U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:52 AM

5,369 posts, read 2,978,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
What do you mean? Does pee make your asparagus smell funny?
I've heard that it does... that's why I pee away from where my asparagus grows. And I pee on my neighbor's asparagus, instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Nicci6, will you please move in next door to me? You crack me up!
You might change your mind when you read about how I pee on my neighbor's asparagus, Puginabug.
(This is how rumors get started. I say something stupid on an internet forum and the next thing you know, my neighbors are standing outside my house with pitchforks and pee-soaked asparagus.)

Old 08-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes it does. A good explanation:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...mell-49961252/

Eat some and find out. It's not a life-altering problem and as they say, "this too shall pass."
That article is about asparagus making your pee smell funny. We're talking about pee making your asparagus smell funny.

It goes both ways is what I'm sayin'.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:56 PM

20,503 posts, read 28,857,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I run into some people (mostly strangers but also a few at work) who seem to have a certain smell to them. I don't think it is something you can wash off or mask with perfume or deodorant.

It is a similar smell they all share and yes, it is unpleasant (at least to me) but they don't seem to notice it or are bothered by it. I'm sure these people have friends and family too so how are those people able to cope it being around them?

Do you know the smell I am talking about?
Based on the time of year posted I would say it's from perspiration and there isn't much you can do about it since they probably left the house freshly showered and smelling good, but lost it through the hustle-bustle of the day and being outside for any length of time. I have found through my own similar sensitivity that having a refreshing spray available to spritz myself has helped to neutralize that post-encounter.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:39 PM

5,142 posts, read 2,321,799 times
Dander, clogged pores, dietary change and certain meds.

Only thing I've witnessed was a sauna (clear toxins) and avoiding certain foods/seasonings. I can tell when someone had garlic..its an offensive odor to my nose. Yet in their mind...it cleaned the blood stream ...did nothing for the the lingering aroma.

Most adults appreciate a gentle opinion on the body aroma. Some adjust others become the smell in question. Being body shamed is not aiding...so be mindful when addressing it...

Old 08-07-2018, 03:52 PM

9,652 posts, read 17,917,861 times
The people who don't use deodorant can get quite ripe especially on hot days.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:07 PM

13,820 posts, read 16,440,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The people who don't use deodorant can get quite ripe especially on hot days.
Many years ago, I worked with a guy who reeked on days when it was warm or... God forbid... hot.
In an attempt to be helpful--in a roundabout way--I said, "Joe, I am thinking about switching to a different deodorant. Which deodorant do you use?"

His response was, "Deodorant is only for dirty people, so I don't need any of that stuff. I just put Johnson's Baby Powder under my arms after I shower".

He smelled like a baby with really bad B.O.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:11 PM

9,652 posts, read 17,917,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Many years ago, I worked with a guy who reeked on days when it was warm or... God forbid... hot.
In an attempt to be helpful--in a roundabout way--I said, "Joe, I am thinking about switching to a different deodorant. Which deodorant do you use?"

His response was, "Deodorant is only for dirty people, so I don't need any of that stuff. I just put Johnson's Baby Powder under my arms after I shower".

He smelled like a baby with really bad B.O.
He is nasty. I have known a few women who don't use deodorant or even shave their underarms. Not shaving is ok (it don't bother me) but being stinky does.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:19 PM

10,965 posts, read 19,334,311 times
Quote:
He is nasty. I have known a few women who don't use deodorant or even shave their underarms. Not shaving is ok (it don't bother me) but being stinky does.
My mom thinks as she's gotten older, her underarms have quit stinking. Instead, I think her nose has quit working.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:40 PM

32,156 posts, read 17,416,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Yes I think I do. It is a combination of old body oil (rancid), dead skin cells (rotting). People who wear their shirts and blouses many times without washing them because they don't look dirty, their clothes will smell of it and so will their living quarters. Same with bed sheets, pillow cases, dresses, jeans, oft-worn jackets or sweaters and so on. Hanging these smelly clothes in the closet can pass this smell into the clean clothes. Moral of the story is wash after 2 wears.

I misread that last sentence, I thought it said ... after two years!

Quote:
We had a lady like that who was from Germany. And man oh man, she REEKED proudly and defiantly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or