U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2018, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Macon, Georgia
462 posts, read 182,440 times
Reputation: 287

Advertisements

It's true. That's why discipline myself.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/w...or-health.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2018, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Sector 001
7,129 posts, read 5,947,609 times
Reputation: 8047
Seems to me 20,000 years ago when we were hunting game and in small settlements the mostly likely scenario was that the game was killed during the day, cooked with it being served in the evening, probably with alcohol or a carbohydrate since they had both by 20,000 years ago.. I have a feeling eating in the evening, getting drunk, and passing out to sleep has been going on for a very long time.

To me getting right up and having a huge breakfast while eating nothing before bed just "feels" biologically incorrect. They do call it "rest and digest" for a reason. You'd have to go back to a time before humans left Africa and were subsisting mostly on native fruits to find a time when people nibbled throughout the day.

I'm not saying it's perhaps not optimal to eat early, but a lot of species that are carnivores eat their meal and then get sleepy afterwards. I'd say most of the problems of modern society stem from an excess of calories, not what time they are eaten. It's unlikely our ancestors were 300 lbs. Most likely they all were muscular and lean.

Did I go too far off topic? Anyone have opinions? I like to snack in the evening to a movie and some green, and plan to continue this practice. My last calcium scan was a zero, my BMI is around 22, and I jog/bike/kayak and just did some lifting earlier in the evening after being on a month long cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 05:07 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,112 posts, read 10,153,432 times
Reputation: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Anyone have opinions? I like to snack in the evening to a movie and some green, and plan to continue this practice. My last calcium scan was a zero, my BMI is around 22, and I jog/bike/kayak and just did some lifting earlier in the evening after being on a month long cut.
We are all a bit different. There are some common-sense guidelines, but each individual has to find what works best for himself.

Personally I try not to eat after 5PM, then have breakfast about 4-5 hours after I wake up. So about 14 hour fast every day.

Works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 07:24 AM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,338,584 times
Reputation: 5622
Great article and true for me.

I worked second shift for many years and ate late after work. About 3 years ago I read similar research on circadian cycles and changed the times I ate to twice a day, around 10 and no later than 7. Much healthier and at a lower weight with no other changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Reputation: 38646
Most of us were raised thinking the most important meal of the day was breakfast and most of our parents thought dinner should be eaten between 4 and 5pm. Those were the parents who were working class or who worked on the farms. To this day, we enjoy our big breakfast and on weekends do only eat 2 meals a day, with dinner being somewhere around 6pm. However I look at my kids and realize their eating habits are very different. I con't think it make a heck of a lot of difference when you eat. I do think what you eat and how you prepare it is very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 11:25 AM
 
3,342 posts, read 925,925 times
Reputation: 2571
The idea that breakfast is important got started somehow and became a myth, with no evidence for it. I ignored the myth most of my life because I never get hungry in the morning. Maybe breakfast is good for some, but not for others. I think you should never eat unless you are hungry.

I have also heard that you should eat lots of times throughout the day, but I don't believe that either. That would be so much work, and so inconvenient.

You can have pretty constant energy as long as you don't have a lot of carbohydrates, by eating only twice a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Reputation: 38646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
The idea that breakfast is important got started somehow and became a myth, with no evidence for it. I ignored the myth most of my life because I never get hungry in the morning. Maybe breakfast is good for some, but not for others. I think you should never eat unless you are hungry.

I have also heard that you should eat lots of times throughout the day, but I don't believe that either. That would be so much work, and so inconvenient.

You can have pretty constant energy as long as you don't have a lot of carbohydrates, by eating only twice a day.
You are pretty much on the right track I think. The secret like with most things is: moderation. What works for one may not for another. We could probably poll 100 people and find 10 different ways people eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 02:11 PM
 
3,342 posts, read 925,925 times
Reputation: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are pretty much on the right track I think. The secret like with most things is: moderation. What works for one may not for another. We could probably poll 100 people and find 10 different ways people eat.
That's true, there are people who like to "graze" all day. I can't imagine doing all the work to make sure I had a place to refrigerate the food I was constantly grazing on. I just like to forget all about food until the next time I get hungry, hours later.

I think their goal is to have constant level energy. But, like I said, you can get that by avoiding a lot of carbohydrates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 02:44 PM
 
3,032 posts, read 1,211,010 times
Reputation: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
That's true, there are people who like to "graze" all day. I can't imagine doing all the work to make sure I had a place to refrigerate the food I was constantly grazing on. I just like to forget all about food until the next time I get hungry, hours later.

I think their goal is to have constant level energy. But, like I said, you can get that by avoiding a lot of carbohydrates.
My goal is not to get migraines. I really have no problems with energy, but if I donít eat for too long, then I usually do get some sort of migraine that is hard to get rid of. I am not a person who can do a long-term fast. I really need to eat about 12 hours maximum between meals and have 3 meals a day and sometimes a snack or even two if I am more active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 02:53 PM
 
20,298 posts, read 15,642,764 times
Reputation: 7408
As it turns out, the article basically describes the way I eat. I have a large breakfast shortly after getting up and then have my second, and last, meal of the day sometime during mid afternoon. I have a glass or two of low fat chocolate milk shortly before going to bed. It works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top