Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:46 AM

107 posts, read 67,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
All of my tests were great also. Cholesterol doesn’t have anything to do with alcohol. I’m thinking it would just be your liver, and that would be hurt from more extreme drinking over a long time. It’s all the other problems I described that are outside destroying your organs that won’t show up on tests. Looking back at how hard it was to cut back and how much better I felt when not drinking, I had a problem and a slight addiction. The negatives were more feeling like crap and lower quality of life rather than hurting my long term health.
No, not cholesterol but tryglycerides which are part of the lipid profile. Alcohol increases them.
Soda with sugar and all simple (non-complex) carbs increase them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 10:57 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
I started smoking weed occasionally after I gave up the booze. Only 1 hit though for a small high though. I plan to quit totally on that soon also.
I thought you said you took pills.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:44 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
[quote=johnnybe;52634605]

No, not cholesterol but tryglycerides which are part of the lipid profile. Alcohol increases them.

This is true, OP....

Old 07-28-2018, 12:20 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
"I used to be a heroin addict, now I'm a methadone addict." - kid in Annie Hall

Old 07-28-2018, 01:06 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybe View Post
I figure I'm at worst a "maintenance alcoholic". Been this way for many years, never missed a day's work, never even get bad hangovers, rarely any hangover at all. Truth is many many people drink way more than I do and are doing fine.

Would it be "healthier" to drink less? Probably. Maybe. Even doctors disagree on how much alcohol is too much. Most have told me I am fine and there appears to be no problem.

Seriously and honestly, I doubt I'm at risk of having an alcohol problem this late in the game. If I was going to have a problem with it, I'd have had it years ago.
Have you taken nights off from drinking? If so, how did you feel the next day?

Old 07-28-2018, 01:47 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybe View Post
I figure I'm at worst a "maintenance alcoholic". Been this way for many years, never missed a day's work, never even get bad hangovers, rarely any hangover at all. Truth is many many people drink way more than I do and are doing fine.

Would it be "healthier" to drink less? Probably. Maybe. Even doctors disagree on how much alcohol is too much. Most have told me I am fine and there appears to be no problem.

Seriously and honestly, I doubt I'm at risk of having an alcohol problem this late in the game. If I was going to have a problem with it, I'd have had it years ago.
Your life, your business. However, have you ever tried to stop cold turkey?

My brother, who passed away 5 years ago, was a "maintenance alcoholic". He, too, never missed a day's work. Once, my SIL asked him if was capable of stopping drinking. He said "yes". For a long time, it appeared that he did stop drinking. He switched to non-alcoholic beer. Then his MIL saw him buying beer and of course, ratted him out to my SIL. SIL confronted my brother and told him, if he wants to drink, then drink. Later on, she was in their basement and discovered a stash of empty beer bottles where he was hiding them when he said he had stopped drinking.

It wasn't just alcohol that he was using to self-medicate. He also used tobacco and pot. Lung cancer is what killed him. He was a depressive, one of the so-called "walking wounded". My SIL had expressed concerns about his depression and had urged him to get help, which he never did. As that old saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"...

Old 07-28-2018, 02:53 PM

801 posts, read 452,206 times
Quote:
Have you taken nights off from drinking? If so, how did you feel the next day?
Not sure about him, but when I take nights off from drinking I feel the same the next day as I do when I drink the night before.
I also drink moderately - 2-4 glasses of beer or wine or etc per evening. This does not represent alcoholism in my opinion, I don't care what AA might say.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:57 PM

801 posts, read 452,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Your life, your business. However, have you ever tried to stop cold turkey?

My brother, who passed away 5 years ago, was a "maintenance alcoholic". He, too, never missed a day's work. Once, my SIL asked him if was capable of stopping drinking. He said "yes". For a long time, it appeared that he did stop drinking. He switched to non-alcoholic beer. Then his MIL saw him buying beer and of course, ratted him out to my SIL. SIL confronted my brother and told him, if he wants to drink, then drink. Later on, she was in their basement and discovered a stash of empty beer bottles where he was hiding them when he said he had stopped drinking.

It wasn't just alcohol that he was using to self-medicate. He also used tobacco and pot. Lung cancer is what killed him. He was a depressive, one of the so-called "walking wounded". My SIL had expressed concerns about his depression and had urged him to get help, which he never did. As that old saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"...
So then alcohol had nothing to do with it, he died not from depression or from alcohol but from lung cancer, and that was surely more from cigarettes than from marijuana according to most studies.

If a person is hiding his drinking he's surely drinking more than he should.

Also, not sure about how others feel about it but while I tend to dislike drunks, I also dislike people who never drink nor smoke pot. They tend to be uptight and/or boring imho.

I would never date a woman who didn't drink at all. Nor would I date one who drank a lot.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:23 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I thought you said you took pills.
No. I take an aspirin about 4 times a year!

Old 07-28-2018, 06:18 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
So then alcohol had nothing to do with it, he died not from depression or from alcohol but from lung cancer, and that was surely more from cigarettes than from marijuana according to most studies.

If a person is hiding his drinking he's surely drinking more than he should.

Also, not sure about how others feel about it but while I tend to dislike drunks, I also dislike people who never drink nor smoke pot. They tend to be uptight and/or boring imho.

I would never date a woman who didn't drink at all. Nor would I date one who drank a lot.
:Shrug: Your choice. However, it sounds like you haven't met a large cross section of people. Not all who don't smoke pot or drink are "uptight and/or boring".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness