Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Very interesting article.

I certainly hope there's no connection between dementia and gluten because, though I'm not gluten sensitive, I love all of those things on that "bad" (or suspect) list. And why in the world I should take offense that others have found a diet with certain restrictions which works for them, is beyond me.

I think it's great that those with celiac disease or gluten sensitiivity are able to enjoy their favorite foods. Choice is good.
We all hope there is no connection but we don't know. And why is all this information coming out today, to scare us? Or bring some awareness.. I don't know.

There is plenty of food to eat and I'm certainly not depriving myself of any foods...what I choose not to eat is my choice. I decided not bring bread into my house probably 10 yrs ago. Any kind of bread. I don't need bread and have to work to keep my weight under control with means I've chosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 04:34 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The wheat of today is not the wheat of hundreds or thousands of years ago. It has been genetically modified, it's processed differently, and they are no longer generally soaked, sprouted and fermented as they used to be. About 40 years ago, new varieties, that grow quickly, were engineered and marketed and now make up over 90 percent of the wheat consumed in the US.
We also live much longer now that people did hundreds of years ago. And plenty of us globally eat that bad old modern wheat and are no worse for wear. I know you have sensitivities to gluten as you have stated so its smart for you to avoid it.
The biggest health threat to us is the fast food restaurant and cheap, processed packaged foods. Those foods are killers when eaten frequently. A loaf of organic sprouted wheat bread - not so much. Or a nice loaf of fresh sourdough bread with some extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Yum - and not a killer.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:40 PM

Lots more drugs taken today vs years ago. These keep people living longer I would guess.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-07-2018 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 04:50 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The wheat of today is not the wheat of hundreds or thousands of years ago. It has been genetically modified, it's processed differently, and they are no longer generally soaked, sprouted and fermented as they used to be.
Technically, it's hybridized, not genetically modified (GMO). GMO wheat is not sold in the US. I do know what you mean; however, good luck finding ANY crop--grain, fruit, or vegetable--that is what it was hundreds or thousands of years ago. Since time immemorial, farmers have been experimenting with crossbreeding to make crops that grow faster, bigger, sweeter, or whatever.

Here are some fascinating photos of what melons, corn, carrots and other produce looked like before farmers got to them and domesticated them: https://www.sciencealert.com/fruits-...-domestication

Old 08-07-2018, 04:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
We also live much longer now that people did hundreds of years ago. And plenty of us globally eat that bad old modern wheat and are no worse for wear. I know you have sensitivities to gluten as you have stated so its smart for you to avoid it.
The biggest health threat to us is the fast food restaurant and cheap, processed packaged foods. Those foods are killers when eaten frequently. A loaf of organic sprouted wheat bread - not so much. Or a nice loaf of fresh sourdough bread with some extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Yum - and not a killer.
To clarify, I never said that gluten is dangerous or that it's a killer. All I've said is that I'm overly sensitive to gluten. I have no idea whether it contributes to dementia or not.

Most processed foods, genetically modified foods, etc are potentially problematic to me, gluten or no gluten. Over 90 percent of the wheat eaten in the US today has been altered significantly from earlier, healthier forms, and it's not sprouted, fermented, etc. As long as people who aren't gluten sensitive avoid overly processed wheat I don't see a problem with wheat in general.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:23 PM

There is so much info and videos out there on the grain brain so could be more attention needs to be given to this issue of grains and the brain. I could post some but if anyone wants to they can do their own checking around on this. Dr. Perlmutter has so much info out there on this issue.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-07-2018 at 07:12 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 06:58 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Right. The point is that each person has different sensitivities. What might be great for one person is horrible for another person. I love dairy, but can only have limited amounts on a daily basis. I have no problems at all with gluten, but don’t care for plain white rice as it makes me feel very bloated and lethargic. I like rice, but tend to make other varieties that are less processed like basmati or mixed (non-white) types.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:01 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
I don't know if gluten can contribute to dementia but it's possible. Just as some cannot eat certain foods because they're allergic, some might be susceptible to brain changes when eating foods containing gluten. It's like anything we consume. One person might not have a reaction to it while someone else will. Basically, an allergy. Example, I'm allergic to cats and dogs but that's not the case for everyone. That's why we don't all fit into one box. Gauge how you feel an hour or two after you eat and if you're bothered, discontinue that food and see what happens.

I do know that the farm food of today isn't the same as it was 30, 40, or 50 years ago. Farmers don't let the land rest a few years before replanting. Soil is depleted of natural minerals which is why, I believe, we have to take more vitamins and minerals. We simply can't get enough from the foods we eat to keep our brain functioning properly or our bones and muscles strong. That's only my opinion but seeing how many years I've been on this earth and comparing the foods today with the same foods I ate and fed my family years ago, I can say there is definitely a difference.

There's been an uptick in the number of people that have Alzheimer's now than years ago. Although, how do we really know? We didn't have internet websites where we could discuss it so it's hard to say. My grandmother suffered with a little memory loss and died at the age of 97. Her sister, my aunt, lived to be 106 but remained clear headed. My own parents lived to be in their early 90's. Mom's weight fluctuated throughout her life while my father's remained steady (within five pounds up and down). Mom took many prescriptions and had numerous surgeries (over 7) where she was under general anesthesia. She developed dementia after awakening from hip surgery at the age of 84. She had just renewed her driver's license (written and driving) but anesthesia killed her brain. My father had his shoulder operated on and his knees (a total of 3 in his lifetime). He never had abdominal surgery and his mind was clear when he died. Also, both of them ate products containing gluten.

So whether gluten is the culprit, is anyone's guess. I blame anesthesia but that's based on my own experience which is why it's subjective. If it's affected you or someone you know, you'll form an opinion about it and say that's the reason but, in the end, we don't really know.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:18 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There is so much info and videos out there on the grain brain so could be more attention needs to be given to this issue of grains and the brain. I could post some but if anyone wants to they can do their own checking around on this. Dr. Perlmutter has so much info out there on this issue.
Not surprising you would bring up Perlmutter's name....a notorious quack.....

"Taken as a whole, Perlmutter’s career — his support for unproven treatments, his profiting from those treatments, his endless “miracle”-talk — suggests he probably isn’t a misunderstood genius who will be vindicated by time. Rather, his work places him squarely in the medical arm of the self-help industry, which stars figures like Dr. Oz (who has hosted Perlmutter and blurbs his books) and the notorious anti-vaccine quack Dr. Joseph Mercola (Perlmutter wrote the foreward to Mercola’s latest best seller, Effortless Healing)."
https://www.thecut.com/2015/06/probl...in-doctor.html

His grain brain nonsense is unsubstantiated drivel designed to help sell his books and personal line of supplements...

Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Considering your source of this information is the Gluten Free Society, I wouldn't consider it objective or valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness