U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 08:31 AM

2,084 posts, read 793,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I stopped drinking nearly two years ago ... and had been having two drinks of whisky with a soft drink every night for years.. I looked forward to it , never got drunk or had hangovers but have had HBP for thirty odd years and allergies so thought , this isnt doing me any good at all. and has to stop.... I know your not supposed to stop all of a sudden but wean yourself off but I didnt see it as heavy drinking. to me it was only relaxation in the evenings.. now I dont miss it at all , although I admit Im not as gabby in company as I was. maybe thats a good thing for others... I found it easy , some though dont...
I don't know where you heard that stopping all of a sudden is not recommended. Quite the contrary.
If your body has started needing it just to keep from shaking, vomiting, you need to be under 24 hr medical supervision.
It doesn't matter how many drinks you take or how often but it's the detrimental affect it has on your life that is the indicator i.e. losses such as jobs, spouses, children, homes, cars, sleep, employability, money, self-image. Causes high blood pressure, heart arrhythmia, gastrointestinal complaints, severe effects on brain function, et al.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 04:02 PM

527 posts, read 143,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

It is you who is being judgmental.

You didn't know my brother yet you jump to conclusions. He was depressed and a "walking wounded" depressive. And, yes, he self-medicated. It wasn't only "occasionally" that he had a "drink and a cig". It was every day and in large quantities. We're not talking about having one drink after work.

So...because he had a good work ethic, he deserved to be an alcoholic? That's some twisted thinking.
So he had a few drinks after work, what makes you think he would have been just fine without it? For all you know it made life bearable and kept him from going postal. Blaming the alcohol on his depression isn't necessarily the conclusion to be drawn in every situation.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:35 PM

220 posts, read 62,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Rum & coke would get me sick - even just one. I've been a tippler for 30 years (I call it my "nerve medicine" necessary for that "Type A personality" thing). Rum is equivalent to Boone's Farm (cheap wine) - you (ordinarily) just drink less of it; if you don't limit it, you'll surely get a hangover.

Stick to a good, clear vodka. It should have no flavor (Skye, mid-shelf, is good for this). Mix it with something not very sweet (white g'fruit juice is good; so is tonic). As long as you don't make those drinks too strong, you can drink 'em all day long and not get a hangover. But (in my case) one drink with bottom shelf or bad mid-shelf stuff (Popov or even Schmirnof) and I'll get a hangover. Rum (I think) has way too many congeners in it. (After all, it was developed as a handy source of ethanol [sugar cane squeezins] and was never developed like scotch, for example, to "refine" it.) That's why it gets you sick.

The only people I know who drink rum & coke are 20 year olds (who fully expect to get hungover, no matter what) and people who don't drink liquor much, but with no beer around will drink a rum & coke. Rum & Coke is not an "adult" drink.
Plenty of adults drink rum and coke. In fact a friend of mine who is an alcoholic drinks it. It's a very popular drink among all people, not just younger drinkers.

Yes quality liquor is probably better for you than the cheap stuff but it's all alcohol after all...

For what it's worth my doctor told me that drinking whiskey (I assume he meant good scotch whiskey) was the healthiest of the hard alcohols. Said it has something in it to help blood pressure. Further research led me to some sites that confirm this, and some others that say it has an anti-inflammatory in it or something like that. Anti-inflammatory or anti-oxidant. My doctor also confirmed that drinking red wine was probably one of the best of the alcohols IF you are going to drink.

I like the fact that he was willing to say, and I am quoting from memory, "I know doctors shouldn't recommend people drink anything but if you are going to drink, as many people do, I think the best are wine, beer, and whiskey in moderation." He noted also that tequila with lemon was very hard on the stomach and not good if you have any acid reflux.

I have a friend who has high blood pressure and he said his doctor recommends he drink whiskey if he's going to drink. My friend swears it helps him with his blood pressure while other alcohols raise it. I don't know him all that well but he seems to drink throughout the day, a shot here and a shot there. He seems perfectly unhindered by this and seems very clear of mind and shows no signs of being an alcoholic or a drunk.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:58 PM

11,488 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
So he had a few drinks after work, what makes you think he would have been just fine without it? For all you know it made life bearable and kept him from going postal. Blaming the alcohol on his depression isn't necessarily the conclusion to be drawn in every situation.
I don't blame alcohol for his depression. He was a "walking wounded" before he became an alcoholic. Alcohol, tobacco and pot were his way of self-medicating. Instead of doing that, he should have gotten some help yet he never took that step and thus, paid dearly for it.

If it takes getting drunk to "make life bearable", then one has a big problem.

Again, you don't know my brother yet you are quick to jump to conclusions.

You are being awfully defensive when it comes to this topic. Has anyone in your life expressed concerns over how much you are drinking? Is that why this topic seems to strike a nerve with you?

Old 07-29-2018, 06:06 PM

5,119 posts, read 9,413,466 times
Whenever I want to drop a bit of weight, I stop the 1-2 glasses of wine with dinner and I can easily lose 5 lbs. in a couple of weeks. It's the calorie reduction. I do miss my little relaxing buzz, though.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:31 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The 8 years you were having those problems are classic symptoms of problem drinking aka alcoholism.
I went through the same symptoms when I used and felt the good stuff when I got sober just like you.
The thing is to stay sober. What are you doing now to relax every night instead of using alcohol to do it?
He said earlier he is smoking pot.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
:Shrug: Your choice. However, it sounds like you haven't met a large cross section of people. Not all who don't smoke pot or drink are "uptight and/or boring".
I don't do pot and never have but I do love a drink or two, mostly wine each night. That being said, you are so right. There are a lot of non drinkers who are super nice and lots of fun. They are just, for whatever reason not the type who choose to indulge.

TwinBrookNine: I pretty much agree with you; normally light drinkers or kids drink rum and coke. We do have a foster daughter, who is an alcoholic that does, pretty much drink run and coke and she is in her 60s. Other than that most I have known are college kids or almost non drinkers. We have a grand daughter who, while in college drank rum and coke, now in her 30s, married and with 3 little girls is the closest thing in our family to a non drinker. If she drinks anything it will be a rum and coke or a glass of God forbid moscato (spelling) wine.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-30-2018 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 07:50 AM

2,484 posts, read 1,726,689 times
The only thing I use rum for is baking and, on occasion, for spiking my hummingbird feeder, for a little extra entertainment. Hummers quickly become boisterous fearless "alcoholics" (for some reason). But go easy on it - their brains are tiny, and navigation is a very important part of their ability to get around without bumping into things.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:34 PM

220 posts, read 62,715 times
Quote:
The only thing I use rum for is baking and, on occasion, for spiking my hummingbird feeder, for a little extra entertainment. Hummers quickly become boisterous fearless "alcoholics" (for some reason). But go easy on it - their brains are tiny, and navigation is a very important part of their ability to get around without bumping into things.
Are you for real? That's a terrible thing to do. Please do not do that.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:43 PM

1,636 posts, read 593,248 times
Quote:
Hahaha. Thatís halarious. We should hang out sometime. You probably have the most popular feeder in the neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or