U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 04:47 PM

18,794 posts, read 6,138,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Get to know your body. Start looking in the toilet after going. Most food is undefinable.
If I go overboard a day on breads, I try to mitigate that and not do it more than 2 days in a row.
I suggest magnesium every day.
I agree, same with meats if one eats meat.. I have stopped bringing bread into my house and cut way back on meat consumption. Veggies, lots of water, good fats...and what I do to keep things moving.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:19 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
You don't have to be old to need a colonoscopy. You need one if you're having bowel issues that can't be diagnosed through other means. It sounds like that's what's going on for you, so just get it done. At least when you're older and start needing to have one every ten years, you'll already know exactly what to expect and won't be afraid.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:31 PM

14,695 posts, read 18,758,669 times
My father died a very ugly death from colon cancer at the age of 53. He was a doctor and knew the value of regular health exams. But that was back in January 1968 and colonoscopies didnt come into practice until 1969.

In my opinion, anyone who discourages people from getting a colonoscopy on this forum should not be allowed to post. Others may be influenced by that person's posts and end up suffering an agonizing death that could have been prevented by early diagnosis.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:40 PM

18,794 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
My father died a very ugly death from colon cancer at the age of 53. He was a doctor and knew the value of regular health exams. But that was back in January 1968 and colonoscopies didnt come into practice until 1969.

In my opinion, anyone who discourages people from getting a colonoscopy on this forum should not be allowed to post. Others may be influenced by that person's posts and end up suffering an agonizing death that could have been prevented by early diagnosis.
Moderator cut: off topic
OP: If you have a huge concern, you could ask your MD about Cologuard test and go from there. It's 1000 times easier and certainly not invasive.

Just reading your original post and it could be a case of constipation. So much of the world is constipated or really loose bowels, and that is now called IBS.

Just putting in my thoughts and I see many here have you you in cancer thinking, good lord.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-19-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 06:40 PM

3,045 posts, read 2,883,961 times
Not something I would ignore. Colonoscopy is the best for determining any issues. Yeah the day before prep is annoying but the procedure itself is over in no time. Not to be an alarmist but a feeling of not completely emptying your bowels after a bowel movement is a symptom of colon cancer. Just do it.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:01 PM

16,477 posts, read 15,913,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Well, colonoscopy IS using a flexible tube with a light and camera on the end....not a big deal.

just do it.
I agree. Have a colonoscopy. The doctor advised my husband to get one at age 50 but Hubby protested so much the doctor agreed that he could wait. At age 52, Hubby had a complete colon blockage due to a cancerous tumor. It was discovered when my husband couldn't eat and started vomited poop. Yes, vomiting poop.

The next year was a nightmare of surgeries and many, many hospitalizations, pooping in a bag, losing 60 to 70 pounds, and my husband nearly died on several occasions. But, on the bright side he did not die. His surgeon said that his cancer probably would have been detected ten years earlier and easily cured with a snip (no surgery) when it was just a tiny, little polyp if he had just had a colonoscopy. Even if he had a colonoscopy at age 50 it would have just meant a fairly minor surgery and not all the complications that he ended up having.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:45 PM

4,099 posts, read 1,715,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post

This. One day someone's going to take her advice and end up dead...

Old 08-17-2018, 09:18 PM

710 posts, read 396,059 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quoteMy niece's husband's father died from colon cancer. Her hubby gets a colonoscopy every year.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-19-2018 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 10:09 PM

14,695 posts, read 18,758,669 times
If you're going to discuss something, it would behoove you to learn a little about it first.

Colonoscopies were very routine 30+ years ago. The first colonoscopy in the United States was performed in 1969. And my first colonoscopy was in 1974.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-19-2018 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-18-2018, 12:19 AM

4,672 posts, read 5,832,199 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Colon cancer screening should begin at age 45 for most people. This is a no brainer since colorectal cancer, if caught in the early stages, is one of the most curable cancers. In the later stages, it is the second most deadly.

Quote:
The American Cancer Society estimate that about 1 in 21 men and 1 in 23 women in the United States will develop colorectal cancer during their lifetime. It is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, and the third for men. However, due to advances in screening techniques and improvements in treatments, the death rate from colorectal cancer has been falling.
I had a test before age 50. I can't remember if it was a sigmoidoscopy or proctoscopy, it was 20-25 years ago. It was uncomfortable because they pumped air inside me. A few years ago, I had a colonoscopy and the worst part of it was the prep, the actual colonoscopy was painless since it was done under conscious sedation. You can't have any solid food the day before and have to start drinking a Gatorade-Miralax solution at noon the day before the procedure. No eating for 36 hours was brutal for me and I left the doctor's office looking for a restaurant.

It is not a matter of starting a journey so young. Depending on whether they find polyps and your age will determine when you should be screened again. I was in my late 50s and told I didn't need another colonoscopy for ten years.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-19-2018 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or