U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 09:11 AM

445 posts, read 566,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Does the OP participate in any sports? If so then a sports med orthopedist would be a good choice. So many drs cant seem to understand the stress that sports put on certain joints and how the joint responds and how to make it better. And if the patient isnt interested in giving the activity up.
Well, I walk quite a bit for exercise. I also live in a 2 story house (3 including the basement) that I bought 3 years ago. I'm in my 60's, & I knew the stairs might be eventually a problem (all the bedrooms are upstairs). Altho I don't think it's about age, at least not yet. It's occurring to me that there's something about the action of the feet & ankles, going up stairs, that can really stress them. And we know how a joint or muscle that becomes sprained or strained can be aggravated by more & more use.

Some people here mentioned surgery--I hadn't even thought about surgery. There's no way I'd rush into that, unless it gets truly dire. And I wouldn't see a podiatrist for that--I thought they mainly did ingrown toenails & such? If I needed ankle surgery, I'd try to find the best ortho surgeon for that. I live about 60 miles from the Boston area--lots of orthos there, + there are some very good Dr.'s (I hope) here in S. NH.

There's a big hospital & physicians group(s) about 20 miles from me. They have both podiatrists & a lot of Sports Medicine Docs. They also have a "Center for Orthopedics and Movement". I think I need to go to a Sports Medicine Dr., probably get an x-ray or 2, & at least get an opinion/diagnosis. To start. They might recommend--a better ankle brace?--or? I need to start someplace, & depending, maybe get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. Oh, they also have a bunch of PA-C's (?) that people can see for same day appt's.

BTW, thanks for all the advice......
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 10:41 AM

18,769 posts, read 6,129,215 times
OP: A good ankle support would be in order. My ankle has advanced to arthritis and all since hip surgery and knee issues etc...it's all connected in my case. I don't push myself to overdo the walking, it just aggrevates things more..I'm 80.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:49 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
OP, sounds like you have many options for providers and facilities, and you're definitely on the right track.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:52 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,198,298 times
I had my bad right ankle in a hard-cast for 6 weeks, came out like new.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:31 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
After you get your foot checked out by a doctor and follow recommendations, if you're still having trouble, you might look into something like this https://gmb.io/feet/

I have found that western doctors are not so great with musculoskeletal issues and I have often had to address the issues myself after doctor's advice and treatment did not help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or