Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 12:17 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

Crappy calories in = crappy health out.

Our diets are way, way too high in sugar, salt, bad fats, and preservatives.

The result? Obesity & clogged arteries.

The number 1 killer in the USA is heart disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 12:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Then there's me. I'm an emotional eater. I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad, I eat through horror movies, I eat when I'm sick and tossing up, and I eat when I'm not hungry. It really sucks.
I am an emotional eater as well. I'm also a binge eater. It's a mental game too, and it does suck.

I've been there.

There's a lot of demons I have to deal with.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:46 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Interesting Read~ I do believe our food is the leading cause of obesity!

We’re in a new age of obesity. How did it happen? You’d be surprised...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/15/age-of-obesity-shaming-overweight-people
There are so many factors it is mind boggling. Stress is one (the state of the union, work, loss). Estrogen in meat is another.

Our livestock is fed estrogen (gain weight) and injected with antibiotics (super bug). When we eat them we eat what they ate. If they are treated inhumanely the flesh becomes spiritually toxic for human consumption.

Fast foods are more plastic versions of what they claim to be. A chicken burger - not all chicken. But because it has some chicken DNA in it it isn't illegal to call it chicken. The protein is 1/4 less in this product but the sodium content is through the roof.
Click here for news

Stress causes cortisol (steroid hormone) to spike and that translates to:
Rapid weight gain.
High blood pressure.
Muscle weakness.
Mood swings, anxiety and depression.
Impaired cognitive function (fuzzy brain)
Dampened thyroid function.
Blood sugar imbalances.
Poor sleep.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:14 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Portion sizes have gotten huge. I have vintage cookbooks and the average size of a serving mashed potatoes or pudding, for example, is half a cup. Weigh and measure your food and count calories so you know how much you are eating.

By the way, the size of a serving of ice cream is half a cup but how many people eat the whole pint of Ben and Jerry's, which is supposed to serve four people?

Old 08-21-2018, 05:10 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Portion sizes have gotten huge. I have vintage cookbooks and the average size of a serving mashed potatoes or pudding, for example, is half a cup. Weigh and measure your food and count calories so you know how much you are eating.

By the way, the size of a serving of ice cream is half a cup but how many people eat the whole pint of Ben and Jerry's, which is supposed to serve four people?

Remember years back. kids getting fatter and fatter. lets make that worse. Lets not make them exercise that off, lets buy them shoes that have wheels that pop out of the bottom, so they can glide around.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:

So true. Grilled chicken is a fine food. Before I counted calories I'd have 3-4 pieces. I was 250. Now I have 1. I'm 185.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Or four servings for one person, preferably not on the same day.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:53 AM

512 posts, read 321,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
"It’s not that we’re eating more, that we exercise less, or that we lack willpower. The shaming of overweight people has to stop"

I call out BS.

- people with self- discipline can be slim
- we drive more, walk less
- eating more and eating more of the bad stuff
- portions are bigger
- cooking less, eating more out
- more crappy food choices
- better advertisement of crappy food
- telling people it is ok to be huge leads to more people to be big.
- no war that makes food scarce
- not much manual labor anymore
- too many all you can eat buffets
- too many accommodations for the big - bigger cars/chairs/beds/clothes/even coffins!
- sizes get adjusted, people who used to be XXL are now L so they get delusional about their weight.
- bad food choices in schools and kindergartens
- wife's don't stay home anymore and cook healthy - everyone works, is overworked, has no time to cook
- people work too much, no time to exercise
- too many channels on tv, you'll never run out of stuff to watch
- videogames instead of playing outside, burning calories
- technology overall - you don't even have to get up to go somewhere, you can socialize online and buy everything you need.
- doctors don't tell people anymore when they get too big so they are in denial.
- everyone is on some sort of pain/depression/anxiety pills that make you retain water

... and so on ...
Bingo.

All of it.

The other day I was reading an online post in which some millenials were complaining about their doctors telling them to lose weight.
They were also looking for "body-and-fat-positive gyms"...
What in the bloody heck?
A doctor that tells people that it is ok to be fat shoud not be a doctor.
And where in the hell would one find a fricking gym that condones being overweight?
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Also, we have become too reliant on pills.
We take pills for everything.
We think that all we have will be fixed by medication.

And yes...people are simply not moving as they should.
One of the reasons I have never owned a car (and never will) is because I want to be "forced" to walk everywhere and be on the move all the time as part of a lifestyle that keeps my weight at a healthy level.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:57 AM

512 posts, read 321,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The human body is smarter than we give it credit, this ain't rocket science as they say. You take in excess calories and you don't burn it off, you get fat. You eat less than you need or exercise to create that caloric deficit, you lose weight. It really isn't that hard of a concept.
Bravo!! The mental gymnastics that many people do to justify their obesity is astounding.
Eat less (or eat in a smarter, healthier manner) and exercise more and watch as the pounds melt off.
LIke you said, it is NOT a hard concept.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I'd say it's explanation enough that no one does actual "work" anymore, but people sit around staring at a screen, combined with flavor-enhanced, highly caloric food being readily available around the clock. No more complicated explanation needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness