Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:57 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OMG, I just sinned....thanks Mikala keeping tabs on me. Guess what I have another one in the refrig that I eat in 1/4's....and I "think" they are gluten free, my neighbor buys a couple for me at WF's every week or so. He calls them vegan, so not sure. But I don't care, and why should you.
Some bakeries make wheat-free, gluten-free muffins. My brother has serious celiac disease and other food allergies, so he searches these places out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 01:41 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You post so often about the same things, and yet act surprised and even angry when people remember what you say. Do you want them NOT to remember? Why bother posting then?
OP I think I finally understand why you create these conspiracy theory "expose" threads. You need conflict and dispute with others in order to give meaning to an otherwise self-absorbed, rigid, overly paranoid existence. Your fears seal you off from everything, you have apparently spent countless years armoring yourself against time and the real world to the point no one else can tolerate it. So, you turn to strangers on the web. We all want some attention, even if it's negative. Problem is, the more sermons you start the more people will pay attention to the content. The little lapses will be exposed eventually. Those little hypocritical truths. How sad even something as minuscule as 1/4 of a muffin can't be admitted without a fight.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:45 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
I'm inclined to believe that there may be an increased risk of dementia for those that actually HAVE Celiac Disease and continue to eat gluten whether it be because they haven't been diagnosed or from someone just refusing to adhere to a GF diet once diagnosed.

I'm in my fifties and have had "issues" for decades and not one doctor even thought of testing me for CD until just this past Fall. I also have another autoimmune disease (diagnosed over 30 years ago) and studies show that there is an increased prevalence for CD with this autoimmune disease however even with all of my symptoms and knowing about this other AI disease it just went unchecked for decades. And yes, I realize now I have to be my own health advocate and maybe I should have done more "googling" to self diagnose myself and push doctors to test me. Thankfully, after an ER visit and a misdiagnosis of diverticulitis, I found a new doctor that knew what to test me for just by going over my history and listening to my list of symptoms.

I can tell you first hand that the majority of people with CD experience a myriad of symptoms and it can affect so many different areas. Prior to diagnosis my liver and kidney values were bad, I had severe joint pain, hands would lock up, major gastro issues, dizziness, feeling like I was going to pass out almost every day, forgetting words and more.

Once going completely GF (and that meant avoiding even trace amounts due to cross contamination) I felt so much better! My liver and kidney tests have also improved greatly.

So could all of that gluten that I was eating over the years affect my brain especially since undiagnosed CD can cause nutritional deficiencies and inflammation in other areas of the body......my bet is yes!

Old 08-08-2018, 01:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I'm inclined to believe that there may be an increased risk of dementia for those that actually HAVE Celiac Disease and continue to eat gluten whether it be because they haven't been diagnosed or from someone just refusing to adhere to a GF diet once diagnosed.

I'm in my fifties and have had "issues" for decades and not one doctor even thought of testing me for CD until just this past Fall. I also have another autoimmune disease (diagnosed over 30 years ago) and studies show that there is an increased prevalence for CD with this autoimmune disease however even with all of my symptoms and knowing about this other AI disease it just went unchecked for decades. And yes, I realize now I have to be my own health advocate and maybe I should have done more "googling" to self diagnose myself and push doctors to test me. Thankfully, after an ER visit and a misdiagnosis of diverticulitis, I found a new doctor that knew what to test me for just by going over my history and listening to my list of symptoms.

I can tell you first hand that the majority of people with CD experience a myriad of symptoms and it can affect so many different areas. Prior to diagnosis my liver and kidney values were bad, I had severe joint pain, hands would lock up, major gastro issues, dizziness, feeling like I was going to pass out almost every day, forgetting words and more.

Once going completely GF (and that meant avoiding even trace amounts due to cross contamination) I felt so much better! My liver and kidney tests have also improved greatly.

So could all of that gluten that I was eating over the years affect my brain especially since undiagnosed CD can cause nutritional deficiencies and inflammation in other areas of the body......my bet is yes!
Amazing and how many out there have so many issues as you have had. Good for you and finding your issues and get on with your healing. My grandgirl who is only 21 went off gluten about a year ago and her skin is 1000% improved...her belly issues too.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some bakeries make wheat-free, gluten-free muffins. My brother has serious celiac disease and other food allergies, so he searches these places out.
I don't know who bakes mine, but they are from whole foods. So whomever does their baking.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm pretty sure lots of people thought Alexander Graham Bell was wasting his time too. Imagine the idiocy - talking into a box to someone across town - it don't make no sense! And that crazy Pasteur guy - heck, he didn't even have a license to practice medicine!
Bell and his research were well funded by telegram company owners, who easily saw the value of this work. Pasteur was already a respected chemistry professor by the time he made his major advances.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:48 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Don't have the time or inclination to address all of your points but I will say this.

He's trying to make a living. You are assuming he's full of it because of it. They don't always go together at least not in my book.
No, they don't always go together. But, its one thing to say that Walgreens is poisoning you with the Skin So Soft, and another to say that "I'm a Dr, they're poisoning you, and you should buy this stuff from me" and entirely another to say, "I'm selling a delightful plant based non scented sun screen."

If someone says "your shoes are going to cause back problems," and makes their living selling shoe inserts, don't you think you should look at that a bit more closely?
Quote:
This is stupid logic (no offense) and it doesn't prove anything. Look at cigarettes and tobacco. How long were they accepted as safe. People had no idea of the harm they could cause for MANY years.
Not that long, really. Before WW1, lung cancer was rare, and machinery to mass roll cigarettes was only invented in the late 1800's. By the 1930's German and American scientists had identified the strong correlation, and Germans introduced an antismoking campaing though it was cut short when the Nazis assumed power. In the 1950's it had become pretty clear. Big Tobacco did work for years to suppress all of that, and threw mud in the water by pointing out (correctly) that in individual cases, its hard to identify causes. Its the difference between saying, "overweight people as a whole are at higher risk of heart disease" and "You have heart disease because you're overweight."

Furthermore, There's a stark difference between, "People thought they were safe" or "People didn't know how harmful they were" and "Something that the medical community says is a wise and healthy decision to prevent cancer is actually going to cause you cancer."

Its the difference between saying "Resveratrol has fat burning properties" and "A glass of wine is the same as an hour at the gym, because it has Resveratrol."

Similarly, when it comes to chemicals, the dose makes the poison. That's true of salt, its true of alcohol, its true of Aspirin, its true of purified distilled triple filtered water. An aspirin can reduce your risk of heart attack, it can relieve a headache, if you take a bit too much for too long, it can cause an ulcer, and if you swallow an entire bottle, you can become sick and die.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:50 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Before I start, let me say I really don't know anything about Perlmutter.

A lot people here on CD like to attack the messenger instead of approaching the message itself. They try to nullify the message by trying to discredit the messenger. If you read the article you posted you will see that most of what Levinovitz does is again, attack the messenger. Ask yourself why? Does he have some kind of personal vendetta against him? Not one word about the actual message.

So let me do a bit of the same. The article you posted above is written by Dr. Alan Levinovitz. Sure he's a PhD or whatever and guess what? he's got a book out entitled "The Gluten Lie: And Other Myths About What We Eat". So let's take a look at HIM.

He's an Associate Professor of Religion at James Madison University. Here's a short bio on him and take a look at his other books.

https://www.jmu.edu/philrel/people/l...itz-alan.shtml

What qualifications does he have? I see absolutely none other than he decided to write a book about gluten.
It isn't attacking the "messenger" to attack "sources" cited....let's not be ridiculous here....

If the "message" is supported by a passage or link to a "reference" of some sort most rational people will look at the SOURCE to see if it is reputable....

Of course many here take any message they find on the internet as gospel truth, especially if it aligns with their preconceived notions, hence THIS thread, but most rational people investigate sources for accuracy and reliability

If the SOURCE is not reputable than the "message" immediately becomes questionable...

Discrediting a poster who cites Perlmutter as a "source" isn't an Ad hominem attack...it is attacking the credibility of the message if the source is widely considered to be "non credible"

Your criticism of Levinowitz for instance ignores all the factual evidence he provides even in the short link cited explaining WHY Perlmutter's beliefs on gluten should be called into question. Levinowitz may profit by selling more books but he isn't trying to sell a lifestyle (along with supplements, treatments, talk shows, etc ) like Perlmutter.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It isn't attacking the "messenger" to attack "sources" cited....let's not be ridiculous here....

If the "message" is supported by a passage or link to a "reference" of some sort most rational people will look at the SOURCE to see if it is reputable....

Of course many here take any message they find on the internet as gospel truth, especially if it aligns with their preconceived notions, hence THIS thread, but most rational people investigate sources for accuracy and reliability

If the SOURCE is not reputable than the "message" immediately becomes questionable...

Discrediting a poster who cites Perlmutter as a "source" isn't an Ad hominem attack...it is attacking the credibility of the message if the source is widely considered to be "non credible"

Your criticism of Levinowitz for instance ignores all the factual evidence he provides even in the short link cited explaining WHY Perlmutter's beliefs on gluten should be called into question. Levinowitz may profit by selling more books but he isn't trying to sell a lifestyle (along with supplements, treatments, talk shows, etc ) like Perlmutter.
Thank goodness doctors like Perlmutter are out there "opening up people's minds".

Old 08-08-2018, 06:42 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thank goodness doctors like Perlmutter are out there "opening up people's minds".
Perlmutter is doing nothing but "lining his pockets" he isn't "opening minds"

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...gluten/282550/

https://www.vox.com/2015/6/24/883863...ain-perlmutter

No one with an ounce of good sense is buying the nonsense Perlmutter is peddling..

I love that folks typically with wackadoodle ideas or notions often implore people to "keep an open mind"

When I was taught the Pythagorean Theorem or the Krebs Cycle in school, no teacher ever had to say "Now keep an open mind" before launching into specifics...

But get into a discussion on UFOs or Bigfoot, and the first sentence usually begins with "keep an open mind"

One of my favorite quotes attributed to various authors including Carl Sagan, to paraphrase " Do not be so open minded that your brains fall out"

In other words, think critically, think rationally but don't accept nonsense as "truth"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness