U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 AM

13,248 posts, read 10,641,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I would hope that they are weighing the benefits against the risks...if your condition is bad enough then accepting some risk may be acceptable. Also don't believe that just because a side effect is listed that it is inevitable or even common...and that it is permanent. Some of the side effects themselves are not only rare but very minor. And many times just stopping the drug will alleviate the side effect.

Here are the official percentages - the language is very clear:
  • Very common affects more than 1 in 10 people – ie the risk is 10% or higher
  • Common affects between 1 in 100 and 1 in 10 people – ie risk is 1% to 10%
  • Uncommon affects between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 100 people – ie risk is 0.1% to 1%
  • Rare affects between 1 in 10,000 and 1 in 1,000 people – ie risk is 0.01% to 0.1%
  • Very rare affects less than 1 in 10,000 people – ie risk is less than 0.01% (This includes isolated reports, or where the absolute risk is not known or can’t be quantified. For example, if identified through post-marketing safety surveillance and the frequency cannot be estimated from the available data).

I am not really arguing about the side effects and the percentage that will experience those side effects. I am arguing over who is prescribing these medications. The companies are marketing directly to the people or patients. It works or they would not be spending the money. We are not the best doctors, we do not know how these drugs will interact with other medications, we do not know if (because of our condition) the side effects will be greater or less; that is what our doctors (that write the prescriptions) are supposed to do. It is even easier for them today because our whole case file and list of medications is right on their computers in front of them.

So why are the doctors listening to their patients? As soon as the pharmaceutical companies started advertising on TV their sales went up. There should be no reason to advertise and our doctors should be kept up to date on the best medications to treat their patients. That is how it should work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 11:18 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,228,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am not really arguing about the side effects and the percentage that will experience those side effects. I am arguing over who is prescribing these medications. The companies are marketing directly to the people or patients. It works or they would not be spending the money. We are not the best doctors, we do not know how these drugs will interact with other medications, we do not know if (because of our condition) the side effects will be greater or less; that is what our doctors (that write the prescriptions) are supposed to do. It is even easier for them today because our whole case file and list of medications is right on their computers in front of them.

So why are the doctors listening to their patients? As soon as the pharmaceutical companies started advertising on TV their sales went up. There should be no reason to advertise and our doctors should be kept up to date on the best medications to treat their patients. That is how it should work.
What does this have to do with the OP? I don’t see ads for lorazepam or Xanax on TV right now.

I don’t disagree that the ads really need to go. I know half of the time you might not even know what the drug actually does or is for, and they are telling you to ask your doctor about drug X; however, I don’t think that has anything to do with people becoming addicted to benzodiazepines, which have been out for 35+ years or more at this point. Most of the ads are for newer drugs that still have the original brand name protection and are not available in generic. They don’t say “Ask your doctor about alprazolam, an anti-anxiety medication that came out in 1981” because everyone already knows about Xanax.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
What does this have to do with the OP? I don’t see ads for lorazepam or Xanax on TV right now.

I don’t disagree that the ads really need to go. I know half of the time you might not even know what the drug actually does or is for, and they are telling you to ask your doctor about drug X; however, I don’t think that has anything to do with people becoming addicted to benzodiazepines, which have been out for 35+ years or more at this point. Most of the ads are for newer drugs that still have the original brand name protection and are not available in generic. They don’t say “Ask your doctor about alprazolam, an anti-anxiety medication that came out in 1981” because everyone already knows about Xanax.

You are right! It is one of my pet peeves.

There are still advertisements for the newer medications:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGymr78FtbU

Or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR8rBEFulw4

Old 08-05-2018, 01:15 PM

5,202 posts, read 3,024,236 times
Bottom line in my book is that I am responsible for what I put in my mouth and for securing the best, most knowledgeable medical care I can find and afford. Too many people blindly trust the most precious thing they have - their health, to others.

I think everyone should be taught this. With all the information available to us today on the internet it makes it easier than ever.

Your health care provider is your employee. Ask questions. Ask about alternatives. Seek second opinions. Be proactive in your own health care.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:18 PM

6,138 posts, read 3,342,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
"Chemical imbalance" is a speculative theory of mental illness, but you can prove that to yourself by some internet research. Correlation is not causation. The chemical imbalance myth is the foundation upon which the other statements you dispute are based, so spend some time on that one first and it will help shed light on the others.
Actually "chemical imbalance" has been identified as a cause of psychological problems through scientific research. Science deniers, most with no medical training whatsoever, have taken up a contrary viewpoint in the past decade or so but do so without any empirical data that negates real science. You may choose to base your opinion on those who feel the need to blame "organized medicine" and the pharmaceutical industry for everything you see as evil but that is far from reaching the level of proof. To couch their (and your) opinions as fact is ridiculous.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:59 PM

2,768 posts, read 2,319,843 times
I take a snri the generic form of cymbalta. Truly, it helps my quality of life.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I take a snri the generic form of cymbalta. Truly, it helps my quality of life.

If there is a medication that helps you we are not going to tell you not to take that medication. I am simply arguing that I feel the doctors should recommend and then prescribe(not your TV set).

Most of us are only asking that patients read and understand the drugs they are taking. I am glad that you found help!

Old 08-05-2018, 04:35 PM

4,305 posts, read 1,603,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Bottom line in my book is that I am responsible for what I put in my mouth and for securing the best, most knowledgeable medical care I can find and afford. Too many people blindly trust the most precious thing they have - their health, to others.

I think everyone should be taught this. With all the information available to us today on the internet it makes it easier than ever.

Your health care provider is your employee. Ask questions. Ask about alternatives. Seek second opinions. Be proactive in your own health care.
The downside to this of course is that tv viewers are less likely to pay attention to drug and supplement ads. Heaven forbid they actually IGNORE ads for products they don't need, for health problems they don't have, or assume they must prevent just so they can brag about surviving to reach 100.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Status: "Happy Birthday to all November babies." (set 3 days ago)

856 posts, read 468,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Or, you know, she could just ASK her doctor or pharmacist about the medications before she ever pays for them or agrees to take them. Wouldn’t that be smarter than reading a book and throwing medicines away?
I agree Ramen. I have actually been on Cymbalta for nerve pain (Mild Neuropathy) and depression. I have not had any side effects.

I also have been on a low dose of Fentanyl Transdermal patch for FLAMING red hot pain in lower limbs due to RSD. Been on Fentanyl since 2004-2005 can't recall the exact date but no problem.

When we are chronically ill/pain we suffer from depression. I've been through a lot unfortunately. I handle life today - I think stress and past surgeries caused much of my problems. I took care of both my parents when they both were sick...my mother had both legs amputated and died at 66. Dad died 5 months later from Dementia/Diabetes. My grandson just passed away March 28, 2018 from Cerebral Palsy. He was 23. Very stressful and now I am there for my daughter and her family helping them cope with the loss.

Sometimes certain drugs do help. I have a WONDERFUL team of doctors by the way and grateful. I love how people are so good at being judgmental about medication. Sometimes it helps! Thank God ~

Old 08-06-2018, 01:57 AM

21,579 posts, read 26,233,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The ads tell people to "Ask your doctor if "x" is right for you."

The ads suggest problems that don't even exist (new ad for Meningitis B, which says it can cause death) - the ad is targeted to parents of kids who are going off to college. It is very clever because it induces guilt and worry.

If doctors had backbones, they would have stopped this kind of advertising years ago.

"In 2013, Emily Stillman, then a 19-year-old student at Kalamazoo College in Michigan, called home complaining about a headache. By the next day, she was dead."

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/coll...accine-n793431
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness