is not better."

It has other foundations as well, such as the ideas that life evolved by chance and DNA is mostly junk. But this post is about the longevity myth.
It’s not a myth. Skeletal records show that living to 40 was very rare. 30 to 35 was the norm.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psy...man-diet%3famp

Life did evolve by chance and the majority of our DNA is non functional. Only 8.2 % is functional. The rest is leftover evolutionary material from our chance beginnings. I wouldn’t label it as junk since scientists are learning from it despite it being non functional.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0724141608.htm

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-dna-and-what/
 
Old 07-27-2018, 10:53 AM
 
644 posts, read 144,812 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Mammals on earth have been having babies for millions of years. Your cat has kittens and most of the time she is ok and does not need surgery or drugs.

Women today have babies at home with midwives, and most of the time they are fine. You are better off not being in the hospital, unless it's an emergency. That's what modern medicine is good for -- emergencies.
and my farm dogs ate a rotted cow my neighbor had dragged in the woods.

Since my farm dogs never got sick, would you advise your kids to visit that rotted cow in the woods when they are hungry ?
 
Old 07-27-2018, 11:19 AM
 
19,040 posts, read 6,253,813 times
Reputation: 12832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
and my farm dogs ate a rotted cow my neighbor had dragged in the woods.

Since my farm dogs never got sick, would you advise your kids to visit that rotted cow in the woods when they are hungry ?
I'm scratching my head, what's this have to do with this thread? Maybe I've missed something.
 
Old 07-27-2018, 11:26 AM
 
644 posts, read 144,812 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm scratching my head, what's this have to do with this thread? Maybe I've missed something.
....." your cat has kittens and most of the time she's ok"

Seems if you anti-medicine folk want to bring up animals surviving, so do I .
 
Old 07-27-2018, 11:33 AM
 
Location: AZ
593 posts, read 309,267 times
Reputation: 2442
Nutrition, sterile surgerie/anesthesia, vaccines, modern drugs are the four verified reasons for longevity. I have no desire to argue the OPs position but our ancestors did not have long life spans on average and those that did simply had more robust immune systems and likely certain genetic traits which include immunity.

More and more researchers are finding that dental issues affect health in serious ways.

Cancers and heart problems are likely due to our poisoned environment. That new carpet and new car emit powerful chemicals. I would agree that diet is important.

I note that in the time of Christ (info only and not debate) His biggest ministry was healing a lot of sickness. The apostles were imbued with that same gift. There is likely no such time when humans were all that healthy. I would mention pre flood times but that would get into a new subject. Not purpose here.

Last edited by Bygeorge; 07-27-2018 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Clarity
 
Old 07-27-2018, 11:34 AM
 
1,485 posts, read 602,130 times
Reputation: 3779
If modern medicine does save lives, and not just in emergency medicine, then what is your point? You are setting up straw dogs to knock down that don't exist. Modern medicine is not all powerful, people don't worship modern medicine, everyone is aware there are good and bad doctors, that treatments don't work the same for everyone. If increased longevity is not caused by modern medicine and is not solely caused by infant mortality reduction, and better sanitation, then what does cause it? It has to be pharmaceuticals, and current diagnostic and medical procedures. If people are less healthy, exercise less, eat junk food, live in polluted air, then why are they living longer? You can't have it both ways. Nothing you have said makes any sense to most of the posters here. So who is brainswashed, them or you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I NEVER SAID modern medicine doesn't save lives. I have said over and over that it does. You missed the point of most of what I have said.
 
Old 07-27-2018, 03:27 PM
 
4,633 posts, read 10,531,175 times
Reputation: 10343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Can we try to just agree on the central point of the post? That primitive people were not dying of old age in their 30s. That myth is part of the foundation of the mainstream medical belief that "natural is not better."

It has other foundations as well, such as the ideas that life evolved by chance and DNA is mostly junk. But this post is about the longevity myth.
Why would anyone “just agree” with this nonsense? All you have provided is myths...

For a thread titled “Longevity the facts” I have yet to see you provide anything remotely factual.....
 
Old 07-27-2018, 05:01 PM
 
3,523 posts, read 956,142 times
Reputation: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
If modern medicine does save lives, and not just in emergency medicine, then what is your point? You are setting up straw dogs to knock down that don't exist. Modern medicine is not all powerful, people don't worship modern medicine, everyone is aware there are good and bad doctors, that treatments don't work the same for everyone. If increased longevity is not caused by modern medicine and is not solely caused by infant mortality reduction, and better sanitation, then what does cause it? It has to be pharmaceuticals, and current diagnostic and medical procedures. If people are less healthy, exercise less, eat junk food, live in polluted air, then why are they living longer? You can't have it both ways. Nothing you have said makes any sense to most of the posters here. So who is brainswashed, them or you?
I meant it can save lives in emergency situations. Also when antibiotics are needed. And when surgery is needed.

People do worship modern medicine, because they feel it is keeping them alive, and they would have died before age 40 without it.

Recent medical advances only account for a small increase in longevity.

And quality of life is terrible for many. Just staying alive longer is not what most people really want, if they can't function mentally or physically. Dementia seems so common now, tragically.

Speak for yourself as to whether what I said makes sense or not. You don't understand it, but maybe others do.
 
Old 07-27-2018, 05:03 PM
 
3,523 posts, read 956,142 times
Reputation: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Why would anyone “just agree” with this nonsense? All you have provided is myths...

For a thread titled “Longevity the facts” I have yet to see you provide anything remotely factual.....
So you think primitive people died of old age in their 30s? Because they didn't have your drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top