Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 01:47 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
74% of dogs in the country need to be euthanized?

It would be more practical to say that people with severe immune system deficiencies should be very careful around dogs. Everyone else doesn't need to worry about it.
this! ^^^^^

Old 08-03-2018, 08:51 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
There definitely has to be more going on, and either more details should have been given, or if details are yet unknown, the story should not be plastered all over the news. 99.99% of people will not get sepsis if a dog licks them. I'm sorry for this man, but the way people (especially parents) are these days, they will hear a fear-mongering story like this, panic, and turn their dogs into shelters en masse.
Agree - irresponsible reporting. Give the whole story or the nervous nellies will start getting rid of their dogs.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:55 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It doesn't gross me out but I don't want it for me. Nor animals sleeping all over me and I know that is a big one for owners. Makes me cringe. Starting to itch just thinking about that.
Why would you itch unless you don't provide flea preventative for your pet? For those of us who keep our pets clean, pest-free and healthy, there is no reason they can't share our bed, if we choose to let them.

Of course, if you don't bathe and brush your animal, let them suffer from fleas and ticks, and otherwise don't care properly for them, you probably shouldn't have an animal companion, much less let them share your bed.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:31 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Why would you itch unless you don't provide flea preventative for your pet? For those of us who keep our pets clean, pest-free and healthy, there is no reason they can't share our bed, if we choose to let them.

Of course, if you don't bathe and brush your animal, let them suffer from fleas and ticks, and otherwise don't care properly for them, you probably shouldn't have an animal companion, much less let them share your bed.
You dont know much about allergies do you? Most allergists will tell you that pets should not share your bed. Doesnt matter how clean, how deodorized, how much flea and tick preventive. All of those can cause allergies in the humans around the animals too.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:38 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
You dont know much about allergies do you? Most allergists will tell you that pets should not share your bed. Doesnt matter how clean, how deodorized, how much flea and tick preventive. All of those can cause allergies in the humans around the animals too.
So, some doctors and scientists say that having pets in the home decreases the risk of allergies. Apparently, others say it raises the risk of allergies. So which is it?

My anecdotal evidence is that my husband and I were both raised with pets in the home, and we raised our three children with pets (cats and a dog) in the home. The cats sleep on any bed they feel like. None of us has the slightest trace of any kind of allergy.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
So, some doctors and scientists say that having pets in the home decreases the risk of allergies. Apparently, others say it raises the risk of allergies. So which is it?

My anecdotal evidence is that my husband and I were both raised with pets in the home, and we raised our three children with pets (cats and a dog) in the home. The cats sleep on any bed they feel like. None of us has the slightest trace of any kind of allergy.
This is my experience as well. I myself have no allergies or other problems with pets but I know people that do. It's the dander that causes problems.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:55 AM

723 posts, read 570,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think this combined with the nonviolent nature of the encounter (lick vs. being bitten) will make recovering any damages quite difficult as it should be for this particular case.
Another article I read also stated that: (1) the man had been in contact with a number of different dogs in the days preceding his infection, and (2) a test for the bacteria would be inconclusive because the bacteria could be present in the dog's mouth one day and not the next.

Not lawsuit material. :-)

Old 08-03-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Was the dog put down? hate to say it but if the animal can spread this kind of infection he needs to be euthanized.
You can't be serious.

Of course the dog wasn't put down.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:00 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Sad, must have a serious problem with his immune-system.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I am going out on a limb and will say that guy has a bone to pick with his dog.
That's just funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness