U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 12:42 PM

69,256 posts, read 79,427,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Does anyone get grossed out when people let their dog lick their face or even tongue kiss their dogs? Just wondering.
As long as they are not licking my face I couldn't care less

Old 08-03-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm 42. This is the first case I've heard of regarding a dog's lick causing multiple amputations. You're more likely to win the lottery than end up in this situation, I'm thinking.
of course you are right. This is a horrible and sad story and because it is so rare it hit the papers all over the country.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
From live science and the CDC:
These bacteria are found in the mouths of cats and dogs, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Up to 74 percent of dogs and 57 percent of cats have Capnocytophaga, but the bacteria don't cause illness in dogs and cats, the CDC says.

In humans, however, it's a different story. In very rare cases, the bacteria can spread to humans through bites, scratches or close contact with cats and dogs. The people most at risk for this infection are those with weakened immune systems, according to the CDC. (It's unclear if Manteufel had a weakened immune system).

If a person becomes infected with Capnocytophaga, the bacteria can spread to the bloodstream and cause infections in various parts of the body, including a blood infection known as sepsis. Sepsis occurs when the immune system responds overwhelmingly to an infection, triggering body-wide inflammation and, potentially, organ failure.

Most people who get sick with the bacteria typically start experiencing symptoms within three to five days of becoming infected, but symptoms may occur anywhere from one to 14 days after infection, according to the CDC. Symptoms include blisters, redness, swelling, pus or pain around the animal bite location (if a bite was involved), fever, diarrhea, headache, vomiting and muscle or joint pain.

As in Manteufel's case, the infection can sometimes lead to gangrene, or tissue death, and require amputations to save the rest of the body.

first of all would you re-read what you just entered? the words to pay attention to pay attention to: are "up to" I know a little about what I am talking about: my husband spent 2 days in ICU plus more time in the hospital less than a year ago because of a cat bite that did lead to the infection. Unfortunately the cat had to be put down. We felt so sorry for the owners of the poor kitty but we all knew it was best. The owner had been bitten badly by the same cat about a year before.

We were told it is a very few cats and dogs that have the bacteria in their systems and very seldom does it result in what we went through. So, don't think you have to inform me as to what can happen. We went through HELL!!!

Old 08-03-2018, 01:00 PM

3,425 posts, read 2,121,646 times
Cat bites are more likely to get infected than dog bites. I've been bitten by both (thankfully not badly) and the cat bite was what got infected. I am way more cautious around cats than I am around dogs.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:32 PM

1,816 posts, read 318,385 times
I think this is more embarrassing than being chewed out by a mother-in-law.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 PM

3,975 posts, read 2,963,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Cat bites are more likely to get infected than dog bites. I've been bitten by both (thankfully not badly) and the cat bite was what got infected. I am way more cautious around cats than I am around dogs.
Yup. Cat mouths have a specific bacteria (can't recall the name) that thrives in puncture wounds. That, in combination with the shape of their canines, makes for a dangerous recipe. It doesn't help that cat bites tend to be on the hands, either.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:25 PM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
^^^^ This. There has to be a contributing factor. People get licked by dogs all the time and are fine.
I think its gotta be like someone that had started a fire from static electricity from dragging their feet on the carpet.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:16 PM

17,196 posts, read 14,805,597 times
I don't think they can say for sure it was from the dog. Sepsis is much more common than it used to be. It is also highly unusual to lose a limb from sepsis. I work in skilled rehab, and we get many patients who get sepsis while they're in the hospital (hospitals are actually one of the most common places to get sepsis), Having a compromised immune system is also a common denominator for those who get it. But in 20 years of this work, with probably hundreds of people with sepsis, never once have I seen anyone have to get anything amputated because of it.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:17 PM

855 posts, read 173,672 times
So now on top of rabies have to worry about some other weird bacteria????

Old 08-03-2018, 04:27 PM

3,975 posts, read 2,963,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
So now on top of rabies have to worry about some other weird bacteria????
Are you immunocompromised with exposed open wounds? If not, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or