Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 02:48 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

If the risk was that high most of us wouldn't have made it out of childhood. The world's a dirty dangerous place. Better get over it.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:11 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I suspect the man had a compromised immune system, poor guy. Probably never even realized that he was doing something dangerous for himself.
Poor guy is right, I read that he was a dog lover. I'm a dog lover too. Just really bad luck on his part.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:11 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I'm saying I don't want poop germs on baby's face and Parnassia's saying "get over it?"

Guess it takes all kinds.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:15 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm saying I don't want poop germs on baby's face and Parnassia's saying "get over it?"

Guess it takes all kinds.
If it was my baby, I wouldn't get over it. I would be very protective. Just saying, why tempt fate?

Old 08-02-2018, 03:30 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is the European journal. From what we were told when hubby ended up in the hospital the part about bacteria is correct but the % is way over the top. I don't think 74% have this.
From live science and the CDC:
These bacteria are found in the mouths of cats and dogs, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Up to 74 percent of dogs and 57 percent of cats have Capnocytophaga, but the bacteria don't cause illness in dogs and cats, the CDC says.

In humans, however, it's a different story. In very rare cases, the bacteria can spread to humans through bites, scratches or close contact with cats and dogs. The people most at risk for this infection are those with weakened immune systems, according to the CDC. (It's unclear if Manteufel had a weakened immune system).

If a person becomes infected with Capnocytophaga, the bacteria can spread to the bloodstream and cause infections in various parts of the body, including a blood infection known as sepsis. Sepsis occurs when the immune system responds overwhelmingly to an infection, triggering body-wide inflammation and, potentially, organ failure.

Most people who get sick with the bacteria typically start experiencing symptoms within three to five days of becoming infected, but symptoms may occur anywhere from one to 14 days after infection, according to the CDC. Symptoms include blisters, redness, swelling, pus or pain around the animal bite location (if a bite was involved), fever, diarrhea, headache, vomiting and muscle or joint pain.

As in Manteufel's case, the infection can sometimes lead to gangrene, or tissue death, and require amputations to save the rest of the body.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:48 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
As far as "poopy" germs go, better keep your baby off of grocery carts and playground equipment too. E-coli is everywhere. Better teach your baby to never touch its face, good luck with that.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/e-coli-...t-poopy-germs/

Quote:
Can grocery shopping make you sick? New research shows that almost three out of four shopping cart handles contain traces of fecal bacteria - including some that can cause serious illness.
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/st...3565507&page=1

Quote:
"All representatives had evidence of fecal flora," he said.

That means human feces was present everywhere and where there is feces, a chance of illness exists.

Salmonella, shigella, hepatitis A and a norovirus also were found in some of the samples.

Thirty samples tested contained E.coli. In fact, 11 of Chicago's 15 samples came back with bacteria.

And children can ingest all this bacteria if they put their hands in their mouths.
That said, I am willing to bet the man in the story had his immune system compromised in some way.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:34 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I did read about it and there has to be more to the story. An open wound, compromised immune system, something. How many people get licked by their dog and don't get sick?
I think this combined with the nonviolent nature of the encounter (lick vs. being bitten) will make recovering any damages quite difficult as it should be for this particular case.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:34 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I did read about it and there has to be more to the story. An open wound, compromised immune system, something. How many people get licked by their dog and don't get sick?
Exactly. People don't get blood poisoning from being licked by any dog unless they have at least two preexisting medical problems:

1. an open wound that allows the bacteria to enter the skin.

2. a compromised immune system that allows a normally harmless bacterium to cause life threatening illness.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:08 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think this combined with the nonviolent nature of the encounter (lick vs. being bitten) will make recovering any damages quite difficult as it should be for this particular case.
Who would he collect from, anyway? The story said it was believed to be his own dog.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:16 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Who would he collect from, anyway? The story said it was believed to be his own dog.
Ins co probably wants to take the dog’s biscuits away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness