U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 04:17 AM

4,453 posts, read 1,735,707 times

Advertisements

I had that done 33 years ago. I did not like the aftereffects while recovering and having a small nose made it more difficult and painful, but afterward I did breathe better. This is likely done with newer equipment and procedures these days and everyone's experience can vary. I was told that it "could revert back", and sure enough, I feel that is what has occurred, limiting breathing in the left nostril. I had sinus infections in later years too, but I am not going to bother with that mess again.

I had finally discovered that rinsing my sinuses using a Neti-pot with saline solution is quite helpful, so I will suggest it, not even having infections in recent years. But you do what you feel is right for you and as I say, we are all going to vary. I sympathize with anyone suffering with this since it messes with sleep and breathing in general. Hope it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 05:42 AM

9,120 posts, read 3,936,411 times
I had deviated septum surgery and a little cosmetic work done in 1980. It worked for awhile but even before I became addicted to nasal sprays in the last few years if I laid down on my side the nostril on the side I wasn't laying on would collapse. I used to try and use my arm over my head to hold the nostril open.

Breathe Rite strips have been a miracle for me. My biggest problem was trying to remove them in the morning. I have much better luck with the generic store brand and I haven't noticed any difference in the shape of my nose.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:43 AM

1,140 posts, read 519,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I would pause on the surgery and first try a CPAP machine.
CPAP is not going to work as well as surgery. CPAP helps when apnea is caused by soft tissue issues, but a deviated septum isn't soft tissue related, and the CPAP machine can't force air down a restricted pathway that lacks flexibility. The body naturally switches from one side of the nose to the other while sleeping, and when it switches to the restricted side, breathing issues ensue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle

Old 09-13-2018, 11:12 AM

7,606 posts, read 1,762,211 times
I had surgery for a deviated septum and they also removed the turbinates as well. Afterward I felt like I had a wind tunnel in the middle of my face it was so much easier to breathe.

You can also have cosmetic surgery at the same time for your nose if you want it. All you'd pay is the plastic surgeon's fee for the cosmetic part since insurance will pay for the functional part of the surgery and related costs like anesthesia and operating room costs. So find a plastic surgeon who specializes in nose jobs, which are very difficult to do and not look like Michael Jackson afterward!

Old 09-17-2018, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 834 times
I had my deviated septum fixed to try an alleviate snoring problems. I had always had a half blocked nose and it made a difference. I still tend to mouth breath a bit though. If my mouth is closed I feel like I am not getting enough oxygen.

Overall I was happy I had it done. The surgeon was planning not to straighten the nose until I asked and he charged extra. That hurt like hxxx.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:49 PM

5,435 posts, read 3,402,824 times
I had functional endoscopic sinus surgery to remove polyps, along with a septoplasty. My formerly deviated septum is still just as deviated. I wonder about the overall efficacy of this procedure (the septoplasty) since it seems Iím far from the only one with no results.

Iím about to start Fasenra injections because I have eosinophilic (high levels of IgE) asthma. It is hoped it will reduce asthma exacerbations, improve lung function, suppress further nasal polyp growth and reduce or eliminate inhaled steroid use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness