U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:42 PM

575 posts, read 140,979 times

Advertisements

The problem with so much of this is individual difference. If you fall outside of the bell curve, they can kill you. Almost happened to me twice. The first time they didnt know how sensitive I was to dosage of drugs. Just because I weigh x amt and just because the vast majority of patients weighing xamt can tolerate a certain level of anesthesia, they assume that I should too. Except I cant. The second time the anesthesiologist refused to listen. Couldnt posdibly be true so they overdosed me and it took many many many hours to wake up. And anesthesiologist didnt care. Thats another reason I dont have much to do with drs or the myriad of tests that get classified as preventive medicine. They dont listen if the patient happens to be different from the average.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:44 PM

496 posts, read 220,710 times
OP - there is risk in everything. The key is weighing the pros and cons carefully and then decide. We're sorry surgery did not turn out well for you, but you are not qualified to give or recommend any kind of medical advice.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:47 PM

18,795 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
OP - there is risk in everything. The key is weighing the pros and cons carefully and then decide. We're sorry surgery did not turn out well for you, but you are not qualified to give or recommend any kind of medical advice.
I'm not talking about Everything, I'm talking surgery. Why do the members forever go to "there is risk in everything"... yes life is a risk. I'm not giving advice, I'm posting info...don't you see this?

Old 08-16-2018, 01:21 PM

1,037 posts, read 620,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm not talking about Everything, I'm talking surgery. Why do the members forever go to "there is risk in everything"... yes life is a risk. I'm not giving advice, I'm posting info...don't you see this?
how about this? there is risk in every surgery. better?

Old 08-16-2018, 01:33 PM

27,476 posts, read 17,629,902 times
I think it serves as a good reminder, or at least, it can't hurt.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-16-2018, 01:43 PM

448 posts, read 84,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I am sorry, but that is just ridiculous. Before I even receive an IV the nurse brings the consent to read and asks if I have any questions since I am blind the nurse reads every bit of the consent form to me. Then the anesthesiologist stops by to ask questions and goes over the risks of anesthesia and lastly my surgeon comes in and goes over the procedure, possible outcomes and the risks involved.

Only then does any actual medication go into the IV to relax me as I am taken into the theater. In emergency situations my DH reads and signs the necessary documents. If anyone fails to take the situation seriously then they are simply foolish.
Yes, and that's the law. You can't put someone under the influence of mind-altering drugs and then ask them to sign a consent form. It wouldn't be a legal contract and wouldn't hold up court.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:47 PM

3,425 posts, read 2,123,623 times
There are also risks in NOT having the surgery if it's needed.

If someone is in a situation where surgery is needed immediately it usually means it's life-threatening or necessary to save a limb, etc. I think at that point, complications from surgery would be the least of their worries.

In 2018, I can't imagine that any rational adult doesn't know that surgery carries risk and those risks increase as you get older or are in ill health.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:47 PM

4,138 posts, read 1,540,807 times
I suppose there's an inconvenient catch-22 if you are someone who doesn't trust or believe anything an MD gives them to read or tells them; including procedure information or informed consent forms. If you assume it's all lies anyway, more convenient not to read the material. Easier to blame everyone else when you end up dissatisfied with the result. Another self-fulfilling prophesy.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:39 PM

4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times
There are risks to surgery...who knew??

Oh, that's right....anyone who has ever had surgery and has bothered to read and sign the consent prior to the procedure.

In other news, water is wet.....

Old 08-16-2018, 02:50 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
I almost died the last time I had surgery.

I had signed the consent forms two weeks before, when I met with the anesthesiologist to discuss what meds I would be given. I had to sign again the day of the surgery. And then the anesthesiologist who was actually going to be present during my surgery came in just before I was taken to the operating room and said everything I had discussed with the other anesthesiologist two weeks previous was not valid, and that she would be using different meds. At that point I was ready to get up and go home, but they insisted I had to have the surgery to make sure the precancerous cells were all gone, and it had been difficult to arrange a sitter for my kids and a day off for my husband, so I felt like I couldn't really back out of it at that point and have to arrange it all again later. I didn't start breathing again on my own when I was supposed to, and they said I had pneumonia and hadn't told them, which is completely untrue. I think I would have known if I had pneumonia. For a couple of years I wondered what had happened to me. My ob/gyn got the surgical notes for me, but she and I didn't see any clues there. Now I'm fairly certain I had an allergic reaction to propofol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or