U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:58 PM

1,653 posts, read 549,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And if you want one for other use or are actually advised to get one they are CHEAP - $70 on amazon. I'd never pay $300, especially for short term use and especially if I did not require an extra sturdy one due to weight, etc.
I'm 6'3" and mostly muscle. I'm not a normal size person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 04:06 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm 6'3" and mostly muscle. I'm not a normal size person.
You may not be the size of an average female but there are many men of your size and they don't have different rollators for men and women. Just like wheelchairs though they have supersturdy versions if you weigh over 300 pounds, for example.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:18 PM

1,653 posts, read 549,751 times
Quote:
You may not be the size of an average female but there are many men of your size and they don't have different rollators for men and women. Just like wheelchairs though they have supersturdy versions if you weigh over 300 pounds, for example.
I just want something nice. Is that okay? You might not spend $300 but that has nothing to do with me, does it?

Old 08-11-2018, 04:20 PM

12,622 posts, read 10,732,308 times
Quote:
I don't know; I'd kind of like to have one handy for when I get *really* old.
Thrift stores have them OFTEN! $7

Old 08-11-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I just want something nice. Is that okay? You might not spend $300 but that has nothing to do with me, does it?
Sorry - you mentioned before about using your father's old canes so I thought you were super thrifty to try to get by on those! Knock yourself out...but expensive doesn't always mean "nice".

Old 08-11-2018, 06:20 PM

7,649 posts, read 5,404,882 times
Quote:
Rollators are dangerous. The do not offer the stability and can roll away from you

Old 08-11-2018, 06:31 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,036,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's good to see the "new" ortho MD's are starting to work with other protocols like PRP/Stem Cells. The old time docs minds are closed, the one I talked to anyway..he's ready to retire and been doing surgeries for probably 30 yrs. I'm sure plenty of the surgeons have heard enough grief stories from their patients. I can just imagine. We have no idea, not even you doc.
but here's the thing jamin, those procedures have really low effective rates. I did the stem cell treatment program to the tune of 4K because my insurance carrier did not cover it. and the reason why many do not is because the effectiveness is extremely low.

Now the reason why we tried it was because I have an awesome ortho surgeon who made me try every type of treatment that was available.

Now my right knee is going, which we knew was going to happen and yes, we are working to keep it as long as possible. lol I'm probably wishing he'd hurry up and replace it.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:10 PM

18,778 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
but here's the thing jamin, those procedures have really low effective rates. I did the stem cell treatment program to the tune of 4K because my insurance carrier did not cover it. and the reason why many do not is because the effectiveness is extremely low.

Now the reason why we tried it was because I have an awesome ortho surgeon who made me try every type of treatment that was available.

Now my right knee is going, which we knew was going to happen and yes, we are working to keep it as long as possible. lol I'm probably wishing he'd hurry up and replace it.
We don't know the effective rate for the middle america person, most can't afford them and for the cutting of the surgeries as insurance pays. The old surgery world which is in the throes of change, more and more young ortho MD's are learning and doing PRP and Stem Cells. I'm seeing a new ortho sports MD next week and he's of the younger generation of MD's and does PRP and Stem Cells...I just posted some videos in the History of Prolotherapy thread in Alt Med. It's called Regenerative Medicine and keeps people from cutting the body. I've had a bad result, so I'm burned. And again more than one session is needed and people can't afford the out of pocket costs for t his non-invasive work. I've had it on my shoulder over 10 yrs ago and know it works. I had the original prolo and got 3 yrs of pain free shoulder issue. I could use it again so am working on that one.

If you are a fan of surgery, I say go for it. I am NOT. I don't know how much of the population can't wait to get surgery. I have NOT met any.

We've been thru similar discussions about this before and talk to the athletes who have this work done a lot, and they can afford it. So we can't say "no effective rate". This work is wildy effective and used in other parts of the world..I posted some links in the other PRP thread.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-11-2018 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Rollators are dangerous. The do not offer the stability and can roll away from you
They have hand brakes that help with that when you want to just stand and not actually move. They also have a seat that can help if you tire easily and need to take a break when you are outside. Besides if the doctor/PTs have a recommendation, that should be followed. Canes, rollators, and other assistive devices are to be used for specific purposes and conditions - you don't just pick one as a patient because you like it.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:49 PM

340 posts, read 219,429 times
My experiences, which may or may not apply to others:

Got one of the cheap walkers free from our local senior center. It was perfectly adequate for the month I used it. Now I keep it in the trunk of the car in the winter as it is great for stabilization if Im walking over icy pavement to get in and out of stores or hotels or the library in the winter.

The electric ice water pump with the Velcro wrap all around the knee was the best thing ever. Ice is not just your friend, it is your lover, your helpmeet, your soulmate. And the electric ice water pump delivered better than anything else, for me and my leg.

Used one of those things that look like a stiff dog leash with a loop at each end for about four weeks, to raise and lower my leg getting into and out of a car or bed. Then one day the quads miraculously reconnected and never needed it again.

Used one of those leg elevating foam cushions constantly in bed for a few months, it was great!

Had no trouble gradually cutting back on opiads, down to once a day before bed after three weeks, then none a couple weeks later. But using them as indicated made the experience tolerable. The opiads and the ice machine.

For a few weeks, I shampooed in a sink, leaning against the counter, to minimize time and slippery shampoo runoff in the shower itself. And for the rest of me, I did sponge baths the first 10 days or so. For a few weeks after that when I did start showering again, I wore my swim shoes from water aerobics to further minimize the chances of slipping and falling.

One last suggestion for those first few recovery months. Multitasking while moving is not a great idea, e.g. digging in a purse for keys, or talking on your cell, while walking. Stay completely focused on the mechanics of walking, then stand still and get balanced and supported before doing anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness