U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:51 PM

18,769 posts, read 6,129,215 times

Advertisements

More and more coming out about this possible connection. I work to avoid gluten in my diet.

https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/ca...ause-dementia/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 05:57 AM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
I don't know but I do know I feel a WHOLE LOT BETTER and was able to shed 30 stubborn pounds, when I cut gluten out of my diet. There are so many gluten free options now - for bread and pasta too, as well as cereal, crackers, chips, etc. and at many restaurants as well - that it simply hasn't been a problem.

Quote:
Here’s a list of foods linked to increased rates of Alzheimer’s disease:

Processed cheeses, including American cheese, mozzarella sticks, Cheez Whiz and Laughing Cow. These foods build up proteins in the body that have been associated with Alzheimer’s.
Processed meats, such as bacon, smoked turkey from the deli counter and ham. Smoked meats like these contain nitrosamines, which cause the liver to produce fats that are toxic to the brain.
Beer. Most beers contain nitrites, which have been linked to Alzheimer’s.
White foods, including pasta, cakes, white sugar, white rice and white bread. Consuming these causes a spike in insulin production and sends toxins to the brain.
Microwave popcorn contains diacetyl, a chemical that may increase amyloid plaques in the brain. Research has linked a buildup of amyloid plaques to Alzheimer’s disease.
Quote:
Unfortunately, the foods that hamper memory are common staples in the American diet. White breads, pasta, processed meats and cheeses, all of these have been linked to Alzheimer’s disease. Some experts have even found that whole grain breads are as bad as white breads because they spike blood sugar, which causes inflammation.
https://www.alzheimers.net/foods-tha...e-memory-loss/

In this link, there is also a lot of good information about foods which seem to be beneficial to the brain and memory skills.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Why not seriously consider all the possibilities on this horrid dementia life so many end up with. I started thinking about this years ago when I got rid of all the aluminum cookware in my life. That was the first start. Now the foods....hopefully I'm good.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:37 AM

7,671 posts, read 11,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know but I do know I feel a WHOLE LOT BETTER and was able to shed 30 stubborn pounds, when I cut gluten out of my diet. There are so many gluten free options now - for bread and pasta too, as well as cereal, crackers, chips, etc. and at many restaurants as well - that it simply hasn't been a problem.
This gluten-free craze has been a godsend to my wife and others who have Celiac Disease. It used to be impossible to eat out or even to find gluten-free substitutes for in-home cooking. However, she still has to worry about cross-contamination of supposedly gluten-free dishes when eating in restaurants. And most if not all dishes are out at Asian restaurants because of the sauces that are used (tamari, soy, etc.).

Gluten also is used as a stabilizer and thickener in many products, even ketchup and mustard. Same goes for pasta sauce, tomato paste, BBQ sauce and pre-made marinades.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:49 PM

4,839 posts, read 5,900,840 times
Until there are actual peer reviewed studies by non biased sources I am going to call BS on this one. I know plenty of older people and people who have died at very old ages that had no dementia whatsoever. I am sure they did not live their lives gluten free.
You can find all kinds of theories that will match one's own way of thinking. Confirmation bias is rampant in our society. An article published by a gluten free society website is hardly evidence.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Until there are actual peer reviewed studies by non biased sources I am going to call BS on this one. I know plenty of older people and people who have died at very old ages that had no dementia whatsoever. I am sure they did not live their lives gluten free.
You can find all kinds of theories that will match one's own way of thinking. Confirmation bias is rampant in our society. An article published by a gluten free society website is hardly evidence.
Check out the list of side effects from gluten allergy...even numbness/tingling of feet and hands

Side Effects & Risks of Gluten Allergy or Intolerance

Old 08-06-2018, 02:12 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
If someone could present a compelling enough reason to INCLUDE gluten in one's diet, I would consider it.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:19 PM

3,043 posts, read 2,882,659 times
never giving up pizza dough, croissants, beer, wine, and a host of other poisons. Pretty certain the early signs of dementia are already apparent or, could it be the reefer? Life is short.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:25 PM

7,671 posts, read 11,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Check out the list of side effects from gluten allergy...even numbness/tingling of feet and hands

Side Effects & Risks of Gluten Allergy or Intolerance
That article pertains solely to people with Celiac Disease and lists the side effects they can suffer if they eat gluten. It has absolutely nothing to do with non-Celiacs who consume gluten. You seem to think that the article means that "normal" people who eat products with gluten will suffer those same side effects.

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 08-06-2018 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: I might as well delete that comment myself before it gets deleted for me, lol.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If someone could present a compelling enough reason to INCLUDE gluten in one's diet, I would consider it.
I would not, don't miss it and can't imagine going back to gluten crackers, love the gluten free crackers I eat. When I think of the wheat thins and triskets -- blah...so wheaty tasting. I don't eat many crackers but like them for some peanut butter and cream cheese and also for middle of night when I take ibuprofen, need to take with food.

I'm not perfect and do buy personal size pizzas for a treat and not gluten free...but maybe 2 a month.

Buy no breads period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness