U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:55 PM

9,595 posts, read 17,666,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

We had a lady like that who was from Germany. And man oh man, she REEKED proudly and defiantly!
When I was stationed in Germany for 2 yrs I did encounter a few german women who reeked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 06:13 PM

3,951 posts, read 1,483,216 times
I once did field research with a prominent ornithologist. He had the most amazing memory of decades of ornithology journal articles; an incredibly knowledgeable, respected man. He'd just about live out in the bushes while working on a study. The decrepit single wide mobile home he'd rent for the field season was just a place to sleep and to drink the evenings away. Typically, in late winter each year he'd go to a thrift store, buy a couple of shirts and jeans, and wear them day in and day out until they literally rotted off his back. Being stuck in a room with this walking encyclopedia on a warm day was to be avoided. His aroma could clear the room in a few minutes. Once good thing about him was that his lectures never lasted long...the escaping audience made sure of that.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:27 PM

5,605 posts, read 6,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I misread that last sentence, I thought it said ... after two years!

We had a lady like that who was from Germany. And man oh man, she REEKED proudly and defiantly!
A German in-law thinks there is no need to dry clean the wool suits she wears. Pwwweee!

Old 08-07-2018, 06:45 PM

19,616 posts, read 53,341,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I know asparagus makes your pee smell funny. And vice versa.
Asparagus makes everyone's urine smell. However, some people don't have the receptors to smell it so they literally think their "pee don't stink!" It does, they just can't smell it.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:48 PM

19,616 posts, read 53,341,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
A German in-law thinks there is no need to dry clean the wool suits she wears. Pwwweee!
My French in-laws were convinced dry-cleaning ruined/weakened fabrics. Since they bought expensive clothes, they expected them to last 15-20 years. Aired out in the room before being put in the wardrobe.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:05 PM

2,787 posts, read 2,500,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I run into some people (mostly strangers but also a few at work) who seem to have a certain smell to them. I don't think it is something you can wash off or mask with perfume or deodorant.

It is a similar smell they all share and yes, it is unpleasant (at least to me) but they don't seem to notice it or are bothered by it. I'm sure these people have friends and family too so how are those people able to cope it being around them?

Do you know the smell I am talking about?

Well, it could be any of the following:

Dander mixed with unwashed clothing (living mummy smell)
The Limburger cheese smell of bacteria growing between folds of cellulite (overweight people)
Sweaty butt (the hairy butt smell of a primate)
Sweaty feet (a bacteria with a hint of provolone cheese and locker / changing room)
Sweaty fabric (dirty socks smell - with the rolled up in hamper smell)

Food consumption related smells:
Spices that secrete through pores such as
Curry
Garlic
Onion, etc...
Lotsa pasta (akin to that stinky baby fat smelling bacteria with mix of wet semolina noodle)
Any Cabbage family vegetable (a souring fermented scent)
Body oil or cooking oils in air which cling to clothes and said person (restaurant kitchen range hood smell)

Bad Habit related behavior smells:
Marijuana stank (rancid slightly skunk smell)
Alcoholics (depends on their level of processing)
Cigarette stench (old ashtray linger)
Perfumes / deodorant cover up but not quite good enough) that weird blend of mad scientist lab smell

Occupation / Pet related:
Someone who works with solvents / chemicals or at sanitation plant
Livestock / stable (animal fertilizer)
Guinea pig (stinky hairy wood chip smell)
Dog (etc) (pick your favorite pet)

Poor hygiene:
Non regular bathers whose behavior elevates all of the above and is especially pronounced in body areas not receiving air circulation (armpits, crotch, feet)
Non regular oral hygiene (teeth brush / flossing) bacteria in the mouth (remnant of cracker stuck in back of tongue smell)

People don't notice because the nose receptors fill up and they (while bathed in the odoriferous scent of their being) do not notice it. It is same reason if you leave a room and then return a while later you then notice the smell. They are walking around like Pigpen in Peanuts with a surrounding 'cloud'.

As the (insert favorite nationality here) like to say, "I like my manly scent".

