U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2018, 06:26 PM
 
2,093 posts, read 797,805 times
Reputation: 4088

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
For about 8 years I drank every night until I buzzed semi hard and then finally gave it up. I would make 2-3 strong rum and cokes. Since I literally drank every night, I didn't even know I was getting hangovers and the effects. I also for some reason get really bad hangovers easy. If I drink 1 or 2 drinks I can tell at night or the next morning.

I used to get dry mouth at night, have to chug water at night, have to wake up 3 times to go to the bathroom, would wake up with pressure in my head and feeling groggy, got bloated from the soda and liquids, had more stomach problems, and my skin was dryer. Then I stopped and now I can't believe how much better I feel. All those issue went away! The first week I felt so alert in the morning it was like drinking a pot of coffee, but now it normalized a little more.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
The 8 years you were having those problems are classic symptoms of problem drinking aka alcoholism.
I went through the same symptoms when I used and felt the good stuff when I got sober just like you.
The thing is to stay sober. What are you doing now to relax every night instead of using alcohol to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2018, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Riding a rock floating through space
566 posts, read 149,703 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
You are like an alcoholic trying to keep it together. You figure If You never drink before 6, you're fine...you're fooling yourself.
He's drinking a couple glasses of wine a night and he's in good health. What is it with people who have to put labels on others. If you are the sort of person who can't control your liquor consumption to healthy levels and refuse to drink at all, that's great - but don't assume everyone has your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Riding a rock floating through space
566 posts, read 149,703 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Your life, your business. However, have you ever tried to stop cold turkey?

My brother, who passed away 5 years ago, was a "maintenance alcoholic". He, too, never missed a day's work. Once, my SIL asked him if was capable of stopping drinking. He said "yes". For a long time, it appeared that he did stop drinking. He switched to non-alcoholic beer. Then his MIL saw him buying beer and of course, ratted him out to my SIL. SIL confronted my brother and told him, if he wants to drink, then drink. Later on, she was in their basement and discovered a stash of empty beer bottles where he was hiding them when he said he had stopped drinking.

It wasn't just alcohol that he was using to self-medicate. He also used tobacco and pot. Lung cancer is what killed him. He was a depressive, one of the so-called "walking wounded". My SIL had expressed concerns about his depression and had urged him to get help, which he never did. As that old saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"...
This is such a judgmental post it makes me think if I were in your family I'd be drinking too. Why does someone need to be a member of the walking wounded just because they enjoy a drink and a cig occassionally? If he never missed a days work I'm pretty sure he deserved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 07:01 PM
 
1,641 posts, read 599,819 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
So then alcohol had nothing to do with it, he died not from depression or from alcohol but from lung cancer, and that was surely more from cigarettes than from marijuana according to most studies.

If a person is hiding his drinking he's surely drinking more than he should.

Also, not sure about how others feel about it but while I tend to dislike drunks, I also dislike people who never drink nor smoke pot. They tend to be uptight and/or boring imho.

I would never date a woman who didn't drink at all. Nor would I date one who drank a lot.
I agree, but I don’t even think I know anyone who doesn’t drink. The few I’ve met was because their parents were alcoholics. And of course I understand that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 07:08 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,453,647 times
Reputation: 47456
If you can cold turkey you are strong for most it takes more
Itís subtle you start out a cool party guy and one morning you wake up and find a stranger in your house in the bathroom mirror
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 01:38 AM
 
11,529 posts, read 5,523,897 times
Reputation: 9883
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
This is such a judgmental post it makes me think if I were in your family I'd be drinking too. Why does someone need to be a member of the walking wounded just because they enjoy a drink and a cig occassionally? If he never missed a days work I'm pretty sure he deserved it.


It is you who is being judgmental.

You didn't know my brother yet you jump to conclusions. He was depressed and a "walking wounded" depressive. And, yes, he self-medicated. It wasn't only "occasionally" that he had a "drink and a cig". It was every day and in large quantities. We're not talking about having one drink after work.

So...because he had a good work ethic, he deserved to be an alcoholic? That's some twisted thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 04:27 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
14,527 posts, read 11,505,888 times
Reputation: 21014
Drink in Glasgow is big and always has been more with men in the past... booze came first, long before buying a house or the children.. I watched my mother scrimp and scrape with three part times jobs as my stepdad drank most of the money giving her a pittance to run a house on.... and she wasnt alone. it was more of less the done thing here..they worked hard and drank harder... Most families could have had nicer homes to live in, some men , most men preferred to spend it in the pub drinking heavily..... it ruined families but everyone just thought thats what men did back then...... What I never do though is tell others not to take a drink.. I never have.... IM not the type that because Ive stopped altogether that others have to follow.. its up to them as it took me years to stop myself..just wish Id did it years ago... what a waste...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
1,450 posts, read 821,045 times
Reputation: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
But you still take lots of mood-altering drugs, right?
You say that like it's a bad thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 07:47 AM
 
5,447 posts, read 3,407,578 times
Reputation: 20564
One of the possible consequences from chronic alcohol use:

Peripheal Neuropathy caused By drinking for many years

You're all adults and I would never try to convince an adult drinker not to drink. It just doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 08:21 AM
 
2,488 posts, read 1,730,437 times
Reputation: 4256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
For about 8 years I drank every night until I buzzed semi hard and then finally gave it up. I would make 2-3 strong rum and cokes. Since I literally drank every night, I didn't even know I was getting hangovers and the effects. I also for some reason get really bad hangovers easy. If I drink 1 or 2 drinks I can tell at night or the next morning.

I used to get dry mouth at night, have to chug water at night, have to wake up 3 times to go to the bathroom, would wake up with pressure in my head and feeling groggy, got bloated from the soda and liquids, had more stomach problems, and my skin was dryer. Then I stopped and now I can't believe how much better I feel. All those issue went away! The first week I felt so alert in the morning it was like drinking a pot of coffee, but now it normalized a little more.

Anyone else have a similar experience?


Rum & coke would get me sick - even just one. I've been a tippler for 30 years (I call it my "nerve medicine" necessary for that "Type A personality" thing). Rum is equivalent to Boone's Farm (cheap wine) - you (ordinarily) just drink less of it; if you don't limit it, you'll surely get a hangover.


Stick to a good, clear vodka. It should have no flavor (Skye, mid-shelf, is good for this). Mix it with something not very sweet (white g'fruit juice is good; so is tonic). As long as you don't make those drinks too strong, you can drink 'em all day long and not get a hangover. But (in my case) one drink with bottom shelf or bad mid-shelf stuff (Popov or even Schmirnof) and I'll get a hangover. Rum (I think) has way too many congeners in it. (After all, it was developed as a handy source of ethanol [sugar cane squeezins] and was never developed like scotch, for example, to "refine" it.) That's why it gets you sick.


The only people I know who drink rum & coke are 20 year olds (who fully expect to get hungover, no matter what) and people who don't drink liquor much, but with no beer around will drink a rum & coke. Rum & Coke is not an "adult" drink.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 07-29-2018 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top