Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:47 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,678,956 times

Advertisements

Depending on the type of food one eats, the smell can come out through their pores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 08:55 AM

23,889 posts, read 32,188,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I run into some people (mostly strangers but also a few at work) who seem to have a certain smell to them. I don't think it is something you can wash off or mask with perfume or deodorant.

It is a similar smell they all share and yes, it is unpleasant (at least to me) but they don't seem to notice it or are bothered by it. I'm sure these people have friends and family too so how are those people able to cope it being around them?

Do you know the smell I am talking about?
Can you describe the smell?

Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 PM

12,176 posts, read 7,138,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Can you describe the smell?
I can't. There isn't anything similar to it that I know of. Despite many posters so far giving their ideas, it is not any of it. It isn't food or hygiene. It is something certain people are born with. They will have it no matter how often they bathe or what they eat. It is something they can't get rid of.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,722,854 times
Quote:
I can't. There isn't anything similar to it that I know of. Despite many posters so far giving their ideas, it is not any of it. It isn't food or hygiene. It is something certain people are born with. They will have it no matter how often they bathe or what they eat. It is something they can't get rid of.
This is a true story. I saw on a tv program 2 women with extreme body smells that affected their daily lives...one reportedly smelled like dead fish, the other like burning tires. All the time, no matter what...doctors had said no way to remedy, just their body smell. They led miserable lives...

so...everyone's body odor is different.....

Old 08-08-2018, 02:46 PM

88 posts, read 55,657 times
I've read a theory that certain people with certain genes or illnesses have unpleasant odor to people for whom contracting those illness or procreating with would be disastrous. A way for your body to tell you that, hey, stay away from those folks. I don't believe that theory.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:53 PM

19,049 posts, read 25,151,049 times
Thinking back ~50 years to my undergraduate days, one of my classmates had a... let's just say... distinctive scent.
He was a chain smoker, and he clearly did not wash either his body or his clothing very often. In order to try to conceal his smoker's stench and his B.O., he used to douse himself in Old Spice aftershave. The result was a very weird olfactory admixture of stale smoke, B.O., and Old Spice.

His nasty odor was so strong that one could detect his presence in a room long after he had left. I thought that I was the only one who had noticed the... trail... that he left until I entered a stairwell with one of my female classmates, and as soon as we opened the fire door to enter the stairwell, she said--with a frown on her face--"Oh... Joe Tedino was here a few minutes ago!"

Old 08-08-2018, 06:37 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,538,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
There are usually 4 funky odors some people may have and not notice.

-Swamp crotch, usually happens because of pants that dont breathe, cant wipe well, or too much friction between the legs.

_arm pits, its Anti perspirant that you need, not deodorant. Apply some after lunch time please. hold the onions!

-that cheesy aroma, behind the ears, or many other crevices. Its the funky cheese no one likes to sample.

-or the smell of Salami. Or Baloney ,Ham, all the same stink. Brush after every meal, and carry a mint. Almost as bad as coffee and cigarette breathe.

There is also a 5th, which is dried sweat on the body. This usually happens to those that do not fully shower before going out.Do not shower after working out.

If you have to be around people like this, keep a perfumed handkerchief near .

I once had a girlfriend who was born without a sense of smell. My best friend, upon hearing of this, pronounced that she was the ideal woman for me.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 PM

37,463 posts, read 45,679,521 times
Quote:
There is no specific ethnic group. It seems to be trans-racial.
It's garlic. Some people eat a LOT of it, and they have no idea that the smell comes out through the pores. Also onions and cumin will do the same.
I can't stand being around those people that have that odor. Blech!

Old 01-04-2019, 01:04 PM

7,079 posts, read 12,582,046 times
I was just paging through an old health book I had my shelves (Dr. Wright's Book of Nutritional Therapy) and he said that severe, lingering body odor comes from the inside...

Do you eat a lot of green leafy vegetables on a daily basis?

If not, the doctor recommends supplementing with chlorophyll capsules, magnesium and dolomite.

You may have deficits in magnesium especially.

Start eating lots of green salads and supplement as above is what he recommends.

He's helped others solve their odor problems with this regimen.

Hope this helps...

We ARE what we eat (or don't eat).

Old 01-04-2019, 01:29 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,020,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Clothes that have been washed in a washer with mildew in the rim or lines or not moved to the dryer promptly after washing tend to get a mildew odor. It is not that noticeable when you put the clothes on, but after the body warms them up, it's an odor detectable from several feet away, and it can be easily mistaken for body odor.

no way. that is one of the worst smells ever. I would rather smell like bo than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness