U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:04 PM

3,123 posts, read 1,217,954 times

Advertisements

I figure that if I have to make rules or excuses about my drinking, I should probably cut back.

I used to drink a lot in college--like half a bottle of wine or 2-3 cocktails a night-- but I cut back as I matured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 01:23 AM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times
Its our own body to do as we like.....I feel quite proud that I quit and have never smoked either.... but I dont go out socializing at all anymore and if I did it would have made stopping drinking much harder for me as everyone I went out with at one time drank alcohol.. Im being honest about this. but because I was sitting on the computer drinking alone , I thought to myself that this isnt doing me any good. its a crutch and do I really need it... I have a bottle and a half of whisky in the house and a bottle of vodka and was opened last time at Christmas for guests... it will lie there till next Christmas... Actually until this thread I hadnt given it a thought, but Im finished for good, I think it was my teenage granddaughter that shocked me into it as one night she was staying she picked up my glass by mistake thinking it was coke.. and said OH Granny whats in your drink its horrible....I actually felt ashamed... but anyway good luck to anyone who quits or wants to......like doing anything good for yourself it feels in control..Good luck to you all whether you drink or dont..

Old 07-28-2018, 03:26 AM

162 posts, read 83,030 times
Life without alcohol is less pleasurable in some ways, but if you need to quit you need to quit. I stopped 18 years ago and haven't gone back. I don't believe it is possible to "manage" alcohol use or minimalize it if you are a longtime problem drinker. Just suck it up and eliminate the stuff from your life.

You'll have plenty of company and there is much to appreciate in a sober lifestyle, including having control of yourself in all situations and, of course, no hangovers. AA works well for many people, but it's certainly possible to go clean and sober without it. Best of luck and all ...

Old 07-28-2018, 05:26 AM

134 posts, read 168,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
For about 8 years I drank every night until I buzzed semi hard and then finally gave it up. I would make 2-3 strong rum and cokes. Since I literally drank every night, I didn't even know I was getting hangovers and the effects. I also for some reason get really bad hangovers easy. If I drink 1 or 2 drinks I can tell at night or the next morning.

I used to get dry mouth at night, have to chug water at night, have to wake up 3 times to go to the bathroom, would wake up with pressure in my head and feeling groggy, got bloated from the soda and liquids, had more stomach problems, and my skin was dryer. Then I stopped and now I can't believe how much better I feel. All those issue went away! The first week I felt so alert in the morning it was like drinking a pot of coffee, but now it normalized a little more.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
When I was young, yes - I drank a lot from about age 18 - 28 and then when I started having blackouts, it scared me enough to stop. My issue was that I started waking up in the middle of the night after the booze wore off and could not go back to sleep. Drinking like that is not a good fit for anyone at any age, but I'm glad that I stopped doing that to myself before I was 30 years old. I'm 62 now and could not imagine going through all of that again, or ever thinking it was "fun" to get that buzzed almost every night. I guess we all do foolish things in our youth.

I absolutely cannot fathom what it is like for those hard-core alcoholics who drink like that their entire lives. I feel so sorry for them, destroying their bodies and their lives - but they all reach a point where they cannot stop, like any other addiction.

I thank God that my daughter who is 27 never got involved with drugs or alcohol, even in high school. It must be very difficult for a parent to watch their child go down that path.

Ah, but I pontificate. Just want to say 'tis good to live a clean life.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:56 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
sugar balances, including alcohol, are such a major thing. As you age, your body starts talking to you and you listened. Most people don't.
I can't touch anything like Coke except Coke Zero, and I don't even have sugar in the house any more. A friend just quit cold turkey in his mid forties.
Especially in the USA your processed food and canned items are loaded with sugars. I can't remember the last time I opened a can of anything. Time to change.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:56 AM

1,634 posts, read 593,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybe View Post
Reality is for people who can't handle drugs or booze!
LOL.
I think the worst part of your routine was the soda not the booze. Seriously. Soda is very bad for the body and mind!

I drink about half a bottle of red wine a night or 2-3 whiskeys or rums with or without ice or natural juice.

I have checked my kidneys, liver, cholesterol and all markers regularly and I am just fine, thank you.
I wake up just fine, get a lot done during the day, and enjoy my evening drinking. I never drink before 6pm and I never drink more than the above unless I'm partying which is very rare.
I don't like to get "drunk", I just like to "take the edge off".

However, it's not for everyone and some people can't handle alcohol at all. And anyone who feels like quitting alcohol should quit.

For those people I recommend marijuana. Living life without self-medicating with something in this day and age is probably too much stress to bear...
All of my tests were great also. Cholesterol doesn’t have anything to do with alcohol. I’m thinking it would just be your liver, and that would be hurt from more extreme drinking over a long time. It’s all the other problems I described that are outside destroying your organs that won’t show up on tests. Looking back at how hard it was to cut back and how much better I felt when not drinking, I had a problem and a slight addiction. The negatives were more feeling like crap and lower quality of life rather than hurting my long term health.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
For about 8 years I drank every night until I buzzed semi hard and then finally gave it up. I would make 2-3 strong rum and cokes. Since I literally drank every night, I didn't even know I was getting hangovers and the effects. I also for some reason get really bad hangovers easy. If I drink 1 or 2 drinks I can tell at night or the next morning.

I used to get dry mouth at night, have to chug water at night, have to wake up 3 times to go to the bathroom, would wake up with pressure in my head and feeling groggy, got bloated from the soda and liquids, had more stomach problems, and my skin was dryer. Then I stopped and now I can't believe how much better I feel. All those issue went away! The first week I felt so alert in the morning it was like drinking a pot of coffee, but now it normalized a little more.

BTW.you say you had a slight addiction: in my book there is no such thing as a "slight" addiction. You are either addicted or you are not.

I do wonder why this topic or alcohol, addiction, stop or not, seems to creep up about once a month on here? ne else have a similar experience?
good for you. I am surprised at how badly you reacted to only 1 or 2 drinks.That is very unusual, but regardless, as long as you feel better keep it up. Yes, drinking too much can cause all the problems you were having, just not usually on so little alcohol. The dryer skin? that is a new one for me anyway. The rest, are not unusual at all.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-28-2018 at 09:19 AM..

Old 07-28-2018, 10:40 AM

107 posts, read 30,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
You are like an alcoholic trying to keep it together. You figure If You never drink before 6, you're fine...you're fooling yourself.
I figure I'm at worst a "maintenance alcoholic". Been this way for many years, never missed a day's work, never even get bad hangovers, rarely any hangover at all. Truth is many many people drink way more than I do and are doing fine.

Would it be "healthier" to drink less? Probably. Maybe. Even doctors disagree on how much alcohol is too much. Most have told me I am fine and there appears to be no problem.

Seriously and honestly, I doubt I'm at risk of having an alcohol problem this late in the game. If I was going to have a problem with it, I'd have had it years ago.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
well of course you feel better! All that alcohol is very dehydrating. Plus so is the soda.
My doctor told me beer is very hydrating, at least if one doesn't drink too much of it. A beer or two I think he said.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
sugar balances, including alcohol, are such a major thing. As you age, your body starts talking to you and you listened. Most people don't.
I can't touch anything like Coke except Coke Zero, and I don't even have sugar in the house any more. A friend just quit cold turkey in his mid forties.
Especially in the USA your processed food and canned items are loaded with sugars. I can't remember the last time I opened a can of anything. Time to change.
Many say "diet sodas" are just as bad as sugary sodas. Read up on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or