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/173478.php

I likely missed a few but I think you get the whiff of it.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:49 PM

5,248 posts, read 2,859,306 times
Using parmesan cheese instead of talcum powder is a bad move.
So is storing herring (fresh or pickled) in your fanny pack.
I'm available for other advice, if needed. Oh, I am full of beans.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:18 PM

2,902 posts, read 1,169,913 times
There are usually 4 funky odors some people may have and not notice.

-Swamp crotch, usually happens because of pants that dont breathe, cant wipe well, or too much friction between the legs.

_arm pits, its Anti perspirant that you need, not deodorant. Apply some after lunch time please. hold the onions!

-that cheesy aroma, behind the ears, or many other crevices. Its the funky cheese no one likes to sample.

-or the smell of Salami. Or Baloney ,Ham, all the same stink. Brush after every meal, and carry a mint. Almost as bad as coffee and cigarette breathe.

There is also a 5th, which is dried sweat on the body. This usually happens to those that do not fully shower before going out.Do not shower after working out.

If you have to be around people like this, keep a perfumed handkerchief near .

Old 08-08-2018, 05:31 AM

9,036 posts, read 3,877,257 times
My youngest son works in landscaping. He is out in the hot sun all day. When he comes home he is dripping wet with sweat including his clothes. And man does he reek!

I think a lot of it is also food related. While at the gym the other day this guy next to me on the treadmill smelled of garlic and too many cigarettes. It was practically emanating from his pores. I worked with a Greek woman once who always smelled like chicken soup. She didn't shave her legs or armpits and I doubt she used deodorant or anti-perspirant.

A former boss used to go out every Wednesday night with her boyfriend. She was rather a heavy drinker and a smoker. When she would come in on Thursdays the smell of booze, cigarettes and the heavy meal she had the night before would just be oozing out of her. She was a clean woman but things we eat can effect the way we smell, not just in our mouths.

Now for the asparagus thing. Everyone in my family can smell it in the their urine within 15 minutes of eating it.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:52 AM

27,299 posts, read 44,821,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I know asparagus makes your pee smell funny. And vice versa.
Foods that people eat do manifest themselves in body odors or body waste--like urine and sweat

The Harry Bosch novels refer to that--Harry in the books has no desire to eat Vietnamese food because he had to eat that all the time serving in the Army in Vietnam because he was a tunnel rat
Had to smell like the Vietnamese he would encounter down there so as not to give his presence away by smelling like US troops who ate more beef and dairy
In the tv series he is more prone to eat it w/his daughter and claim he got used to eating it during the war...

Other ethnic groups usually have diets w/routine ingredients that the average Americans don't eat in as large a quantity
When I was a child, my dad worked with an Hispanic guy--a mechanic--and we went to visit his family at their house--I can remember like it was yesterday the strange (to me) smell in the house when we went in
It was cumin--which to me was something I had never come across in that way--
They were great people--we spent lot of time with them--and learned a lot to like about Tex Mex food--
Like cabrito...
But she cooked with lot of cumin--and back then I certainly didn't know that spice or eat food my cooked with cumin in it
Now I use cumin when I make certain dishes but don't think we eat enough to leave residual effect...

Ghee is another food with strong odor (to me) and homes where people have cooked with it can also retain the odor...
And clothes can pick up household odors of all kinds not to mention have foods, especially spices, released through the body in several ways...

And if you read the books by Tony Hillerman and his daughter--
The detectives in the books sometimes make mention of the various smells that they notice around Anglos or other ethnic groups or various homes they are in because of the different diets that people eat that manifests itself in smells/odors...
That is totally different of course that just the acrid smell of sweat itself which can contain traces of the soaps or shampoos people have been using...

My son used to work as short-order cook at local Dairy Queen in high school
He hated working there because of the grease smell he would bring home in his clothing and hair--
He always had to take big shower when he got home and his clothes could retain that grease smell--had to use some type of additive w/the soap at times...

And yes--cigarettes are horrible for their pervasive smells
We bought used bedroom suite for our second home in FL that was vintage Dixie Chippendale style...it came from home of smoker--
We could see the nicotine on the exterior paint and had to use a battery powered toothbrush to help scrub it off before we took it into the house
Keep packs of room freshener in the paper sachets in all the drawers---
They weren't as badly effected as the exterior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or