U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 07:29 AM

6,724 posts, read 2,619,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In poor or rural areas, it's often dififcult to find healthy food, and it's expensive.
But in rural areas, you can grow your own very healthy food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 AM

7,081 posts, read 3,783,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It was also a remnant from the great depression when it was hard for people to afford basic food on a consistent basis.
Or when producing food actually took personal effort. My immigrant grandmother raised chickens, pigs, a vegetable garden, made her own pasta from scratch, etc. All that work, and you'd better clean your plate!

Old 08-28-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
But in rural areas, you can grow your own very healthy food.
Right, but... Who has time to do that now that we all have to be staring at our phones 24/7?

Personally, I believe this would be a useful enterprise for the population on public assistance.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:39 AM

17,229 posts, read 14,821,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Right, but... Who has time to do that now that we all have to be staring at our phones 24/7?

Personally, I believe this would be a useful enterprise for the population on public assistance.
Vegetable gardening requires an output of money to start, it is actually an expensive hobby, and if the person doesn't know what they are doing it might be for nothing. I don't think most people on assistance have anything extra from their check to even begin such a project. It might be a good project for a community, either a large public vegetable garden, or a city giving out tomato plants and fertilizer, etc. but it's just ignorance to assume they can go to Home Depot and purchase everything they'd need, including tools.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Vegetable gardening requires an output of money to start, it is actually an expensive hobby, and if the person doesn't know what they are doing it might be for nothing. I don't think most people on assistance have anything extra from their check to even begin such a project.
As meant as "workfare" versus "welfare." Teach people to be self-sustaining or at least to produce and give back something while receiving something.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 AM

18,807 posts, read 6,149,026 times
My friend keeps harping on the excessive Omega 6's we consume, which contribute to inflammation and obesity

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...e-inflammation

Old 08-28-2018, 11:11 AM

27,492 posts, read 17,642,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My friend keeps harping on the excessive Omega 6's we consume, which contribute to inflammation and obesity

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...e-inflammation
Cardiac problems and alzheimer's.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-02-2018, 04:28 PM

8,712 posts, read 2,326,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Finish everything on your plate" is a remnant from the days when people sat down at tables with their families three times a day for meals of healthy real food and THAT WAS ALL THEY ATE ALL DAY (the rest of the day they were engaged in physical labor or play). Now I can confidently say that most people I know don't eat meals at tables with family, but just eat constantly; again, usually while driving or riding in a car going somewhere or while mindlessly staring at a screen of some sort. "Big" difference!
In my mother's case it was play...tennis, swimming, or golf. There wasn't any manual labor being done by anyone in the family. I enjoyed another post on this thread where the poster mentioned that her grandparents had a washer and dryer in the early 1960s....that it wasn't as though they were washing clothes down by the river . That prompted me to think about the laundry room in the last of the two 'school year houses' my grandparents owned (and where my mother spent almost all of her childhood) in the 1930s and 1940s. It has been for sale within the last 25 years (my grandparents sold it in the late 1940s or early 1950s and moved to a smaller house that actually had more full bathrooms) and I stopped by to look at it. It was a 3+ level house, 6,000+ sf, with 6 bedrooms and 4 full and 2 half baths. One level consisted of a guest/'2nd housekeeper' bedroom, a hall bath, a housekeeper's bedroom with an en suite bath, and a big laundry room next to the housekeeper's bed and bath.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:12 PM

5,119 posts, read 9,416,029 times
Just back from 3 weeks in No. Italy and the population there was not obese the way we Americans are. And they eat lots of pasta and baked goods.

Their portions are a lot smaller, their ingredients are a lot purer, and they exercise a lot more than we do. Lots of walking, carrying of groceries, and evening strolls. Saw very few people drinking sodas...or eating "snacks" and junk food.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:16 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
the lean and low fat craze was b.s. watch the magic pill on Netflix

sugars and carbs are the real food demons not meat not fats

we reward kids with ice cream, we love pies cakes ...all kinds of sweets..

I have a sweet tooth love ice cream..pastries…..cookies.. its too easy to eat all this crap..

also 80 yrs ago 20% of the work force were office jobs..now its 3x that
we have a sedentary lifestyle..... and … I see a ton of people at planet fitness.... trying to lose weight because they let themselves go....instead of changing their ways at 25 lbs they wait to 100lbs overweight and more ..

maybe Europeans are more vocal about telling someone they better change their ways ...they are endangering their health by getting so big..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or