U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 AM

4,640 posts, read 3,006,229 times

Advertisements

by a person or a study?

I recall that even Nathan Pritikin who donned his megaphone in praise of whole grains, fruits, and vegs, while condemning all forms of dietary fat, had problems with spinach. saying that it could cause arthritis and kidney stones. He even said that too much fresh fruit could elevate triglycerides.

Imagine having a myocardial infarct for pigging out on apples, pears, and table grapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:22 AM

2,334 posts, read 631,482 times
I'm pretty sure that Brussels Sprouts are considered healthy. Yuck!

My old boss used to say "If it tastes good, spit it out."

Old 08-07-2018, 07:43 AM

1,631 posts, read 621,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm pretty sure that Brussels Sprouts are considered healthy. Yuck!

My old boss used to say "If it tastes good, spit it out."

….and cholesterol tastes great.

We have four basic taste buds: salt-sweet-sour- and bitter. This helped our progenitors survive in the jungle. We need the sugar and salt, so we seek those tastes. Bitter usually means "poison" (alkaloids) and sour means acid (putrid) so we avoid those.

Kids have much more acute senses of taste than us old folks who have often "acquired tastes" thru the years. Kids often reject the taste of things their mothers tell them are "good for them."

Maybe we should be listening to our kids?

Back to the OP-- food info is generally false, faddish and given out for commercial gain. There's very little, if any, science to recommend one over another.

Diet only adversely affects you if you have certain conditions. Eg- excess carbs for diabetics; dairy for those with lactase deficiency; wheat for those with celiac disease, citrus for those with PUD, etc etc. Foods don't "cause" disease, but they can aggravate existing disease.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:46 AM

5,624 posts, read 3,183,551 times
If you have lived long enough, you will have heard what is good is now bad, and back and forth. Don't let it make you crazy. Moderation is the key.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 AM

40,824 posts, read 32,574,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
by a person or a study?

I recall that even Nathan Pritikin who donned his megaphone in praise of whole grains, fruits, and vegs, while condemning all forms of dietary fat, had problems with spinach. saying that it could cause arthritis and kidney stones. He even said that too much fresh fruit could elevate triglycerides.

Imagine having a myocardial infarct for pigging out on apples, pears, and table grapes.
I think the key is "moderation in all things." Also, to me it makes sense that different bodies react to different foods differently. I think there are variations of many different healthy diet plans out there - we just have to find what works for our bodies.

As for spinach - true story here:

I was trying to eat healthily and when I was working especially it was common for me to sort of get in a groove about what I was eating for breakfast and lunch. Pretty much the same thing day after day was normal for me, with maybe a break on the weekends. Anyway, so every morning I was eating home made granola (healthy, right?) with wheat germ (also healthy, right?). For lunch I was having a big salad with a lot of spinach added. And I was on a pickled beets tear - I had bought a big jar of them and was eating them for a snack at night. I mean, come on - beets - low calorie, healthy enough, right?

Also, I have always been a big iced tea drinker (unsweetened). So I was probably drinking 3 or 4 glasses of iced tea a day.

BAM. I got a kidney stone. Come to find out, all four of those things - tea, beets, wheat germ, and spinach - all contain some sort of ingredient that can cause kidney stones. Now, one or two of them a few times a week, no problem. But all of them, every day, and I got a kidney stone. Never had one before and never had one since, believe me (getting one will get your attention and believe me, I didn't want to repeat the experience!).

But there's nothing really "wrong" with any of those elements - it was just a perfect storm for my body I guess.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:11 AM

14,422 posts, read 11,444,639 times
When I was taken into hospital with severe chest pains they found it was gallstones and asked me about my diet... smoking , drinking etc...........and they couldnt find the common culprit as Ive never smoked, didnt drink very much alcohol and never ever ate fried foods or binged on sweet sugary things...... so what was it.........I explained that two weeks before Id fell out of a moving car while packing xmas presents on the back seat..... my daughter who was driving thought Id got in the seat but I had only left the bags.. she started the car and I fell out the still open door. on to the kerb at the side of the pavement..although I didnt hurt my stomach or mid body I did bash the back of my head cutting it and my leg and foot was dragged along the ground.. they noted this but said nothing.. now Im finding outhers who this happened to with having to have gallbladder removed after an accident.. so its not always food we eat..

Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 AM

574 posts, read 139,468 times
Im not giving up chocolate no matter what any expert says! No! Never! Nada!

Old 08-07-2018, 09:00 AM

14,422 posts, read 11,444,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Im not giving up chocolate no matter what any expert says! No! Never! Nada!
well dark chocolate is very good for you they say wolf in Willie..hahah

Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 AM

3,419 posts, read 2,112,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If you have lived long enough, you will have heard what is good is now bad, and back and forth. Don't let it make you crazy. Moderation is the key.
Could not agree with this more. Moderation in all things, don't smoke, exercise and watch your weight. The rest as far as I can tell depends on genetics.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:30 PM

2,241 posts, read 2,185,639 times
Its all a risk management exercise. Everything will kill you over time, just a matter of balancing the things you enjoy with the things that are good for you and then vary them frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or