U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:22 PM

18,846 posts, read 6,160,004 times

Advertisements

I had been hearing the older one gets and does general anesthesia, the higher for dementia advancement.

https://www.alzheimersreadingroom.co...-dementia.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 03:51 AM

513 posts, read 132,702 times
True..my friend ( now 72) had knee replacement surgery two years ago. Her mental capacity has tanked. Very hearbreaking to see her in such a state. She is NOT the same, vital person she was prior to the surgery.

As an anesthesiologist friend of mine said.....what is the best way to compromise health in seniors...surgery.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
True..my friend ( now 72) had knee replacement surgery two years ago. Her mental capacity has tanked. Very hearbreaking to see her in such a state. She is NOT the same, vital person she was prior to the surgery.

As an anesthesiologist friend of mine said.....what is the best way to compromise health in seniors...surgery.
Yikes, I had a hip replacement at 72 and came out of it ok in my mind, rest of body not so much. I live with a mess of a knee from this surgery and doing ALL to NOT do more surgery. I do take powerful antioxidants so I'm sure they help all circulation issues, brain to toes.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 AM

Likely does not happen every time but I am devastated at her decline over the last couple of years.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:24 PM

2,687 posts, read 965,584 times
My stepfather had his first-ever surgery in his late 80s for a hernia. A great learning experience for him, but also no ill effects of the type you're worrying about. I think your overall health going in dictates a lot. Good circulation, lung function, and blood oxygen levels help. I know you mentioned fluid on the knee and I'm not sure you need a general anesthesia for that, so find out all the details before you worry yourself.

STLgaltoo - so sorry about your friend. Very young for such complications.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
My stepfather had his first-ever surgery in his late 80s for a hernia. A great learning experience for him, but also no ill effects of the type you're worrying about. I think your overall health going in dictates a lot. Good circulation, lung function, and blood oxygen levels help. I know you mentioned fluid on the knee and I'm not sure you need a general anesthesia for that, so find out all the details before you worry yourself.

First how great his FIRST ever surgery in late 80's. I've had 2 and I'm 80 and hope no more. A friend had a second hip replacement at 90 but came out with mind fine. She takes the same antioxidant I take and less years but does take it faithfully for about 8 yrs or so. She's into a lot of supplements and works to avoid pharma.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:58 PM

4,173 posts, read 1,552,742 times
Quote:

Agree. It's not a given, it's a risk, increasing with older age. There could certainly be underlying sub-clinical problems present in a patient that general anesthesia unfortunately brought to the forefront. People certainly are being made more aware of it which is a good thing.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Thank you..she eats healthly, stayed trim etc...or used to. Now she snacks like crazy and repeats herself. She KNOWS that things are not right. She quit driving a years or so ago because she got lost in her own neighborhood. Her healthy 80year old husband has become her caretaker....makes me sick.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:22 PM

13,379 posts, read 7,135,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
First how great his FIRST ever surgery in late 80's. I've had 2 and I'm 80 and hope no more. A friend had a second hip replacement at 90 but came out with mind fine. She takes the same antioxidant I take and less years but does take it faithfully for about 8 yrs or so. She's into a lot of supplements and works to avoid pharma.
That no doubt explains her successful surgery! Not a great surgeon / anesthesiologist? Those would be the most proximal causes but what do I know.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That no doubt explains her successful surgery! Not a great surgeon / anesthesiologist? Those would be the most proximal causes but what do I know.
What kind of comment is that? My surgeon came highly recommended and I had major anesthesia. What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness