Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 12:01 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
While you're doing your investigation, look into gut health. I had a naturopathic doctor tell me that gut health can affect all kinds of things (including balance - don't recall specifics).

Or just ask some homeless dude on the street. Honestly, the things some people will believe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
I'm finally seeing a neurologist who is doing mutliple tests: ENG, EMG and an MRI. But he seems to think I have neuropathy in my feet (doubt it's from pre-diabetes).

I don't have any pain at all, but my balance is terrible! And that's what I'm trying to get fixed.

I'm slim, workout, eat well and so forth. Oh, and I'm 54.

Any suggestions are very, very appreciated!

Alley

What do you mean he "is doing" multiple tests? Are they in progress or are they complete? I've never heard of painless neuropathy. The ENG and EMG should tell you whether you have neuropathy or not, and without pain or numbness I'm guessing you don't.

Incidentally I'm in the same boat. Similar age (within a few years). A few years ago my balance started gradually getting worse. I never flat out fell, but I stumbled and tripped and almost fell even in daylight. I used to be able to turn the lights out, walk through the living room and up the stairs in the dark. Not anymore.

They did ENG and they found nothing, went to ear doctor and they found nothing, and said there's nothing left to try but the neurologist. I decided I really don't want to know if I have a brain tumor or Parkinson's and I didn't think I did, so I never pursued it. Instead I started Tai Chi, and after several months of that my balance improved quite a bit. I've been doing it for about a year now and rarely have balance troubles in the light, though I am still a bit dodgy in the dark. Tai Chi has been studied clinically and shown to improve balance, so its not just me.

I started out using this guys very simple, modernized exercises,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNtWqDxwwMg&t=38s

and while I still do those when I'm pressed for time I've progressed on to more traditional, detailed instructionals though I'm still very much a beginner.

It really helps, whether there is an underlying medical condition or not. I also got some exercises from a physical therapist though I rarely do those (I forget, and I enjoy Tai Chi)

Old 08-03-2018, 12:50 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Or just ask some homeless dude on the street. Honestly, the things some people will believe...
It's true so much of our health begins in the gut...not a joke.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's true so much of our health begins in the gut...not a joke.

naturopaths are the joke..but not a very funny one.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
oh good grief, if only more used them so many would be tons healthier.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
I believe the OP meant neuropathy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I believe the OP meant neuropathy.

I was responding to a comment on naturopaths.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:51 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
B12 deficiency is common and and can cause neuropathy. A simple thing but sometimes oddly overlooked.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:56 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I have nerve-damage all over my body, I have a genetic form of peripheral-neuropathy. I would estimate that I am at the bottom 5-percentile in my demographic when it comes to balance, coordination, timing and athleticism. Nothing I can really do about it.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have nerve-damage all over my body, I have a genetic form of peripheral-neuropathy. I would estimate that I am at the bottom 5-percentile in my demographic when it comes to balance, coordination, timing and athleticism. Nothing I can really do about it.
Do you know WHY. I never heard the words nerve damage until maybe 20 yrs ago. My folks never mentioned it. Nor my family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness