Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 01:00 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,443 times

Advertisements

For years I was waking up extremely tired and decided to investigate because it was just not normal how tired I was feeling. I first investigated a thyroid issue but my blood work came back fine. I mentioned it to my sister in law who is a nurse and she suggested that I may have trouble breathing at night and said I should try a breathe right nose strip when I sleep. The first night i used the strip I woke up the next morning feeling SO much better. Not only that, but when I put on the strip I could feel my sinuses opening up and I could breathe so much better. I didn't know how bad it was until I felt it clear up.

So I've been using these nose strips for about a year and a half and I feel like the shape of my nose is literally starting to change, almost like I'm getting saddle nose. I googled this and a few people said that same thing so I no longer want to depend on these strips. So i decided to go to an ENT to finally have it checked. he said I have a deviated septum and prescribed me azelastine (nasal spray) but said that if the spray doesn't help then the only other option is surgery.

So i'm wondering if anyone has ever had surgery to fix a deviated septum??? did it help with breathing at night? if not, has anyone used a nasal spray to help them breathe better at night?

I kind of want to have the surgery. the idea of using a nasal spray every night forever just doesn't seem right to me and looking at some of the side effects is scary. I would definitely get a second opinion before surgery though, anyway just looking for any general input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 01:17 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Ooh. I smell a free nose job in your future. I haven’t had a deviated septum but I’ve wished for one so I could get a better looking nose at the same time.

Of course surgery is never to be taken lightly, but if it can be corrected, once and for all, I’d do it.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
I had the surgery in my mid 30's and I'm 80. My breathing is good and my nose is nice.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:45 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
I (still) have a deviated septum. It hasn't bothered me enough for me to do the surgery. But there are now new procedures that do not require surgery. The only reason I know about them is I hear commercials on TV and radio about them. It's an outpatient procedure called balloon sinuplasty. Don't know if it applies to you but it may be worth looking into.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_sinuplasty

Old 08-08-2018, 02:37 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ooh. I smell a free nose job in your future. I haven’t had a deviated septum but I’ve wished for one so I could get a better looking nose at the same time.

Of course surgery is never to be taken lightly, but if it can be corrected, once and for all, I’d do it.

haha i actually like my nose but yeah i guess if they could make it better looking at the same time that's cool too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I had the surgery in my mid 30's and I'm 80. My breathing is good and my nose is nice.

Good to know, that's what i would hope would happen. i assume the surgery went well then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I (still) have a deviated septum. It hasn't bothered me enough for me to do the surgery. But there are now new procedures that do not require surgery. The only reason I know about them is I hear commercials on TV and radio about them. It's an outpatient procedure called balloon sinuplasty. Don't know if it applies to you but it may be worth looking into.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_sinuplasty

Thank you! i will look into this.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
haha i actually like my nose but yeah i guess if they could make it better looking at the same time that's cool too

Good to know, that's what i would hope would happen. i assume the surgery went well then.

Thank you! i will look into this.
Oh it went well and as I said that was almost 50 yrs ago. I would look at the procedure gguerra mentioned as today I avoid all surgery if I can. Mind has changed a lot in many years.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:31 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
For years I was waking up extremely tired and decided to investigate because it was just not normal how tired I was feeling. I first investigated a thyroid issue but my blood work came back fine. I mentioned it to my sister in law who is a nurse and she suggested that I may have trouble breathing at night and said I should try a breathe right nose strip when I sleep. The first night i used the strip I woke up the next morning feeling SO much better. Not only that, but when I put on the strip I could feel my sinuses opening up and I could breathe so much better. I didn't know how bad it was until I felt it clear up.

So I've been using these nose strips for about a year and a half and I feel like the shape of my nose is literally starting to change, almost like I'm getting saddle nose. I googled this and a few people said that same thing so I no longer want to depend on these strips. So i decided to go to an ENT to finally have it checked. he said I have a deviated septum and prescribed me azelastine (nasal spray) but said that if the spray doesn't help then the only other option is surgery.

So i'm wondering if anyone has ever had surgery to fix a deviated septum??? did it help with breathing at night? if not, has anyone used a nasal spray to help them breathe better at night?

I kind of want to have the surgery. the idea of using a nasal spray every night forever just doesn't seem right to me and looking at some of the side effects is scary. I would definitely get a second opinion before surgery though, anyway just looking for any general input is appreciated!
I had surgery for a deviated septum in 1979. It was recommended because I was having a lot of sinus infections. The issues started when I was around 12 years old. An ENT doctor noticed that I could barely breath through one nostril but it would switch from side to side. I put up with it for a number of years before another doctor recommended surgery.

The surgery accomplished nothing. I can still only breath through one nostril at a time, and it still switches. I still have a lot of drainage in my throat and this supposedly makes me susceptible to infection. I would say that I ended up slightly worse after the surgery. I still mostly breath through my mouth since one nostril is mostly blocked at all times.

I would need much better evidence that this surgery would fix my issue before I did it again. I just took the surgeon's word that it would fix my problem.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:34 PM

OP: Based on what the poster said above, consider first what I said in a rep to you.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:58 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Keep in mind that a surgery in 1979 is not the same as a surgery today. I had a coworker who had the surgery probably about 5-6 years ago and she said it was life changing. She kept having breathing problems and sinus difficulties and could not figure out what was wrong with her and then she said she felt like a new woman after the surgery.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,696 times
I had surgery on mine five years ago and haven’t had a sinus infection since. I used to get them every year, sometimes more. Mine was sort of necessitated by breaking my nose and shattering bone into my sinuses so it was a bit more painful than most. Compared to other surgeries I’ve had though this one was a breeze. I was back at work in less than a week and jogging within 2 or 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness