U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:42 PM

349 posts, read 217,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Are you immunocompromised with exposed open wounds? If not, no.
Well, if the dog bites you, PRESTO! Open wounds and punctures. Really, I'm one of those who thinks there's more detail to the story.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 PM

4,631 posts, read 10,518,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think they can say for sure it was from the dog. Sepsis is much more common than it used to be. It is also highly unusual to lose a limb from sepsis. I work in skilled rehab, and we get many patients who get sepsis while they're in the hospital (hospitals are actually one of the most common places to get sepsis), Having a compromised immune system is also a common denominator for those who get it. But in 20 years of this work, with probably hundreds of people with sepsis, never once have I seen anyone have to get anything amputated because of it.
1. They identified the bacteria as Capnocytophaga canimorsus, about the only way he could have contracted sepsis from this particular bacteria would be from a dog..

I think it is pretty conclusive where the bacteria came from

2. Sepsis is one of the most common causes for amputation, around 10% of all amputations are due to sepsis.
It is not highly unusual to lose a limb ( or multiple limbs ) from sepsis...

I have seen dozens in my years, not sure how you could have NOT seen any in 20 years....most likely you have and don't know it.

One of the first surgeries I scrubbed in on as a student was a young woman who had become septic resulting in gangrene to all her fingers and toes....we had to amputate all of the toes and both hands....

Old 08-03-2018, 07:40 PM

11,714 posts, read 2,097,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There definitely has to be more going on, and either more details should have been given, or if details are yet unknown, the story should not be plastered all over the news. 99.99% of people will not get sepsis if a dog licks them. I'm sorry for this man, but the way people (especially parents) are these days, they will hear a fear-mongering story like this, panic, and turn their dogs into shelters en masse.

Unfortunately, this is indeed likely. People are morons.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:19 AM

1,328 posts, read 704,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Why would you itch unless you don't provide flea preventative for your pet? For those of us who keep our pets clean, pest-free and healthy, there is no reason they can't share our bed, if we choose to let them.

Of course, if you don't bathe and brush your animal, let them suffer from fleas and ticks, and otherwise don't care properly for them, you probably shouldn't have an animal companion, much less let them share your bed.

Damn, i just repped you on a previous post...

But this^^^

Old 08-04-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
You dont know much about allergies do you?
I do...

Most allergists will tell you that pets should not share your bed. Doesnt matter how clean, how deodorized, how much flea and tick preventive. All of those can cause allergies in the humans around the animals too.
Really? I do rescue and have cats, dogs, birds, etc,. Link to your assumption?

Old 08-04-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Why would you itch unless you don't provide flea preventative for your pet? For those of us who keep our pets clean, pest-free and healthy, there is no reason they can't share our bed, if we choose to let them.

Of course, if you don't bathe and brush your animal, let them suffer from fleas and ticks, and otherwise don't care properly for them, you probably shouldn't have an animal companion, much less let them share your bed.

Wont let me rep you again!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
That's just funny.

I lol'd too!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
So now on top of rabies have to worry about some other weird bacteria????
You can get it from the airport, a fast food restaurant, anywhere....

Old 08-04-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. They identified the bacteria as Capnocytophaga canimorsus, about the only way he could have contracted sepsis from this particular bacteria would be from a dog..

I think it is pretty conclusive where the bacteria came from

2. Sepsis is one of the most common causes for amputation, around 10% of all amputations are due to sepsis.
It is not highly unusual to lose a limb ( or multiple limbs ) from sepsis...

I have seen dozens in my years, not sure how you could have NOT seen any in 20 years....most likely you have and don't know it.

One of the first surgeries I scrubbed in on as a student was a young woman who had become septic resulting in gangrene to all her fingers and toes....we had to amputate all of the toes and both hands....

Reliable link?

Old 08-04-2018, 06:37 AM

577 posts, read 142,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Really? I do rescue and have cats, dogs, birds, etc,. Link to your assumption?
If you know so much, you would know that allergies and pets can go together. Im not doing your research for you. Look it up. Easy to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or