U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 10:33 PM

865 posts, read 399,375 times

Advertisements

The first sign of bloody diarrhea you should think about getting to an ER. To me it would be alarming, but I've heard a lot of hard drinkers get BD all the time and it doesn't faze them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 10:55 PM

2,276 posts, read 581,238 times
When I had food poisoning many years ago, it was one of the worst experiences of my life. This is going to sound really nasty but it was coming out both ends at the same time. I had to sit in the bathroom with a bucket in front of me. The cramping was unbelievable and I was so cold. It was the middle of the summer and I was under so many blankets and shivering like crazy. It lasted for several days. It got to the point where I was throwing up nothing but bile.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:29 AM

13,009 posts, read 12,440,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
When I had food poisoning many years ago, it was one of the worst experiences of my life. This is going to sound really nasty but it was coming out both ends at the same time. I had to sit in the bathroom with a bucket in front of me. The cramping was unbelievable and I was so cold. It was the middle of the summer and I was under so many blankets and shivering like crazy. It lasted for several days. It got to the point where I was throwing up nothing but bile.
Yeah, it was not THAT bad yesterday. There was no fever, no vomiting (though I did feel pretty nauseous and it sure as heck was coming out the other end). I was just freaked out because of the all-over body aches I was getting - shooting pains in different limbs and a persistent lower back ache. Never experienced anything like that. I felt completely exhausted but the physical pain kept me from sleeping. Advil PM was what got me through.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:45 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,642,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me. Fortunately it only lasted for one night, but overnight I dropped nine pounds from fluid loss. I never though of going to the ER though, because it's a 45 minute ride from my house to the hospital. It would almost have been worse to have been barfing and pooping in the ambulance than in my own bathroom, and I'm sure the EMTs wouldn't have appreciated it either. I was so weak after the episode that I could only drink flat Pepsi for the next couple of days. Hope to never go through it again!

Old 07-27-2018, 07:41 AM

5,117 posts, read 9,413,466 times
I've had food poisoning 3-4 times--never bad enough to go to ER..I just ride it out, stay hydrated (tepid herbal tea seems to soothe my tummy more than anything else), try to eat rice/bananas when I can keep something down, and take pro-biotics when the bout is over...

But with bloody bowel movements and puking/runs that don't end after a few days, I surely would go pronto to Doc or ER...

Old 07-27-2018, 08:00 AM

1,805 posts, read 773,628 times
I wouldn't have went, no need to. Unless you're having bloody stools, passing out from dehydration, extreme fever, etc it's better to just ride it out at home where you're more comfortable. Same applies for a stomach virus.

Sounds like you ate something dodgy or even had a very mild virus. You made the right call.

Keep yourself hydrated and get some rest. They make pedialyte popsicles if you think that's something you could do. Also get some yogurt / good probiotics to help your gut

Old 07-27-2018, 08:07 AM

3,267 posts, read 2,336,935 times
I would not have gone to the ER. When I've had stomach issues, I want to stay home and get through it by myself, not in a public place like a hospital. I don't even want my husband around.

Did you eat something different? Too much fiber or vegetables?

Old 07-27-2018, 08:22 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,295,805 times
Only if you’re having bloody diarrhea or throwing up blood or extremely dehydrated or it isn’t improving after several days, maybe. I’d consider your regular doctor to get meds to help with nausea but definitely not an ER trip. Oh and if you had any signs of appendicitis or kidney stones then I would go too.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:38 AM

13,009 posts, read 12,440,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I would not have gone to the ER. When I've had stomach issues, I want to stay home and get through it by myself, not in a public place like a hospital. I don't even want my husband around.

Did you eat something different? Too much fiber or vegetables?
I took my dad to dinner at his favorite restaurant, where I had meatloaf, roasted broccoli and mashed potatoes with iced tea. However, I stopped at Chik Fil A for a milkshake, and that might have put me over the edge in a way. I felt fine that night, but in the morning I was working for maybe an hour before I as basically back in bed.

I'm kind of a garbage truck when it comes to food, so none of this was unusual. I'm assuming it was the shake that did it, but who knows?

Old 07-27-2018, 10:10 AM

18,795 posts, read 6,138,018 times
You could have been OK without adding that MILK shake to the mix. Overloaded stomach sounds like to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or