Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:05 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,613,410 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/anti...sis-in-us.html

Big Pharma created a marketing campaign that said "chemical imbalances" in the brain exist which need adjustment. That turned out to be untrue (plenty of research online). Doctors bought the bait of the cute pharmaceutical reps in their short skirts and then sold the drugs to their unsuspecting patients.

In the meantime, there are "Black Box Warnings" on many of these drugs, yet many patients still swear by them - citing that they feel better on the drugs (placebo effect?).

Many people have died from ODing on these drugs, or committing suicide based on the effects the drugs have caused.

Please inform yourselves of the dangers of these drugs, which are now reported to be "more deadly than opioids."

Pat yourself on the back if you were prescribed these drugs, but researched and decided not to take them.

Edited to add: The article mainly talks about benzos and even suggests that SSRI's could be a better solution (and those drugs also have Black Box Warnings).

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 08-03-2018 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 09:11 PM

48,413 posts, read 34,586,645 times
Perhaps people should try meditation and exercise before going to the doctor demanding answers.

I understand that anxiety can be crippling for some, and understand the need for Rx in those cases, but I also think a lot people want pills and not take responsibility and take the effort to try and deal with things themselves.

I would take the patients to task before the pharmaceutical industry.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Perhaps people should try meditation and exercise before going to the doctor demanding answers.

I understand that anxiety can be crippling for some, and understand the need for Rx in those cases, but I also think a lot people want pills and not take responsibility and take the effort to try and deal with things themselves.

The pharmaceutical industry is taking advantage of uninformed doctors and patients - they prey on them.

I don't know what to say about the patients. A lot of people have little common sense and have some kind of "Daddy" complex that they project onto doctors. And you are right: Many of them are lazy and expect a pill to "fix" everything. It defies logic, but there you have it.

There are many natural remedies for stress, anxiety, and depression. Vitamins can help a lot (B's & Magnesium), as well as eating healthy, exercise, EFT, aromatherapy, etc., etc. - Taking inventory of one's life and seeing what isn't working is a great first step.

Edited to add: Meditation is sooooo, so helpful!

Old 08-03-2018, 09:21 PM

8,192 posts, read 3,393,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

It is not fair to blame patients. Most of them are not educated about health, and simply trust their doctors. Doctors are supposed to be the experts, so it's natural for patients to trust them, and to believe that pills are the solution for anxiety.

By the way, I have heard that anxiety drugs can cause horrendous anxiety when you stop taking them. So you pay later for feeling better now.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It is not fair to blame patients. Most of them are not educated about health, and simply trust their doctors. Doctors are supposed to be the experts, so it's natural for patients to trust them, and to believe that pills are the solution for anxiety.

By the way, I have heard that anxiety drugs can cause horrendous anxiety when you stop taking them. So you pay later for feeling better now.
It's "not fair" to blame patients? Talk about relegating adults to child status.

Every person is responsible for their own health.

If anyone is paying attention, they will realize that doctors are not gods - they are fallible human beings. I have heard that it has recently been mandated by Medicare that doctors are to spend no more than 7 1/2 minutes with patients now (down from 10 minutes). Do you think this is adequate?

People have to advocate for themselves and for their family members - not abdicate their responsibility to "Daddy."

Old 08-03-2018, 09:32 PM

129 posts, read 101,224 times
After many years I am getting off of Valium using a med for bipolar with a side effect of making you very sleepy. So far so good. I had to switch to a Psychiatrist to get the right treatment. Other doctors I had would substitute stuff but not at the same equivalent as what I was taking. For instance I wanted to get off of Xanax and asked to switch to Valium since it has a longer half life. My doctor gave me a prescription for Valium that required I take 10 pills to equal the dosage of Xanax. When it comes to mental problems I suggest you see a Psychiatrist as they know a lot more about this stuff.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:01 AM

5,664 posts, read 4,208,877 times
The only reason to see a psychiatrist is if you want or feel that you need drugs, because drug management is the majority of what they do. In general, for mental health problems, I would see a psychologist first because in most states they can't prescribe. But most people want that easy fix, don't realize the dangers of psych meds, and believe the chemical imbalance story they've been fed for decades.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:02 AM

1,059 posts, read 827,100 times
I have suffered from panic disorder since I was 28 to the point it was a daily struggle to go outside (agoraphobia). I had a career, so kept my panic disorder a secret because in the 1980s little was known about this "mental illness." I ended up in emergency rooms 21 times over a two-year period because I was sure I was having a heart attack each time. I found a psychiatrist out of Stanford University who was a pioneer in the disorder. Unfortunately, I picked up the fear of driving from other patients in group therapy sessions. While Valium calmed me down during an attack, I found Valium to cause depression and only used it for a week. Valium had a totally different effect from Xanax.

All of this background lead me to participate in clinical trials for Xanax. After 20-plus years of suffering, Xanax kept my panic attacks in check. To this day, I keep a supply in my purse as my safety net.

Over the years, my dosage went from .5 to 3.0 and there came a point I wanted to get off the pill dependence. I worked with my physician to gradually wean off the Xanax over a 14-month period (down to an occasional .25 only in emergencies). Getting off Xanax was very uncomfortable, including the feeling of jumping out of my skin. While I never want to go through withdrawal again, I am thankful for Xanax because it allowed me to function normally. Nothing else has ever worked.

Although Xanax has been abused for years by many and misprescribed (which I resent), the medication was made to address severe panic disorder. I am very thankful my use of Xanax is infrequent, but knowing I have a few .25 with me just in case has gone a long way toward diminishing the panic syndrome (behavior modification therapy was also a Godsend in getting it under control).

Last edited by Annie1004; 08-04-2018 at 01:12 AM..

Old 08-04-2018, 01:42 AM

255 posts, read 182,610 times
I never did good with medication. I don't take any now. When I was in middle school I was taking something for anxiety and I remember it making me so tired!
I also had a few psychiatrists would just give out meds like candy...and being an addict, I would enjoy that of course but that's what caused my OD back in 2010.
Anyway basically pills are bad. I agree with the person above about meditation.
The key is getting off all that crap and learn how to deal with things yourself.
I used to get major anxiety before work or school. Now, I don't have it at all. Why? I bet because I'm not drinking like I was or taking anything.
It really feels good to be free of any pills.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:09 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,091,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
But instead of drugging yourself or depending on that small dose, why can't you just learn how to deal with things without it???
easy to say lily...… but I do agree with some of it..

I had anxiety attacks after some extremely stressful events...almost going bankrupt..divorce…..,,,I was vomiting at work....dizzy very anxious......and in that state....you think everyone is against you or even following you..lol

I went to the dr. he gave me some valium..... but I also got on youtube and learned how to meditate... and learned how to cope and dismiss the anxiety instead of feeding it.
I still have the valium..... only took one....didnt want to depend on them...knew it was a band-aid..

sometimes we create our own demons and we are the only ones to rid them...…..not drugs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness